Python packages on the Mac

arunasunil

Hi,

I would like to copy the contents of the PythonFramework.pkg folder
and run python without having to run the installer on the Mac. On
windows it's simple to copy the contents of the python folder and the
python dll's. How can this be done on the Mac?

Thanks
Sunil

Jeff

Hi,

I would like to copy the contents of the PythonFramework.pkg folder
and run python without having to run the installer on the Mac. On
windows it's simple to copy the contents of the python folder and the
python dll's. How can this be done on the Mac?

Thanks
Sunil

Are you trying to make a script for easy distribution without having
to first install Python? Look here: http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html

Kevin Walzer

Hi,

I would like to copy the contents of the PythonFramework.pkg folder
and run python without having to run the installer on the Mac. On
windows it's simple to copy the contents of the python folder and the
python dll's. How can this be done on the Mac?

Thanks
Sunil

There are a few GUI tools to unpack a pkg bundle on the Mac: here's one
I like:

http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/

This will unpack the contents into a separate directory.

If you would rather do it from the command line, cd into the package
bundle, find the Archive.pax.gz file, and try this command:

gzcat Archive.pax.gz | pax -r

"man pax" can tell you more about the pax command, pkg bundles, and the
like.

arunasunil

Are you trying to make a script for easy distribution without having
to first install Python?  Look here:http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html

In this case, I do not want to make a distribution package. On windows
I am able to copy the contents of Python25 and a few pydll's to the
same directory and run python on a machine which doesn't have python
installed. Mac doing the same doesn't work.

This allows me to distribute various scripts for different purposes to
be executed by the user within my group.

Sunil