    Can any one please recommend me an editor for coding Python. Thank u.
    I have Komodo (www.activestate.com) in my mind. Is the editor any good?

    regards.

    DeepBlue, May 9, 2006

  2. I'm on Windows XP, and I like Komodo a lot. It does php, html, perl,
    python, ruby etc. It's just a tad slow to load (takes about 10 seconds
    on my AMD Athlon 2700), but I usually leave it on all day, so I don't
    notice. If you're on Linux you might ask others.

    rpd

    BartlebyScrivener, May 9, 2006

  3. Vim.

    Everything else is Notepad.

    --
    Dale Strickland-Clark
    Riverhall Systems www.riverhall.co.uk

    Dale Strickland-Clark, May 9, 2006
  4. DeepBlue

    Guest

    I've always just used Idle myself.

    , May 9, 2006
  5. >> Vim

    Yes, and enjoy the month off work while you are learning how to use it
    ;>

    BartlebyScrivener, May 9, 2006
  6. Am Tue, 09 May 2006 14:37:53 +0100 schrieb Dale Strickland-Clark:

    > Vim.
    >
    > Everything else is Notepad.

    Vi or vim are good for editing config files over ssh. For programming
    I use XEmacs.

    HTH,
    Thomas

    --
    Thomas Güttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/
    Spam Catcher:

    Thomas Guettler, May 9, 2006
  7. DeepBlue

    malv Guest

    malv, May 9, 2006
  8. DeepBlue

    dfaber Guest

    I use Eclipse with the Pydev plugin. It's great way to start
    familiarizing yourself with Python. The editor has got great features
    and the debugger will be a great help too. Vim is great too but may be
    not a good idea if you are new to Python.

    Good luck!

    dfaber, May 9, 2006
  9. DeepBlue

    Jerry Guest

    I have used Eclipse+PyDev in the past. I don't use the debugger though
    and don't find the outline all that useful, so now I just use the
    PythonWin interface that comes with the ActiveState Python
    distribution.

    Another one that I've heard lots of people seem to like is Stani's
    Python Editor (SPE). You can find it at
    http://stani.be/python/spe/blog/

    Jerry, May 9, 2006
  10. DeepBlue

    John Salerno Guest

    DeepBlue wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can any one please recommend me an editor for coding Python. Thank u.
    > I have Komodo (www.activestate.com) in my mind. Is the editor any good?
    >
    > regards.

    As a newbie (referring to myself), I recommend typing everything by hand
    first, so you will learn all the little things that need to be done. I
    find that IDEs, and even some editors that have auto-complete, etc.,
    necessarily cause your mind to skip over some things that, while you are
    new to the language, you should do manually.

    Of course, if you aren't new, ignore this post entirely! :)

    John Salerno, May 9, 2006
  11. DeepBlue

    Jack Guest

    PyScripter, a nativen Windows application, free.

    Jack, May 9, 2006
  12. DeepBlue

    mystilleef Guest

    mystilleef, May 10, 2006
  13. Thomas Guettler wrote:
    > Am Tue, 09 May 2006 14:37:53 +0100 schrieb Dale Strickland-Clark:
    >

    >>Vim.
    >>Everything else is Notepad.

    > Vi or vim are good for editing config files over ssh. For programming
    > I use XEmacs.

    Smelling napalm here.

    If you don't want to use vim you should give eric3 a try.

    Cheers,
    Nikolai

    --
    "1984" is not a howto!

    Nikolai Hlubek, May 11, 2006
  14. Looking at their flash demo made me want to try it, but after all
    dependencies installed, I get "Fatal Python error: can't initialise module
    gtksourceview Aborted (core dumped)"

    Is it stable ?

    Philippe

    Philippe Martin, May 11, 2006