Python Tools for Visual Studio from Microsoft - Free & Open Source

Discussion in 'Python' started by roland garros, Mar 10, 2011.

  1. roland garros, Mar 10, 2011

  2. roland garros

    Guest

    Roland,

    > http://pytools.codeplex.com

    Looks very impressive! Thank you for sharing this work.

    For others following this thread

    - this add-in to Visual Studio works with CPython 2.5 - 3.2 and is not
    dependent on .NET or IronPython

    - this project also brings HPC (high performance computing) and MPI
    support to CPython using the latest Microsoft API's for large scale data
    and computing

    Regards,
    Malcolm
    , Mar 10, 2011

  3. roland garros

    Patty Guest

    > Looks very impressive! Thank you for sharing this work.
    >
    > For others following this thread
    >
    > - this add-in to Visual Studio works with CPython 2.5 - 3.2 and is not
    > dependent on .NET or IronPython
    >
    > - this project also brings HPC (high performance computing) and MPI
    > support to CPython using the latest Microsoft API's for large scale data
    > and computing
    >
    > Regards,
    > Malcolm

    Thanks so much for this reference - and the detailed further explanation! I
    have a Windows 7 system and recently installed Visual Studio 2010 for the
    SQL Server, Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic. I would love to have this Python
    tool installed under Visual Studio but a few questions: 1) I have regular
    Python installed not Cpython or Jpython or any other variant (have both 2.6
    and 3.2 versions) so would that be a problem and it won't install or won't
    work? 2) I saw that this was a beta, would there be an automatic
    notification that there are upgrades (I mean within the software itself) or
    would it be advisable for me to wait until it goes final because I am
    relatively newer to Python and maybe shouldn't be mucking with a beta of
    something 3) there is a message bar at the top right corner of the web
    page that a certain number of people are 'following this project' Is that
    where you would rely on for upgrades notifications or what exactly would you
    be following as far as a 'project' of this type?

    Regards,

    Patty
    Patty, Mar 10, 2011
  4. Patty wrote:
    > Thanks so much for this reference - and the detailed further explanation!I
    > have a Windows 7 system and recently installed Visual Studio 2010 for the
    > SQL Server, Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic. I would love to have this Python
    > tool installed under Visual Studio but a few questions: 1) I have regular
    > Python installed not Cpython or Jpython or any other variant (have both 2..6
    > and 3.2 versions) so would that be a problem and it won't install or won't
    > work? 2) I saw that this was a beta, would there be an automatic notification
    > that there are upgrades (I mean within the software itself) or would it be
    > advisable for me to wait until it goes final because I am relatively newer to
    > Python and maybe shouldn't be mucking with a beta of
    > something 3) there is a message bar at the top right corner of the web
    > page that a certain number of people are 'following this project' Is that
    > where you would rely on for upgrades notifications or what exactly would
    > you be following as far as a 'project' of this type?

    CPython is actually regular Python - the C just clarifies that it's the implementation
    written in C (vs. C#, Java, or Python).

    There won't be any notification of updates via the software it's self but given
    that you heard about the 1st release within days of it coming out my guess is
    you'll hear about the updates as well.

    I'm not actually certain if following a project on CodePlex will give you e-mail
    notifications or not. I typically subscribe to CodePlex's RSS feed for projects
    I'm implemented in - for example this feed http://pytools.codeplex.com/project/feeds/rss
    includes all changes to the project. There's other feeds below the RSS button
    which track just new releases or other things.
    Dino Viehland, Mar 10, 2011
  5. roland garros

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/10/2011 5:51 PM, Patty wrote:

    > Thanks so much for this reference - and the detailed further
    > explanation! I have a Windows 7 system and recently installed Visual
    > Studio 2010 for the SQL Server, Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic. I would
    > love to have this Python tool installed under Visual Studio but a few
    > questions: 1) I have regular Python installed not Cpython

    CPython *is* regular Python!
    Which is to say, 'python*' binaries are compiled from the CPython codebase.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Mar 10, 2011
  6. roland garros

    Patty Guest

    > Thanks so much for this reference - and the detailed further explanation!
    > have a Windows 7 system and recently installed Visual Studio 2010 for the
    > SQL Server, Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic. I would love to have this
    > Python
    > tool installed under Visual Studio but a few questions: 1) I have
    > regular
    > Python installed not Cpython or Jpython or any other variant (have both
    > 2.6
    > and 3.2 versions) so would that be a problem and it won't install or won't
    > work? 2) I saw that this was a beta, would there be an automatic
    > notification
    > that there are upgrades (I mean within the software itself) or would it be
    > advisable for me to wait until it goes final because I am relatively newer
    > Python and maybe shouldn't be mucking with a beta of
    > something 3) there is a message bar at the top right corner of the web
    > page that a certain number of people are 'following this project' Is that
    > where you would rely on for upgrades notifications or what exactly would
    > you be following as far as a 'project' of this type?

    CPython is actually regular Python - the C just clarifies that it's the
    implementation
    written in C (vs. C#, Java, or Python).

    Oh! :)

    There won't be any notification of updates via the software it's self but
    given
    that you heard about the 1st release within days of it coming out my guess
    is
    you'll hear about the updates as well.

    You're right.

    I'm not actually certain if following a project on CodePlex will give you
    e-mail
    notifications or not. I typically subscribe to CodePlex's RSS feed for
    projects
    I'm implemented in - for example this feed
    http://pytools.codeplex.com/project/feeds/rss
    includes all changes to the project. There's other feeds below the RSS
    button
    which track just new releases or other things.

    I see - I am on a diff computer right now but want to check out this
    CodePlex site further
    from the Windows 7 system later. It looks interesting.

    Thanks,

    Patty
    Patty, Mar 11, 2011