    distribution?

    For example, does the bsddb module only require the standard python license
    or does it include the sleepycat restrictions?
    Mark Hahn, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Mark Hahn

    Nick Vargish Guest

    "Mark Hahn" <> writes:

    > For example, does the bsddb module only require the standard python license
    > or does it include the sleepycat restrictions?

    Since it doesn't include the Sleepycat database code, I'm not sure how
    the Sleepycat restrictions could apply. If you decide to install the
    Sleepycat software, naturally their license would apply (especially if
    you were going to bundle it in a package that you distribute).

    If you look as the bsdbmodule.c file, you can see there's no license
    information at the start of the file. I suspect this means that the
    standard Python license applies.

    IANAL, so please don't treat the above as legal advice.

    Nick

    --
    # sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
    print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')
    Nick Vargish, Nov 23, 2003

  3. "Nick Vargish" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    | "Mark Hahn" <> writes:
    |
    | > For example, does the bsddb module only require the standard python
    license
    | > or does it include the sleepycat restrictions?
    |
    | Since it doesn't include the Sleepycat database code, I'm not sure how
    | the Sleepycat restrictions could apply. If you decide to install the
    | Sleepycat software, naturally their license would apply (especially if
    | you were going to bundle it in a package that you distribute).
    |
    | If you look as the bsdbmodule.c file, you can see there's no license
    | information at the start of the file. I suspect this means that the
    | standard Python license applies.

    If OP uses Python23, it's more likely OP will want to look at _bsddb.c
    instead of bsdbmodule.c ...

    Regards,
    Vincent Wehren

    vincent wehren, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    Thanks Nick and Vincent.

    I notice that in _bsddb.c that I am to copy the Digital Creations license in
    my documentation for anything I distribute that uses it. Do a lot of
    modules have such a license? I suppose this means that I must go through
    all the source files for all modules I use in anything I distribute and do
    the same.

    I don't seem to remember any such citation in any of the many python docs
    I've read. Is it possible that most people ignore this kind of rule? (I'm
    not asking to get out of it, I'm just curious).

    Just for ducks, I downloaded the spambayes outlook plugin, which is a
    premiere app for python and must use a lot of modules. I couldn't find any
    citations anywhere in any docs.

    Mark Hahn, Nov 23, 2003