Q: Free compiler for 64 bit Windows 7?

Mok-Kong Shen

Please excuse me for a dumb question: Are there any
free C++ complier running on 64 bit Windows 7?

Thanks,

M. K. Shen

tanix

Yes, it is called gcc.

:--}

A good one.
I did not even think of THAT one!
Everyone seems to be so frightened of Microsux,
that they do not even believe such a thing as free
C++ 64 compiler is even legal unless it comes from Microsucks.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

arunix

What about asking in a Windoze newsgroup?

Because its gcc based compiler.
Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw port of GCC (GNU
Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can also be used in
combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based compiler.

Features are :

- Support GCC-based compilers
- Integrated debugging (using GDB)
- Project Manager
- Customizable syntax highlighting editor
- Class Browser
- Code Completion
- Function listing
- Profiling support
- Quickly create Windows, console, static libraries and DLLs
- Support of templates for creating your own project types
- Makefile creation
- Edit and compile Resource files
- Tool Manager
- Print support
- Find and replace facilities
- CVS support

tanix

Oh, of course: a gcc based compiler for Windows isn't a Windows compiler.

Sigh. gcc is just as off-topic as Windows.

What is this "off-topic" bullshit?

Have you heard of cygwin?

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

tanix

Yes, I'm familiar with cygwin. It's just as off-topic in this newsgroup
as "gcc" and "Windows compilers".

Who ARE you to dictate things like these to some of the most intelligent
people one can find and whose brains function well above average?

If you think it is "off-topic", here is the best advice I know of
about things like this, directly from the horses mouth,
Russ Allbery. Do you know who he is?

"If you don't like something, do not read it.
Do not follow up on it.
Just forget about it".

Simple, isn't it?

Or you think you are some kind of traffic light here,
and what YOU think or perceive is some kind of standards
all others are to be measured agains?

Do you know what this trip is called?
Well, fascism and totalitarian dictate.

Just enjoy things if you find it interesting here.
If you don't, nobody holds you by your hand and FORCES you
to read anything. It is YOUR choice.

Just go find a "better" or "cleaner" place,
such as those dictatorship outlets, called the "moderated" groups.

That is MUCh healthier for individuals of your kind,
the "blue blooded" "elite".

There is a group, called c.l.c++.m.
Do I have to tell you THESE kinds of things?

In other words, do not insult the intelligence of highly intelligent
people. Very few of them will appreciate this, especially considering
the fact I do not know even who you are and what is YOUR word worth.
Not that I reviewed enough of material on these groups to even
notice you in the scheme of things.

Just a sec. Lemme make sure you get the same treatment.
I put people like you on some lists to make sure you just dissapear
from pg collections so there is not a trace of you left.

Oh, I see, you were on the expert list. Not any longer.
Cya.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

Alf P. Steinbach

* tanix:
Who ARE you to dictate things like these to some of the most intelligent
people one can find and whose brains function well above average?

Pete is the one actually writing (editing) the C++ standard.

I think Pete's wrong about the topicality; at least discussions about available
C++ tools and GCC as an answer would be on-topic by the [clc++m] charter and
moderation guidelines, as I see it (both James Kanze and I are moderators
there), and assuming that my evaluation of that is correct, it would be a little
incongruous to regard it as off-topic in this group, which lacks a charter!

Btw., it's amazing what kinds of people you meet on the net. ;-)

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

tanix

* tanix:

Pete is the one actually writing (editing) the C++ standard.

Oh, shitski!
Then I Have to put him back on the expert list.
Who knows, he might say something useful once in a while.
Ok, we'll do that. I can't let my ego stand on the way of information.
I think Pete's wrong about the topicality; at least discussions about available
C++ tools and GCC as an answer would be on-topic by the [clc++m] charter and
moderation guidelines, as I see it (both James Kanze and I are moderators
there), and assuming that my evaluation of that is correct, it would be a
little
incongruous to regard it as off-topic in this group, which lacks a charter!

Well, I just thought about this about half an hour ago,
and would like to mention it here.

It is GREAT that there exists a parallel, "moderated" group.
That means THIS group is not going to be taken over by those
"moderators", who, for some strange reason think THEY are the
ultimate reference on that, which IS and which is NOT.

Most of the "moderators" I had experience to deal with
are simply sick, power obscessed dictators, PERVERSELY
affecting the information flow with their lil ego trips.

It has been a disaster to what happened to Usenet.

Usenet is the LAST resourse left to mankind that is not dominated
and censored to the point of suffocations.

No web forums or blogs can provide uncensored discussions.
No IRC will do that.

Just because of this central concept of totalitarian dictate
called "moderation", where the MOST immoderate people end up
decidin on what kind of information all others are to see.

The decay of Usenet is probably the biggest disaster there is.

And I would advise ANYONE to do whatever they can to make sure
Usenet never dies.

For one thing, Usenet is the MOST robust, fully distributed
system, that supports and delivers ANY kind of information
conceivable, whithin the limitations imposed by the highest
level dictators, such as Jim Skirvin, one of the most despicable
and most evil people in the entire history of "big-8".

He has a key and HE decides which groups are to be created and
which groups are to be removed. And this pervert went to the
ultimate level of totalitarian sickness, and created a group
news.admin.moderation, meant to discuss the issues of this
ugly "moderation" thing, and made it "moderated", where HE
is the "moderator", and that sucker is the most immoderate
nazi I saw to date more or less.

Yes, when people publish some commercial stuff to buy this and that,
that is clearly an issue. But even there, there is nothing you can
do about it, more or less.

But you never know which discussion may fade away into what,
and what may come out of it. And you never know who is going
to be interested in seeing what kind of information or deciding
to participate in it.

Because this is HIGLY subjective.

Furthermore, I, personally, think it is a pitty that C++ has been
fragmented as badly as it is, to the point of obsene.

What IS the problem if someone talks about HIS version of C++,
be it GCC or VC or anything else for that matter?

You ALREADY have threads. If you don't like some thread
becasue you think you are a world caliber "scientist" and
YOU define what C++ is, then do not read that stuff.

But do not prevent OTHERS, who do want to read that stuff
from reading it.

I think it would be MUCH more beneficial if ANY C++ related
discussions could be conducted on a single forum.

You can easily create things like [GCC:], or [VC++] in the subject
header just like they do all over the place.

And instead, if you can not discuss threads, or GUI aspects
or ALL sorts of other things in one place. Because it is considered
to be "unclean" by some "experts", that, for some strange reason,
can not even slow down the relative decay of C++ as a language
as it is being replaced in more and more cases with dynamically
scope languages.

Again, your house is on fire. Nothing less than that.
Btw., it's amazing what kinds of people you meet on the net. ;-)
Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

tanix

Yes, I'm familiar with cygwin. It's just as off-topic in this newsgroup
as "gcc" and "Windows compilers".

You don't OWN this group
and it is not your private kitchen.
And you are not an authorised controller of the global information
streams, no matter how big of a fart you think you are.

I just hope that people with your mentality can really offers
some contribution to the language without creating the totally
perverted verions of all sorts of mechanism, just because of their
sadistic tendencies.

It is a pitty people like you are involved in language design
and definitions. You look like a power hungry politician to me.

I doubt you can contribute to the language anything of real power,
beauty or flexibility it so badly needs, at least from now on.
Because its days are numbered in more cases than not.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

Bo Persson

tanix said:
"Alf P. said:
C++ tools and GCC as an answer would be on-topic by the [clc++m]
charter and moderation guidelines, as I see it (both James Kanze
and I are moderators there), and assuming that my evaluation of
that is correct, it would be a little
incongruous to regard it as off-topic in this group, which lacks
a charter!

Well, I just thought about this about half an hour ago,
and would like to mention it here.

It is GREAT that there exists a parallel, "moderated" group.
That means THIS group is not going to be taken over by those
"moderators", who, for some strange reason think THEY are the
ultimate reference on that, which IS and which is NOT.

The moderated list was started by people who couldn't stand reading
the unmoderated list at the time. It's your choice which groups you
want to follow.

Nowadays many of us (including most of the moderators :) actually
read both groups, just not to miss any interesting topics.

Bo Persson

James

tanix said:
Pete Becker said:
Who ARE you to dictate things like these to some of the most intelligent
people one can find and whose brains function well above average?

If you think it is "off-topic", here is the best advice I know of
about things like this, directly from the horses mouth,
Russ Allbery. Do you know who he is?

"If you don't like something, do not read it.
Do not follow up on it.
Just forget about it".

Simple, isn't it?

Why can't you follow you're own advise moron! If you don't like something
Pete wrote, do not read it. Do not follow up on it. Just forget about it!

Wow, what a total dipsh%t!!!!!!!!!!!

:^|

Chris M. Thomasson

tanix said:
Pete Becker said:
You don't OWN this group
and it is not your private kitchen.
And you are not an authorised controller of the global information
streams, no matter how big of a fart you think you are.

You seem to be easily irritated. Do you happen to suffer from high blood
pressure and/or an anti-social disorder?