python for perl programmers?

Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Hi Folks,

Not out of choice, I'm going to have to learn python on
Windows. I've used perl on Unix forever and totally hate
the idea, but like I said, no choice.

What I'm looking for is a some sort of a Learning python
for perl programmers. I don't think I need plain old
programming help, but something that will translate all
those nice perl concepts into the equivelant python
constructs. I don't have a *.python.advocacy on this
news server, otherwise I would have started there.
I've already checked out the docs on python.org, and didn't
really like what I saw.

I don't get: you have to tell a subroutine a variable is a
global if you want to write it, otherwise its local, else
not required if its read only? WTF?

Thx, Chris

John Bokma

Chris said:
Hi Folks,

Not out of choice, I'm going to have to learn python on
Windows. I've used perl on Unix forever and totally hate
the idea, but like I said, no choice.

What I'm looking for is a some sort of a Learning python
for perl programmers. I don't think I need plain old
programming help, but something that will translate all
those nice perl concepts into the equivelant python
constructs.

I personally think that is a bad idea.
I don't have a *.python.advocacy on this
news server, otherwise I would have started there.
I've already checked out the docs on python.org, and didn't
really like what I saw.

That happens with every new language you learn :-D. I wonder how many
people really liked Perl the first time ;-)
I don't get: you have to tell a subroutine a variable is a
global

our ?
if you want to write it, otherwise its local, else
not required if its read only? WTF?

Laziness? :)

David H. Adler

We're so sorry. :)
I personally think that is a bad idea.

I think it's not so much a bad idea as a virtually impossible idea.
Perl and Python are, in many ways, completely different. I would doubt
that many Perl idioms would be translatable into Python.

But that's just my opinion.

dha

David K. Wall

Not out of choice, I'm going to have to learn python on
Windows. I've used perl on Unix forever and totally hate
the idea, but like I said, no choice.

What I'm looking for is a some sort of a Learning python
for perl programmers. I don't think I need plain old
programming help, but something that will translate all
those nice perl concepts into the equivelant python
constructs. I don't have a *.python.advocacy on this
news server, otherwise I would have started there.
I've already checked out the docs on python.org, and didn't
really like what I saw.

I've dabbled with Python a little, and collected a few links at
http://ylatis.com/cgi-bin/shire?PythonLanguage

I suspect "Dive into Python" is the best for your purposes:
http://diveintopython.org/

You might also find the Portland Pattern Repository Wiki page for the
Python language to be useful: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonLanguage

Markus Dehmann

Chris said:
Hi Folks,

Not out of choice, I'm going to have to learn python on
Windows. I've used perl on Unix forever and totally hate
the idea, but like I said, no choice.

What I'm looking for is a some sort of a Learning python
for perl programmers. I don't think I need plain old
programming help, but something that will translate all
those nice perl concepts into the equivelant python
constructs.

I asked pretty much the same question in comp.lang.python. You can check it
out, it's the same subject "Python for Perl programmers?", from Sep 20,
2004, with 20 postings.

Here is what they said, in a nutshell:

1) http://pleac.sourceforge.net/ (this is really exactly what you want)

2) http://www.python.org/moin/PerlPhrasebook

3) > "Programming Python" by Mark Lutz I found to be helpful as it has lots
of examples.
"Python Essential Reference" by David Beazley was useful for its
Python quickstart and library reference.

4) >the 1st 10 chapters in David Beazley's Python
Essential Reference are great -- they give a short but thorough
introduction to the core features. For a more comprehensive and
recent treatment, take a look at Python in a Nutshell and The Python
Cookbook.

Markus

Michael Coleman 0wnRy3zgJosv6

I've used perl on Unix forever and totally hate the idea

Does sound pretty unpleasant. :)
What I'm looking for is a some sort of a Learning python for perl
programmers.

Speaking as a former Perl programmer, I think you'll proceed fastest
and get the most out of your time if you just empty your mind of Perl
and approach it openly. Beazley's book "Python Essential Reference"
used to be a great way to force-feed yourself Python in the shortest
amount of time; I haven't looked at the latest edition, though.

Mike