Python IDE

linuxfreak

Hi guys,
Got going with python...and i must say its a pretty cool language.
Been using Xemacs to write me programs. But I want an IDE that would
give me auto-completion, online help and the like... Tried SPE and
Dr.Pyhton but the former crashes regulary and the latter is quite
unweildy and does not have a great many features. I quite like the UML
feature found in SPE but the damn thing crashes way too often. What are
you guys using and what do you think is the best IDE...or should i
stick with Xemacs/emacs???

ncf

Honestly, I'm just using Python's own IDLE to do it all. It works
rather well for my tastes :)

peterbe

A lot of people swear by WingIDE and as an IDE I think it's the best
one there is. (Personally I prefer jed or xjed but that's because I
like to work that way)

Mage

linuxfreak said:
Hi guys,
Got going with python...and i must say its a pretty cool language.
Been using Xemacs to write me programs. But I want an IDE that would
give me auto-completion, online help and the like... Tried SPE and
Dr.Pyhton but the former crashes regulary and the latter is quite
unweildy and does not have a great many features. I quite like the UML
feature found in SPE but the damn thing crashes way too often. What are
you guys using and what do you think is the best IDE...or should i
stick with Xemacs/emacs???
I use Eclipse with the python plugin. It never crashed. I set it to
display tabs as two spaces and Eclipse tells if I type spaces instead of
tabs by accident. I like it.
I had no luck with the code completion, but do you really need that for
writing python programs?

Mage

Chris Lambacher

I use Vim. It does code completion and jump to variable/function definition.
Emacs does this too. You just need to read the documentation about on how to
set this up to your liking. The only feature that Vim does not have that I
would like is the function argument pop up, but I want that more for C than
Python. It looks like Vim 7 is supposed to have this.

If you are afraid of Vim, you might want to try cream:
http://cream.sf.net

-Chris

JZ

Dnia Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:26:38 +0200, Mage napisa³(a):
I had no luck with the code completion,

It works. Just type sys. and wait a while. But you have to set up pydev
first. Check PyDev->Builder->Use Builders and PyDev->CodeCompletion->...

Dave Cook

you guys using and what do you think is the best IDE...or should i
stick with Xemacs/emacs???

http://pydev.sf.net

You get the stability of Eclipse with that, but also the fat.

I swear I had code completion working in this, but last time I tried to set
it up I got frustrated and gave up, so put aside some time to learn your way
around Eclipse if you intend to use this. I still don't feel quite at home
there.

Personally, I don't find code completion compelling enough a feature to give
up my beloved XEmacs and python-mode.

Dave Cook

Luis M. Gonzalez

linuxfreak said:
Hi guys,
Got going with python...and i must say its a pretty cool language.
Been using Xemacs to write me programs. But I want an IDE that would
give me auto-completion, online help and the like... Tried SPE and
Dr.Pyhton but the former crashes regulary and the latter is quite
unweildy and does not have a great many features. I quite like the UML
feature found in SPE but the damn thing crashes way too often. What are
you guys using and what do you think is the best IDE...or should i
stick with Xemacs/emacs???

Have you tried PyCrust?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pycrust/

Franz Steinhaeusler

Tried SPE and
Dr.Pyhton but the former crashes regulary and the latter is quite
unweildy and does not have a great many features

Hello,

what are you missing in DrPython?
Did you took a look at the plugins?
What do you mean by "unweildly"?

Franz Steinhaeusler

It is long time ago, that pycrust was delevoped
as sourceforge project.

It is part of the wxPython distribution and
I have recently added some features.

You could take a look at wxPython-user mailing list.

Pycrust is great to try/play with Python and wxPython.

But also DrPython has a powerful shell prompt.

projecktzero

You should probably stick with Xemacs. I use VIM, but I would be
surprised if Xemacs doesn't have those features you want. Also, it's
probably better to learn one editor well than a little bit of a bunch
of different editors.

Florian Diesch

linuxfreak said:
Got going with python...and i must say its a pretty cool language.
Been using Xemacs to write me programs. But I want an IDE that would

I'm using GNU emacs
give me auto-completion,

Read the manual about tags and abbrevs
online help

python-mode has C-c C-h for py-help-at-point
and the like... Tried SPE and
Dr.Pyhton but the former crashes regulary and the latter is quite
unweildy and does not have a great many features. I quite like the UML
feature found in SPE but the damn thing crashes way too often. What are
you guys using and what do you think is the best IDE...or should i
stick with Xemacs/emacs???

I don't like specialized IDE's as I'm using different languages and
don't want to switch my editor for them.

Florian

linuxfreak

ok will give it a shot.
I had tried the 0.7.2 version with wxPython 2.6 and the moment i place
the cursor in a class name and pressed the space or the enter
key.....booom there it went crashing without a trace. But i did like
what little i saw of it (apart from the crashes, of course) and the UML
diagram feature was just great. Lemme use this version and then i can
give some feedback. One more thing....I'm trying to use the
wxStyledTextCtrl in one of my programs....any pointers to where I can
find a good tutorial....Tried yellowbrain.com but it just has the docs
and not a tutorial. Thanks a ton and keep up the good work