PythonWin problems

Colin J. Williams

PythonWin has been my favourite IDE for quite a while.

When one right clicks on a .py file in the Windows Explorer, among the
options are Open and Edit. The former is the default and executes
Python, with the selected script. The latter activates the PythonWin
editor, with the selected script.

Since, most frequently, I wish to edit the script, or execute it with
the debugger, I tried changing the default to Edit, using the Edit File
Type menu.

Unfortunately, this leads to a couple of problems:

1. Any activity becomes horrendously slow, and
2. The following message appears:
LoadBarState failed - LoadBarState failed (with win32 exception!)
[Dbg]>>>

Does anyone have a workaround suggestion?

Thanks.

Colin W.

John Roth

Colin J. Williams said:
PythonWin has been my favourite IDE for quite a while.

When one right clicks on a .py file in the Windows Explorer, among the
options are Open and Edit. The former is the default and executes
Python, with the selected script. The latter activates the PythonWin
editor, with the selected script.

Since, most frequently, I wish to edit the script, or execute it with
the debugger, I tried changing the default to Edit, using the Edit File
Type menu.

Unfortunately, this leads to a couple of problems:

1. Any activity becomes horrendously slow, and
2. The following message appears:
LoadBarState failed - LoadBarState failed (with win32 exception!)
[Dbg]>>>

Does anyone have a workaround suggestion?

You're going to have to get down and dirty with the registry, I'm
afraid.

This is the way my registry looks for Python 2.2 (I don't have
2.3 installed yet.) This is in registry patch format which is
imported and exported by regedit.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File]

@="Python File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\AutoRegister]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\PythonCOM22.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\PYTHON22\\Py.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit\command]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\PYTHON22\\lib\\site-packages\\Pythonwin\\pythonwin.exe
/edit \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE\command]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\PYTHON22\\pythonw.exe
C:\\PROGRA~1\\PYTHON22\\Tools\\idle\\idle.pyw -e \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open\command]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\PYTHON22\\python.exe \"%1\" %*"

[end of registry patch]

Restore yours to look something like this (and make sure you
don't put my values into your system - they probably won't work!)

Once you do that, change (or add) the default value of the

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell]

key to say "Edit".

That's all there is to it. Remember to back up your registry
first, or at least save the key your playing with.

If you're reluctant to get that close to the registry,
there are a large number of resources on the net,
and I heartily recommend "Windows XP annoyances"
by David Karp (O'Reilly). The information on file types and
associations is the same for all Windows versions.

John Roth

r.e.s.

Colin J. Williams said:
PythonWin has been my favourite IDE for quite a while.

When one right clicks on a .py file in the Windows Explorer, among the
options are Open and Edit. The former is the default and executes
Python, with the selected script. The latter activates the PythonWin
editor, with the selected script.

Since, most frequently, I wish to edit the script, or execute it with
the debugger, I tried changing the default to Edit, using the Edit File
Type menu.

FWIW ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "Edit File Type menu".
Using WinXP Pro, in Windows Explorer I went to
Tools/Folder Options/File Types
selected PY, clicked Advanced, and set the default to Edit.
Now double-clicking a .py file brings it up in PythonWin,
and I've experienced neither of the problems that you report below.

r.e.s. said:
FWIW ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "Edit File Type menu".
Using WinXP Pro, in Windows Explorer I went to
Tools/Folder Options/File Types
selected PY, clicked Advanced, and set the default to Edit.
I thought of this activity as editing.
Now double-clicking a .py file brings it up in PythonWin,
and I've experienced neither of the problems that you report below.

Unfortunately, this leads to a couple of problems:

1. Any activity becomes horrendously slow, and
2. The following message appears:
LoadBarState failed - LoadBarState failed (with win32 exception!)
[Dbg]>>>
Many thanks to those who responded.

I used the ideas of John Roth and modified my XP registry, using
Registrar-Lite, to read:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File]
@="Python File"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000
"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\AutoRegister]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\PythonCOM23.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\PYTHON23\\Py.ico"

@="C:\\Python23\\pythonwin.exe /edit \"%1\""

@="C:\\Python23\\Pythonw.exe C:\\Python23\\Lib\\idlelib\\idle.pyw -e \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\PYTHON23\\python.exe \"%1\" %*"

All functions well now.

Thanks.

Colin W.