*.python.org broken?

tgvaughan

Hi all,

Is anybody else having trouble accessing sites (including www, docs,
wiki) in the python.org tree, or is it just me? (Or just .au?)

Cheers,

Tim

Hi all,

Is anybody else having trouble accessing sites (including www, docs,
wiki) in the python.org tree, or is it just me? (Or just .au?)

Cheers,

Tim

No problem here???

Philip Semanchuk

Hi all,

Is anybody else having trouble accessing sites (including www, docs,
wiki) in the python.org tree, or is it just me? (Or just .au?)

No problem here in Durham, NC, USA.

Tim Chase

Is anybody else having trouble accessing sites (including www, docs,
wiki) in the python.org tree, or is it just me? (Or just .au?)

I've had problems[1] browsing them (most irksomely, the docs)
from Dillo thanks to what are apparently poor handling of IPv6
fallback rules. Dillo gets an IPv6 IP address back from DNS,
tries it and fails because my ISP or router doesn't talk IPv6.
However Dillo fails to fallback to IPv4 which does work (bug
filed with the Debian maintainers of Dillo[2]). If I switch to
using a less broken browser (Epiphany, Lynx, FireFox/IceWeasel,
Safari, telnet:80, urllib), it works fine here in the Dallas
area. If I disable IPv6 on my Linux box (not a great loss at
this point), Dillo works as well.

Tests to check:

Can you resolve the IP address from the name?
bash$ dig docs.python.org
bash$ dig -6 docs.python.org

Can you ping the target IP address?
bash$ ping docs.python.org
bash$ ping 82.94.164.162
(try ping6 as well)

Can you traceroute to the IP address (and where does it die)?
bash$ traceroute docs.python.org
bash$ traceroute -6 docs.python.org

Can you telnet:80 to the target IP address?
bash$ telnet docs.python.org 80
GET / HTTP/1.1
host: docs.python.org

Have you tried from other local ISPs? (cafe, work, school)

-tkc

PS: Thanks again, Martin, for your tips in troubleshooting this
for me.

[1]
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-November/517812.html

[2]
http://bugs.debian.org/507251

tgvaughan

Hi Tim, thanks for your post. I could resolve but not ping, which has
been the situation for the last couple of days. But not any more! I
was just in the process of checking whether or not I could connect via
another ISP when I discovered that the problem has apparently fixed
itself. Which is great, but weird.

Thanks again,

Tim

Cousin Stanley

Is anybody else having trouble accessing sites (including www, docs,
wiki) in the python.org tree, or is it just me? (Or just .au?)

Yes, connecting to python.org sites has been problematic
for me as well ....

I don't remember when the trouble started, but it's been
problematic for at least a week or longer here ....

Steve Holden

Cousin said:
Yes, connecting to python.org sites has been problematic
for me as well ....

I don't remember when the trouble started, but it's been
problematic for at least a week or longer here ....
Perhaps traceroute might start to provide some information about the
problem. As far as I know there haven't been any unscheduled outages on
the python.org servers recently.

regards
Steve

gmail_cs

I experienced the same problem here in Brazil. Tweeks ago I could not
access any *.python.org site. Today I tried and it worked. The
problem seemed to be limited to Python's domain because I could
access every other site that I tried the same day.
Carlos Ribeiro

Since yesterday ( Monday 2009-01-26 ) I can again access
http://python.org with no problems ....