python license apply to all mdules?

Mark Hahn

Does the python license apply to all the modules in the standard
distribution?

For example, does the bsddb module only require the standard python license
or does it include the sleepycat restrictions?

Nick Vargish

Mark Hahn said:
For example, does the bsddb module only require the standard python license
or does it include the sleepycat restrictions?

Since it doesn't include the Sleepycat database code, I'm not sure how
the Sleepycat restrictions could apply. If you decide to install the
Sleepycat software, naturally their license would apply (especially if
you were going to bundle it in a package that you distribute).

If you look as the bsdbmodule.c file, you can see there's no license
information at the start of the file. I suspect this means that the
standard Python license applies.

IANAL, so please don't treat the above as legal advice.

Nick

vincent wehren

| > For example, does the bsddb module only require the standard python
license
| > or does it include the sleepycat restrictions?
|
| Since it doesn't include the Sleepycat database code, I'm not sure how
| the Sleepycat restrictions could apply. If you decide to install the
| Sleepycat software, naturally their license would apply (especially if
| you were going to bundle it in a package that you distribute).
|
| If you look as the bsdbmodule.c file, you can see there's no license
| information at the start of the file. I suspect this means that the
| standard Python license applies.

If OP uses Python23, it's more likely OP will want to look at _bsddb.c
instead of bsdbmodule.c ...

Regards,
Vincent Wehren

| IANAL, so please don't treat the above as legal advice.
|
| Nick
|
| --
| # sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a
python
| print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),'
Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Mark Hahn

Thanks Nick and Vincent.

I notice that in _bsddb.c that I am to copy the Digital Creations license in
my documentation for anything I distribute that uses it. Do a lot of
modules have such a license? I suppose this means that I must go through
all the source files for all modules I use in anything I distribute and do
the same.

I don't seem to remember any such citation in any of the many python docs
I've read. Is it possible that most people ignore this kind of rule? (I'm
not asking to get out of it, I'm just curious).

Just for ducks, I downloaded the spambayes outlook plugin, which is a
premiere app for python and must use a lot of modules. I couldn't find any
citations anywhere in any docs.