Python Written in C?

giveitawhril2008

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?

See, my concern was something like: OK, if Python is so hot, then,
hopefully someone is writing it in assembly language for each MPU chip
out there. Otherwise, if, say, they've written it in C#, then it looks
like the REAL, generally useful language to learn is C# and Python is
akin to Visual Basic or something: a specialty language....whereas
REAL WORLD programmers who want to be generally useful go and learn
C#.

So I was suspecting the Python compiler or interpreter is written in a
REAL language like C#. So, Wiki says it's written in C! It's almost as
if it were an intentional trick...write your own, new language in an
OLD, real world language that is passe. Compile it into executable
modules of course, so it is a real, working compiler, alright. But the
SOURCE is some old, high level language which no one wants to use
anymore! So now you've got a hot new language package and no one can
say "well, it is written in, the SOURCE code is written in, a REAL
language." No, it's not! The source is some outdated language and
compiler and no one is going to prefer learning THAT to learning your
hot new language!

I'm not dissing Python, here. Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.

alex23

I'm not dissing Python, here. Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.

The advantage of Python over C - to me - is in the higher order
abstractions it provides, not in pointless discussions of purity. Even
better, Python allows me to -mix- both C & Python together, to take
advantage of the strengths of each as appropriate.

Try writing something of complexity in Python. Then write the same
thing in C. -Then- make your decision which you prefer.

Mensanator

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?

See, my concern was something like: OK, if Python is so hot, then,
hopefully someone is writing it in assembly language for each MPU chip
out there. Otherwise, if, say, they've written it in C#, then it looks
like the REAL, generally useful language to learn is C# and Python is
akin to Visual Basic or something: a specialty language....whereas
REAL WORLD programmers who want to be generally useful go and learn
C#.

Python is for people who want to program, not REAL WORLD
programmers.
So I was suspecting the Python compiler or interpreter is written in a
REAL language like C#. So, Wiki says it's written in C! It's almost as
if it were an intentional trick...write your own, new language in an
OLD, real world language that is passe. Compile it into executable
modules of course, so it is a real, working compiler, alright. But the
SOURCE is some old, high level language

C isn't a high level language, that's part of its problem.
which no one wants to use
anymore! So now you've got a hot new language package and no one can
say "well, it is written in, the SOURCE code is written in, a REAL
language." No, it's not! The source is some outdated language and
compiler and no one is going to prefer learning THAT to learning your
hot new language!

I'm not dissing Python, here.

Yes, you are.
Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.

Then go learn C, nobody's stopping you.

Roy Smith

Mensanator said:
C isn't a high level language, that's part of its problem.

C is the highest level assembler language I've ever used. And I've used a
few. It really is cool that you can add two 32-bit integers and not have
to worry about all those carry bits.

John Machin

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?

See, my concern was something like: OK, if Python is so hot, then,
hopefully someone is writing it in assembly language for each MPU chip
out there.

Why do that, when gcc has a code generator for just about every MPU
chip out there?
Otherwise, if, say, they've written it in C#, then it looks
like the REAL, generally useful language to learn is C#

A bit of a non sequitur .... and C# is available on how many different
MPU chips?

?

So I was suspecting the Python compiler or interpreter is written in a
REAL language like C#. So, Wiki says it's written in C! It's almost as
if it were an intentional trick...write your own, new language in an
OLD, real world language that is passe. Compile it into executable
modules of course, so it is a real, working compiler, alright. But the
SOURCE is some old, high level language which no one wants to use
anymore!

Nobody wants to use C any more?
So now you've got a hot new language package and no one can
say "well, it is written in, the SOURCE code is written in, a REAL
language." No, it's not! The source is some outdated language and
compiler and no one is going to prefer learning THAT to learning your
hot new language!

I'm not dissing Python, here. Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.

It should be sublimely irrelevant to most people learning LanguageX
what language LanguageX is written in.

Some other implementations of Python: PyPy (written in Python), Jython
(written in Java) and IronPython (written in C#).

Teiresias

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?

Well, yes, the interpreter and a handful of the core modules are written in C.
However, most of Python -- especially the cool bits -- aren't written in
C. They're written in ... Python!

-- Teiresias

Teiresias

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?

Well, yes, the interpreter and a handful of the core modules are written in C.
However, most of Python -- especially the cool bits -- aren't written in
C. They're written in ... Python!

-- Teiresias

Carl Banks

I'm not dissing Python, here. Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.

I somehow doubt the Python community will feel much of a loss if you
decide to learn some other language.

Carl Banks

Mike

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?

C is the universal assembler.

Mike

Mensanator

C is the highest level assembler language

Isn't that like bragging about being the smartest
kid on the short bus?
I've ever used. �And I've used a
few. �It really is cool that you can add two 32-bit integers and not have
to worry about all those carry bits.

Carry bits? Who worries about carry bits when you have
unlimited precision arithmetic? You want cool?
THIS is cool:

j = ((invert(xyz[1]-xyz[0],xyz[1]**(k-1))*(xyz[1]**(k-1)-prev_gen[2]))
% xyz[1]**(k-1))/xyz[1]**(k-2)

Stephen Johnson

Carry bits? Who worries about carry bits when you have
unlimited precision arithmetic? You want cool?
THIS is cool:

j = ((invert(xyz[1]-xyz[0],xyz[1]**(k-1))*(xyz[1]**(k-1)-prev_gen[2]))
% xyz[1]**(k-1))/xyz[1]**(k-2)

You call that "cool." I call it "unreadable."

-Steve Johnson

Mensanator

Carry bits? Who worries about carry bits when you have
unlimited precision arithmetic? You want cool?
THIS is cool:
j = ((invert(xyz[1]-xyz[0],xyz[1]**(k-1))*(xyz[1]**(k-1)-prev_gen[2]))
% xyz[1]**(k-1))/xyz[1]**(k-2)

You call that "cool." I call it "unreadable."

Ok, but not in the sense that something like
Scheme is unreadable as this is nothing but
algebra (albeit complicaed).

Dan Upton

Carry bits? Who worries about carry bits when you have
unlimited precision arithmetic? You want cool?
THIS is cool:
j = ((invert(xyz[1]-xyz[0],xyz[1]**(k-1))*(xyz[1]**(k-1)-prev_gen[2]))
% xyz[1]**(k-1))/xyz[1]**(k-2)

You call that "cool." I call it "unreadable."

Ok, but not in the sense that something like
Scheme is unreadable as this is nothing but
algebra (albeit complicaed).

Scheme doesn't *have* to be unreadable... any more unreadable than any
other language when poorly documented/formatted, anyway.

Michael Torrie

Mensanator said:
Isn't that like bragging about being the smartest
kid on the short bus?

Carry bits? Who worries about carry bits when you have
unlimited precision arithmetic? You want cool?

Perhaps you missed the wonderful humor in Roy's post. It was rather
brilliant. Sorry you missed it.

Michael Torrie

I'm not dissing Python, here. Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.

Definitely one of the most non-sequitor statements I have ever heard.
Actually your entire post doesn't make much sense. Maybe you are a
brother bot to castropini? Perhaps a less-trained one, although none of
castropini's posts seem to make sense either. The AI needs a bit of work.

I am very confused over your incoherent ramblings about C# being some
how more real than C, or Python, or Visual Basic, or any other language.
I fail to grasp what connection the syntax of a language has to do with
anything being real or not. You first say you hope someone was writing
optimized assembly for python on the different platforms (I'm not
familiar with the acronym "MPU.") and then go on to say it should have
been written with C#. I'm confused as to what C# has to do with
optimized, platform-specific assembly.

Mensanator

Carry bits? Who worries about carry bits when you have
unlimited precision arithmetic? You want cool?
THIS is cool:
j = ((invert(xyz[1]-xyz[0],xyz[1]**(k-1))*(xyz[1]**(k-1)-prev_gen[2]))
% xyz[1]**(k-1))/xyz[1]**(k-2)
You call that "cool." I call it "unreadable."
Ok, but not in the sense that something like
Scheme is unreadable as this is nothing but
algebra (albeit complicaed).

Scheme doesn't *have* to be unreadable... any more unreadable than any
other language when poorly documented/formatted, anyway.

When I needed to whip up a variation on Ulam's
Spiral recently, I went and got the Scheme version
I wrote 4 years ago when I briefly toyed with Scheme
and thought I'd just translate the plotting part to
Python. Couldn't make any sense of it and ended up
doing the Python version with Turtle Graphics.

Tim Roberts

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?

See, my concern was something like: OK, if Python is so hot, then,
hopefully someone is writing it in assembly language for each MPU chip
out there. ...

No one writes compilers in assembly language. Most people don't even write
assemblers in assembly language.
So I was suspecting the Python compiler or interpreter is written in a
REAL language like C#. So, Wiki says it's written in C! It's almost as
if it were an intentional trick...write your own, new language in an
OLD, real world language that is passe.

You seem to believe that, because YOU are just learning about Python, that
necessarily means that Python itself is new. That is incorrect. Python
was originally conceived and developed in 1990. Anders Hejlsberg, who
designed C#, was still at Borland at that time, and had not even created
Delphi yet. C++ was still many years away from becoming an ISO standard.
I'm not dissing Python, here. Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.

I would say you have a very strange criteria for deciding whether a
language is worth learning.

Krishnakant Mane

I'm just learning about Python now and it sounds interesting. But I
just read (on the Wiki page) that mainstream Python was written in C.
That's what I was searching for: Python was written in what other
language?
Are you a PH.d researcher
In the first place why do you want to make an issue of "what an x
language is compiled in "
and if that' is what you are researching in, then sorry to say you
don't seam to have a mindset needed for researcher.
See, my concern was something like: OK, if Python is so hot, then,
hopefully someone is writing it in assembly language for each MPU chip
out there. Otherwise, if, say, they've written it in C#, then it looks
like the REAL, generally useful language to learn is C# and Python is
akin to Visual Basic or something: a specialty language....whereas
REAL WORLD programmers who want to be generally useful go and learn
C#.
First off all c# is absolute rubbish waist of time. if I need to
learn it then I better lern java or pythonfor that matter. and by the
way what is a "real programmer?"
I never knew that there are robots who program vertually and a "real
programmer ".
What do you think I am a spam bot who is writing a "vertual program "
every day? first give me your defination for real programmer.
So I was suspecting the Python compiler or interpreter is written in a
REAL language like C#. So, Wiki says it's written in C! It's almost as
if it were an intentional trick...write your own, new language in an
OLD, real world language that is passe. Compile it into executable
modules of course, so it is a real, working compiler, alright. But the
SOURCE is some old, high level language which no one wants to use
anymore! So now you've got a hot new language package and no one can
say "well, it is written in, the SOURCE code is written in, a REAL
language." No, it's not! The source is some outdated language and
compiler and no one is going to prefer learning THAT to learning your
hot new language!
what! no one is using c? I want to know what people use to write
device drivers? I am such a fool I really never new that people use
c# to create device drivers for hardware and for creating firmware. I
admit my stupidity that I never knew that c# is "real programming
language ".
and what is "your programming language?"python is a free and open
source programming language and does not belong to one person.
I'm not dissing Python, here. Just noting that, if it is written in C,
that throws a curve at me in trying to balance the value of learning
Python vs. some other major language.
My request and strong recommendation to you is "don't learn python,
because you don't deserve to. " I am not saying for dissing you, i
know you are "real programmer ". but you seam to have a typical
mindset which the rubbish microsoft has inculcated in many
programmers, aa sorry "real programmers " line you.
I don't think there is any point saying "vvb kind of " some thing is
great and python is rubbish. every language has its value and vb is
not a language in the first place. python is made with a view that it
is usefull for all purposes and it has been so far successful and I
don't really care why it is done in c as long as it does the work.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

Fredrik Lundh

Michael said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Definitely one of the most non-sequitor statements I have ever heard.
Actually your entire post doesn't make much sense. Maybe you are a
brother bot to castropini?

or that perl troll making another attempt to add noise to this
newsgroup? I'm a bit surprised that he managed to generate this
many replies, really.

</F>