    (".") on the keyboard, a list of objects shows up, such as FieldStorage(),
    etc.. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

    Dustin

    Dustin, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Dustin

    Dustin Guest

    I believe what I'm looking for is an "autocomplete" capable editor :)

    "Dustin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just started programming in Python last night, and I've really enjoyed

    my

    Dustin, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Dustin

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Dustin wrote:

    > I just started programming in Python last night, and I've really enjoyed my
    > experience so far. I would like to know if there is a Windows editor that
    > recognizes Python and will support a module syntax/definition lists For
    > instance, let's say that I set form = cgi and then when I hit the period
    > (".") on the keyboard, a list of objects shows up, such as FieldStorage(),
    > etc.. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

    SciTE can handle that: http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTE.html
    So can practically every other halfway decent editor these days,
    most likely.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Noah from IT Goes Click, Apr 21, 2004
  5. PythonWin (part of the pywin32/win32all package) has limited
    autocomplete. Basically it will auto-complete for modules which are
    loaded, so if you import cgi in the interactive session then you will
    have autocompletion for cgi. If the module is not loaded, then PythonWin
    uses a simpler algorithm that searches through the current file looking
    for x.y notations where x matches your currently-begun x.

    PythonWin also has very nice ctrl+space identifier completion which
    searches back/forward from where you're typing, so you can type longer
    identifiers with just a few keystrokes.

    Would be nice to have that same set of mechanisms in all Python
    editors. I believe Boa has auto-completion in much the same way. Not
    sure about the other win32 editors. I think the Activestate IDEs may
    have auto-completion, but again, not sure.

    Good luck and welcome,
    Mike

    Dustin wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I just started programming in Python last night, and I've really enjoyed my
    >experience so far. I would like to know if there is a Windows editor that
    >recognizes Python and will support a module syntax/definition lists For
    >instance, let's say that I set form = cgi and then when I hit the period
    >(".") on the keyboard, a list of objects shows up, such as FieldStorage(),
    >etc.. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!
    >
    >Dustin

    _______________________________________
    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

    Mike C. Fletcher, Apr 21, 2004
  6. Re: Maybe Komodo might do it

    Komodo will do it. It will even autocomplete custom class information.
    For example, if I type:

    x.y.z = 5

    the next time I type x. it will autocomplete (suggest) that I add 'y'
    and so on. (woooo, aahhhhhh...)

    Gabriel Cooper, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Dustin

    Dustin Guest

    Thank you everyone. I will test out the various editors! :)

    Dustin, Apr 21, 2004
  8. The best auto-completion you can get for Python is: WingIde
    http://wingide.com/

    Normally WingIDE is quite good at auto-completion but sometimes it needs
    some help:

    if wingIde does not "recognize" a class you may add:

    assert isinstance(btnHello, wxButton)

    and after that point it will handle this for you too...

    Good luck,
    Marco

    Marco Aschwanden, Apr 22, 2004
  9. Dustin

    Hemanth P.S. Guest

    You can also give SPE (Stani's Python Editor) a try. (http://spe.pycs.net)

    ---Hemanth

    Hemanth P.S., Apr 22, 2004
  10. Marco Aschwanden <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > The best auto-completion you can get for Python is: WingIde
    > http://wingide.com/
    >
    > Normally WingIDE is quite good at auto-completion but sometimes it needs
    > some help:
    >
    > if wingIde does not "recognize" a class you may add:
    >
    > assert isinstance(btnHello, wxButton)
    >
    > and after that point it will handle this for you too...

    But keep in mind that auto-completion is by concepts miles away from
    what you see in Java. The problem for us who try to implement this
    feature is always that most people don't understand why this is
    impossible in a dynamically typed language.

    Lothar Scholz, Apr 22, 2004
  11. Dustin

    Ed Suominen Guest

    PyPE seems like a really nice piece of work as well.

    Ed Suominen, Apr 23, 2004
  12. > But keep in mind that auto-completion is by concepts miles away from
    > what you see in Java. The problem for us who try to implement this
    > feature is always that most people don't understand why this is
    > impossible in a dynamically typed language.

    Not quite impossible, but very difficult. It is impossible in a
    practical sense for editors that don't use a parser capable of creating
    an abstract syntax tree (generally compiler.ast or the tokenizer module
    are used in editors written in Python).

    Furthermore, it usually involves questions like "how many levels of
    imports should we deal with, and how much namespace emulation should be
    done", which involves potentially expensive namespace creation,
    modification, and later recreation ("from module import *" becoming
    "import module" being one of them) in more than a single level of
    namespace. Quite an ugly problem that you're hard-pressed to find an
    editor (for dynamically typed languages) with a decent implementation.

    WingIDE's method for getting past some inference checks is nifty, though
    I would be a bit irked if I used autocompletion (I don't) and needed to
    pepper my code with (unneeded) assert statements just to get it to work
    all the time.

    - Josiah

    Josiah Carlson, Apr 26, 2004