Python3 - it's awesome

Johannes Bauer

Hello list,

since I've read so much about Python 3 and ran into some trouble which
was supposed to be fixed with 3k, I yesterday came around to compile it
and try it out.

To sum it up: It's awesome. All the promised things like Unicode support
"just work", all significant changes in the lanugage (try/except-Syntax,
float division, file opening, print) I've encountered so far made
absolute sense and it was quite easy to change over (I've been using 2.5
so far). It was really easy to install it locally as my user (I want to
try it out some more before I install it system-wide).

So, why I am posting this here: First, thanks to the great work to
anyone who has contributed. Secondly, I want to encourage anyone who
hasn't tried Python3 out yet to do - it really is easier than you think
and you won't be disappointed.

Kind regards,
Johannes

Terry Reedy

Eduardo said:
You can install it system-wide as "python3.0" or "python3" -- I think
that "make install" acts as "make altinstall" on Python 3.0, and dont
overide the default "python" binary

There is no such option on Windows. Only install for one user or all
users, the the binary called 'python.exe'. Still, it can be made the
default or not.