Q: to create a certificate

Guest

Hello,
I am trying to create a certificate for our internet for our employees so
that they can login to system from home. Do I have to go, for example,
VeriSign to get a certificate? Can I create my own certificate and use it
since it is not actually a public web site?
Thanks,

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, for your purposes you can use your own certificate without needing to
buy an expensive public certificate.

Guest

Thanks Steve,
Can I use it forever? Will users face any problem? Is it secure as much as
what VeriSign is? I guess I am asking why do people go to VeriSign? I do not
want to face problem in the future.
Thanks for your help

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

People use Verisign if they want a certificate to use for the general
public.
We, as web users, wouldn't (and shouldn't) trust a private certificate from
just anybody, because anybody can make them.
Verisign backs up their certificates with their own name after
authenticating the parties are who they say they are and they keep them
stored securely.

Guest

Hi Steve,
You are great help.
1. If I use my own certificate do I still type https and see lock icon on
the internet explorer. Will user see any difference if I use my own
certificate?
2. Since we do not want public come to our application in internet, we just
want our employees and some partners’ employees login to this system,
wouldn’t it be better to use my own certificate (no cost) since those people
will already know we are secure site. Does this make any sense to you?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, I advise you to use your own certificate.
It will still be accessed via https with the little lock.