Python, readline and OS X

Ron Garret

I have installed Python 2.5 on my new Intel Mac but I can't for the life
of me get readline to work. I have libreadline installed, I've tried
copying readline.so from my Python 2.3 installation into 2.5, I've
searched the web, and no joy. Could someone please give me a clue?

rg

James Stroud

Ron said:
I have installed Python 2.5 on my new Intel Mac but I can't for the life
of me get readline to work. I have libreadline installed, I've tried
copying readline.so from my Python 2.3 installation into 2.5, I've
searched the web, and no joy. Could someone please give me a clue?

rg

Where have you installed libreadline? Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to the
directory libreadline.dylib? Did you install libreadline with fink? If
so, try

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /sw/lib

before compiling (csh).

Bash (OSX default) and similar shells use this silly 2 part syntax:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Do a "locate libreadline.dylib" and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the
containing directory and then

make clean
./configure
make
make install

or similar.

Irmen de Jong

Ron said:
I have installed Python 2.5 on my new Intel Mac but I can't for the life
of me get readline to work. I have libreadline installed, I've tried
copying readline.so from my Python 2.3 installation into 2.5, I've
searched the web, and no joy. Could someone please give me a clue?

rg

Does the info in a blog article that I wrote help?

http://www.razorvine.net/frog/user/irmen/article/2006-05-08/87

I used this when I compiled my Python 2.5 on my mac, and
it seemed to work ;-)

I'm now using the python.org binary distribution though and that seems to
contain a working readline as well.... ?

--Irmen

Ron Garret

James Stroud said:
Where have you installed libreadline?
/usr/local/lib

Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to the directory libreadline.dylib?

It wasn't, but changing it so it did didn't fix the problem. (I didn't
try recompiling Python, just running it. I'll try rebuilding later.)
Did you install libreadline with fink?

No, I just got the source from the FSF and did ./configure ; make install
Bash (OSX default) and similar shells use this silly 2 part syntax:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Actually you can do it in one line: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=whatever

:)
Do a "locate libreadline.dylib" and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the
containing directory and then

make clean
./configure
make
make install

or similar.

I'll give that a whirl. Thanks.

rg

James Stroud

Ron said:
It wasn't, but changing it so it did didn't fix the problem. (I didn't
try recompiling Python, just running it. I'll try rebuilding later.)

You must re-compile python, starting with configure so that configure
can identify the readline libraries. Otherwise it will compile with no
readline, which is your current situation

Actually you can do it in one line: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=whatever

Ok. Now I'll switch to bash.

James

Ron Garret

James Stroud said:
You must re-compile python, starting with configure so that configure
can identify the readline libraries. Otherwise it will compile with no
readline, which is your current situation

That did the trick. Thanks!

rg

Hi James, hi Ron,
Where have you installed libreadline? Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to the
directory libreadline.dylib? Did you install libreadline with fink? If
so, try

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /sw/lib

That would probably make no difference since on Mac OS X that variable
is called DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (contrary to SysV Unices).
Bash (OSX default) and similar shells use this silly 2 part syntax:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

It's just your way of using it that makes it a 2 part syntax:

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib

does the trick. And by the way: the bash construct is far less error
prone regarding quoting when used in shell scripts.

Mark