    program in VisualBasic"

    This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    aplications.

    azrael, Apr 22, 2008

  2. azrael schrieb:
    > Hy guys,
    > A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
    > jokes on python's cost.
    >
    > Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
    > like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
    > program in VisualBasic"
    >
    > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    > aplications.

    This isn't worth too much, but nontheless:

    http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

    Klick on Perl & Python respectively to see who's going to need to use
    something else some day.

    But the real problem is not your friend - it's you. He hurts you because
    you let him. Stop getting mad about that he teases you.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 22, 2008

  3. azrael wrote:

    > Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
    > like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
    > program in VisualBasic"
    >
    > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    > aplications.

    He's joking. Perl is a dysfunctional language and its users need a
    strong sense of humor to go on, day after day.

    Marco Mariani, Apr 22, 2008
  4. azrael

    Max M Guest

    azrael skrev:

    > Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
    > like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
    > program in VisualBasic"

    When I started writing in Python in the nineties there was a lot of
    tech-media coverage of Perl. Python was always mentioned as a rival to
    Perl in those articles.

    These days Python is mentioned in a lot of tech-articles. Perl is never
    mentioned as a rival in those articles. Other languages like Ruby are.

    Ok I am Python biased, but I don't see anything happen on the Perl front
    anymore. It has simply gone quiet.

    --

    hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

    http://www.mxm.dk/
    IT's Mad Science

    Max M, Apr 22, 2008
  5. azrael

    azrael Guest

    Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,
    But i can't come up with a big name. I know that there are a lot of
    companys using python, but is there anythong big written only in
    python. I want him to **** of with his perl once and for all time

    azrael, Apr 22, 2008
  6. http://panela.blog-city.com/python_at_google_greg_stein__sdforum.htm

    Google big enough?

    ....or look at the companies on the "NASA uses Python... ...so does:"
    box on the top (nearly top any how!) right of http://www.python.org/

    Wesley Brooks, Apr 22, 2008
  7. azrael

    Chris Guest

    On Apr 22, 1:53 pm, azrael <> wrote:
    > Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,
    > But i can't come up with a big name. I know that there are a lot of
    > companys using python, but is there anythong big written only in
    > python. I want him to **** of with his perl once and for all time

    http://www.python.org/about/success/
    nuff said

    Chris, Apr 22, 2008
  8. azrael a écrit :
    > Hy guys,
    > A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
    > jokes on python's cost.

    s/proud/stupid/

    > Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
    > like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
    > program in VisualBasic"
    >
    > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    > aplications.

    Don't let cretins hurt you. One of my best friends who is a die-hard
    Perl addict really loves Python too, and finds this kind of pissing
    contests more than stupid.

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Apr 22, 2008
  9. On Apr 22, 6:34 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <> wrote:
    > azrael schrieb:
    >
    > > Hy guys,
    > > A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
    > > jokes on python's cost.

    > > Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
    > > like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
    > > program in VisualBasic"

    > > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    > > aplications.

    > This isn't worth too much, but nontheless:
    >
    > http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
    >
    > Klick on Perl & Python respectively to see who's going to need to use
    > something else some day.

    One more limited worth datapoint:

    http://www.google.com/trends?q=python programming, perl programming&ctab=0

    George Sakkis, Apr 22, 2008
  10. azrael

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Apr 22, 6:25 am, azrael <> wrote:
    > Hy guys,
    > A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
    > jokes on python's cost.
    >
    > Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
    > like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
    > program in VisualBasic"
    >
    > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    > aplications.

    Let me tell you a little story to let you know how you should act in
    situations like this. Some of you might have heard it before.
    Apologies if it's a bit long.

    There was once a young man who absolutely loved clowns. He always
    dreamed of meeting a clown, and laughing at their silly antics, but he
    lived in a rural small town and never got to see any.

    Then one day when the circus came to town. The young man was
    unbelievably excited, he was finally going to be able to see a clown!
    He camped out at the ticket booth and was the first in line to get a
    ticket, because he so loved clowns that he wanted to sit right up
    front.

    The yound man never had a better time in his life, watching all the
    clowns and their funny tricks. Then a young talented clown came out
    to work the crowd. He went right up to the young man, who couldn't
    believe his luck: a clown was doing his act with him!

    The clown asked the man, "Are you front end of an ass?"

    The young man said, "Um, no."

    Then the clown asked the man, "Are you the rear end of an ass?"

    The young man, a little confused, said, "No."

    Then the clown, with nearly perfect comedic timing, said, "Then you
    must be no end of an ass!"

    The crowd roared with laughter, but the young man was crushed. He
    couldn't believe that the clowns he adored so much could be so mean.

    He went home from the circus utterly distraught and humiliated, and
    soon fell into a deep depression. He eventually lost his job, then
    his home. He became a vagrant and spent his days living on the
    streets.

    The years passed by.

    One day, the now old man saw that the circus was coming back to town.
    And not only that, but the same clown who had humiliated him years ago
    was headlining the circus. It brought back terrible and long-
    suppressed memories, which he told to a social worker at the homeless
    shelter he was staying at.

    The social worker felt very moved by the old man's story, and told the
    old man, "You know, maybe you could overcome with your problems if you
    could face that clown again and give him his comeupance."

    The old man was horrified. After the incident he had developed an
    intense fear of clowns. Yet he somehow felt the social worker was
    right. "I'd like to do that," he said, "but what if the clown
    humilates me again?"

    "Don't worry," said the social worker, "I have the perfect retort."

    So the social worker and the old man bought front row seats to the
    circus. Within a few minutes, the old man was enjoying himself
    immensely. It was the best therapy he'd ever had, and the old man
    felt that after so many years he would finally be able to put his life
    back together.

    Until the final act.

    The same clown who had humiliated the old man many years before was
    now an old veteran on his final tour. The clown went right up to the
    old man and began to work the same routine.

    ("Don't worry," whispered the social worker to he old man as the clown
    approached, "I have perfect retort.")

    The clown asked the old man, "Are you front end of an ass?"

    The old man said, "No."

    Then the clown asked the old man, "Are you the rear end of an ass?"

    The old man, positively scared, meekly said, "No."

    Then the clown, with utterly perfect comedic timing, said, "Then you
    must be no end of an ass!"

    The crowd roared with laughter. The man was humiliated again. But
    the social winked at him, indicating that he would soon give the clown
    the perfect retort. The old man couldn't wait to hear what it was.

    Suddenly the social worker stood up and shouted, "Hey clown!"

    The crowd hushed, and clown whirled around to look at him.

    "F**k you!"

    (It makes even more sense when you consider that Perl programmers
    pretty much are clowns.)

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Apr 22, 2008
  11. azrael

    Paul Melis Guest

    azrael wrote:
    > Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,
    > But i can't come up with a big name. I know that there are a lot of
    > companys using python, but is there anythong big written only in
    > python. I want him to **** of with his perl once and for all time

    Not really "big" in terms of lines of code, but definitely well-known
    and widespread: the official BitTorrent client is written in Python (and
    has been since the beginning I believe).

    Regards,
    Paul

    Paul Melis, Apr 22, 2008
  12. On Apr 22, 6:25 am, azrael <> wrote:

    > A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
    > jokes on python's cost.

    > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    > aplications.

    you could show him what Master Yoda said when he compared Python to
    Perl

    http://www.personal.psu.edu/iua1/pythonvsperl.htm

    i.

    Istvan Albert, Apr 22, 2008
  13. azrael

    Max Erickson Guest

    Re: Witty retorts (was: Python Success stories)

    Ben Finney <> wrote:

    > Carl Banks <> writes:
    >
    >> Let me tell you a little story to let you know how you should
    >> act in situations like this. Some of you might have heard it
    >> before. Apologies if it's a bit long.

    > I don't know if I've heard it before; it's rather unmemorable.
    >
    > What lesson is it intended to teach, other than that "**** you"
    > is somehow a "retort"? I can't see that improving too many
    > situations.

    I got something like "Don't waste your life worrying about what some
    damn clown said" out of it.

    You don't even need to swear at the clown to make it work.

    max

    Max Erickson, Apr 22, 2008
  14. Re: Witty retorts (was: Python Success stories)

    "F**k you" -- is generally an indication of "creativity blackout"
    followed by "frustration". Not exactly a clever retort.

    On 4/22/08, Max Erickson <> wrote:
    > Ben Finney <> wrote:
    >
    > > Carl Banks <> writes:
    > >
    > >> Let me tell you a little story to let you know how you should
    > >> act in situations like this. Some of you might have heard it
    > >> before. Apologies if it's a bit long.

    > > I don't know if I've heard it before; it's rather unmemorable.
    > >
    > > What lesson is it intended to teach, other than that "**** you"
    > > is somehow a "retort"? I can't see that improving too many
    > > situations.
    > >

    > I got something like "Don't waste your life worrying about what some
    > damn clown said" out of it.
    >
    > You don't even need to swear at the clown to make it work.
    >

    > max

    regards,
    Banibrata
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdutta

    Banibrata Dutta, Apr 22, 2008
  15. azrael

    GHUM Guest

    > Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,

    There are no big applications written in Python.

    Big applications are written in JAVA or COBOL or C# or other legacy
    programming systems.

    If you programm in Python, your applications become quite small. Only
    frameworks in Python are big.

    best wishes

    Harald

    Join us @ EuroPython 2008 in Vilnius to have more fun with Python
    Submit your talk NOW
    www.europython.org

    GHUM, Apr 22, 2008

    Also, you can enter the Python main site, on the right and very prominently you have a link to many successful stories: http://www.python.org/about/success/

    > But the real problem is not your friend - it's you. He hurts you because
    > you let him. Stop getting mad about that he teases you.

    I agree.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, Apr 22, 2008
  17. On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
    GHUM <> wrote:
    > > Which big aplications are written in python. I see its development,

    > There are no big applications written in Python.
    >
    > Big applications are written in JAVA or COBOL or C# or other legacy
    > programming systems.
    >
    > If you programm in Python, your applications become quite small. Only
    > frameworks in Python are big.

    So the fact that there are no big applications written in Python IS the
    success story.

    --
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain <> | Democracy is three wolves

    D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Apr 22, 2008
  18. azrael

    Guest

    On Apr 22, 5:25 am, azrael <> wrote:
    > Hy guys,
    > A friend of mine i a proud PERL developer which always keeps making
    > jokes on python's cost.
    >
    > Please give me any arguments to cut him down about his commnets
    > like :"keep programing i python. maybe, one day, you will be able to
    > program in VisualBasic"
    >
    > This hurts. Please give me informations about realy famous
    > aplications.

    Those would be insulting statements, but only if he wouldn't be a Perl
    programmer. Everyone knows Perl's best days are long gone. Perl is not
    a competent language anymore. I bet your friend is a system
    administrator or something like that, because the only use for Perl is
    writing quick-and-dirty scripts, and that's something that sysadmins
    do the whole day.

    Anyway, seeing that nobody has posted on the "big applications"
    matter, here are some examples: Zope ( http://www.zope.org ), Medusa
    ( http://www.nightmare.com/medusa ), Grail ( http://grail.sourceforge.net
    ).

    On the "Python vs. Perl" matter, well, just search "Python Perl" on
    Google or some other search engine, you'll literally find nothing but
    pages talking about how Python is better than Perl.

    On the other hand, I do admit that there's no other language better
    than Perl to write a 3-10 line long program. In those cases, the Perl
    version will not only be smaller than the C version, but even smaller
    than the Python version. This is mostly due to Perls default variables
    and "magic" events (like reading a line of a file directly into $_
    when you're doing while (<FILE>) {...}, or automatically converting
    between integer/string or scalar/list depending on the operators and
    context ).

    But a competent developer won't be writing such small scripts, unless,
    as I said, you're a sysadmin or something like that. Otherwise,
    there's no reason to use something as ugly and unconventional as Perl.

    , Apr 22, 2008
  19. azrael

    Paul Boddie Guest

    Re: Witty retorts (was: Python Success stories)

    On 22 Apr, 16:02, Ben Finney <>
    wrote:

    > What lesson is it intended to teach, other than that "**** you" is
    > somehow a "retort"? I can't see that improving too many situations.

    It isn't supposed to teach anything: it's a joke! It'd be more
    relevant (yet somewhat surreal if detached from this particular
    context) if it ended with the social worker saying...

    "Hey clown! What happened to Perl 6?"

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Apr 22, 2008
  20. Sure. Python is more readable than Perl, though I have found Python
    to have a weird behavior regarding this little issue :

    How can you explain that Python doesn't support the ++ opeator,
    whereas at the same time it does support the += operator ???

    No python developer I know has been able to answer that.

    Jérémy Wagner, Apr 22, 2008