QT problems

Discussion in 'C++' started by stu7, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. stu7

    stu7 Guest

    + I have some problems with QT. I know that it is supposed
    to be useful for compiling cross-platform versions of a program,
    and that it has something to do with C++ ...not a problem so far.

    But - if QT compilies a program for Linux (my interest)... why
    do I have to install QT (again) to use it ? It seems it hasn't
    compiled -FOR- Linux at all, but is only using the Linux framework
    to run itself on_ acting more like a virus than a useful program...
    providing a whole new set of requirements, which Linux/linux users
    aren't especially prepared to handle.

    QT isn't open source... installing the QT "helper app" takes 10
    times longer than the entire Linux installation did !
    What is QT really good for, other than that several commercial
    programming companies used it to develop their commercial products ?
    With all of this, I am reading that using QT for new programs isn't
    possible without paying a huge premium... why are Linux distributions
    including QT programs at all ?

    KDE was purportedly developed with QT, and I use KDE without any
    problems... but this isn't how the QT problem apps are working.

    ...isn't there some simpler C++ open source alternative to something
    like QT ?
    stu7, Jun 30, 2003

  2. stu7

    Vinodh Kumar Guest

    What is QT?

    "Russell Hanneken" <> wrote in message
    > Stu7,
    >
    > I'm no expert on Qt, and I'm not sure I understand all the objections

    you're

    Vinodh Kumar, Jun 30, 2003

  3. stu7

    Jim Fischer Guest

    [OT] Re: QT problems

    Vinodh Kumar wrote:
    > What is QT?

    Qt is a multi-platform application framework for C++. For more info, visit:

    http://www.trolltech.com

    and click on the "Products" link.

    --
    Jim

    To reply by email, remove "link" and change "now.here" to "yahoo"
    jfischer_link5809{at}now.here.com
    Jim Fischer, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Josephine Schafer, Jun 30, 2003
  5. stu7

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    stu7 wrote:

    > + I have some problems with QT. I know that it is supposed
    > to be useful for compiling cross-platform versions of a program,
    > and that it has something to do with C++ ...not a problem so far.
    >
    > But - if QT compilies a program for Linux (my interest)... why
    > do I have to install QT (again) to use it ?

    No idea what you mean here. Also, Qt doesn't compile programs. It is a
    library that is linked to them.

    > It seems it hasn't
    > compiled -FOR- Linux at all, but is only using the Linux framework
    > to run itself on_ acting more like a virus than a useful program...

    No idea what that means. What is "the Linux framework"? What do you mean
    by "compiled -FOR- Linux"?

    > providing a whole new set of requirements, which Linux/linux users
    > aren't especially prepared to handle.

    What requirements?

    > QT isn't open source...

    Wrong.

    > installing the QT "helper app" takes 10
    > times longer than the entire Linux installation did !

    What "helper app"? Installing how? Did you compile it yourself? Then it
    may very well take longer than just installing (whithout compiling) a
    linux distro.

    > What is QT really good for, other than that several commercial
    > programming companies used it to develop their commercial products ?
    > With all of this, I am reading that using QT for new programs isn't
    > possible without paying a huge premium...

    No. You only have to pay them if you want to distribute your program,
    but not its source code. And they aren't so huge at all. Look at the
    typical prices for development tools, and you'll see.

    > why are Linux distributions including QT programs at all ?

    Why not?

    > KDE was purportedly developed with QT, and I use KDE without any
    > problems... but this isn't how the QT problem apps are working.

    No idea what that means. What's your definition of "QT problem apps"?

    > ...isn't there some simpler C++ open source alternative to something
    > like QT ?

    There are lots of alternatives.

    You know, I think you're just a troll.
    Rolf Magnus, Jun 30, 2003
  6. stu7

    stu7 Guest

    "Russell Hanneken" <> wrote...
    > I'm no expert on Qt, and I'm not sure I understand all the objections you're
    > raising <snip>

    *** well... I know nothing about it... I only posted here after the worst
    *** mess-up in my Linux career, trying to install and use QT :)

    > For example, Qt is offered under multiple licenses, some of which are open
    > source

    *** the free X11 version is where all my problems started :) Look on
    *** the web for endless horror stories about installing/using QT.

    > In any case, this isn't the place to discuss Qt.

    *** right... not a QT group... I apologize, but QT is purportedly some
    *** kind of C++ alternative, and I was looking for help from people who
    *** understand C++...

    > The best place for questions about Qt is the "Qt Interest" mailing list:

    *** yes... if I wanted to congratulate TrollTech for ruining my week,
    *** that is where I would post... my intent again is to find something
    *** OTHER than QT which could be used... besides, other people are posting
    *** about QT here ;D (just kidding :)

    *** As to how C++ might be able to help with QT problems, I got no
    *** answers here, so perhaps it would be best to find a better group.
    stu7, Jun 30, 2003
  7. stu7

    Ashish Guest

    "Josephine Schafer" <> wrote in message

    > "Vinodh Kumar" <> wrote in message
    > > What is QT?
    > >

    > A little search on your favorite search engine -
    > http://doc.trolltech.com/3.0/aboutqt.html

    It is still OT
    Ashish, Jun 30, 2003
  8. stu7

    Dhruv Guest

    > [To the superparent] Why? KDE is made with QT. QT and wxWindows are
    > the only cross-platform OO toolkits I know of that can be considered
    > reasonably complete. From what I've seen, QT is much more friendly to
    > the developer. wxWindows is similar to MFC.

    What about the Mozilla *framework*? Though, they have a lot of work to be
    done, it seems to be quite promising......

    -Dhruv.
    Dhruv, Jul 1, 2003
  9. stu7

    stu7 Guest

    Rolf Magnus <> offered, after consulting his
    cheap imitation magic 8-ball...

    > No idea what you mean here.

    > No idea what that means.

    > What requirements?

    > Wrong.

    > No.

    *** nothing useful from this response so far... :)

    *** oh wait, heres one...
    > Then it may very well take longer

    *** thats what I said... I wondered why it made sense :)

    (then I said)
    > > I am reading that using QT for new programs isn't possible without
    > > paying a huge premium...

    > You only have to pay them if you want to distribute your program

    *** helloooooooooo ???

    > but not its source code. And they aren't so huge at all. Look at the
    > typical prices for development tools, and you'll see.

    *** I saw $1500, and other prices... but we never answered why the
    *** Linux community is snarled up with using a non-free program ?
    *** So $1500 isn't huge ? OK, send me the paltry $1000, and I'll laugh
    *** along with you :)

    > Why not?

    > No idea what that means.

    > There are lots of alternatives.

    *** but... he didn't name any :)

    > You know, I think you're just a troll.

    *** Just for the record, I am NOT a troll... neither am I employed
    *** by TrollTech Inc, or any of it's subsidiaries :)
    stu7, Jul 1, 2003
  10. stu7

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    stu7 wrote:

    > Rolf Magnus <> offered, after consulting his
    > cheap imitation magic 8-ball...
    >
    >> No idea what you mean here.

    >> No idea what that means.

    >> What requirements?

    >> Wrong.

    >> No.

    > *** nothing useful from this response so far... :)

    Not less useful that your comments that they are written to. You mostly
    wrote garbage that I didn't even understand and things that aren't
    true. And in that posting, you didn't explain anything.

    > *** oh wait, heres one...
    >> Then it may very well take longer

    > *** thats what I said... I wondered why it made sense :)

    ?? You are laughing about my answers... what you write doesn't make any
    sense at all.

    > (then I said)
    >> > I am reading that using QT for new programs isn't possible without
    >> > paying a huge premium...

    >> You only have to pay them if you want to distribute your program

    > *** helloooooooooo ???
    >
    >> but not its source code.

    Please answer to the whole sentence.

    >> And they aren't so huge at all. Look at the
    >> typical prices for development tools, and you'll see.

    > *** I saw $1500, and other prices... but we never answered why the
    > *** Linux community is snarled up with using a non-free program ?

    Qt is under the GPL. Have a look at http://www.fsf.org to find out what
    free software is and why GPL'd software is considered free software.

    > *** So $1500 isn't huge ? OK, send me the paltry $1000, and I'll
    > laugh *** along with you :)

    Well, if you want to make money, you first have to pay money. It's
    called investment. If you want to start a software company, you're
    quite unlikely to succeed if you can't afford $1500 for it.

    >> Why not?

    >> No idea what that means.

    >> There are lots of alternatives.

    > *** but... he didn't name any :)

    You didn't name your problems you had with Qt. Also, have you ever
    heared of google? It's quite useful to find things on the www, just
    like those you're looking for.
    Rolf Magnus, Jul 1, 2003
  11. stu7

    stu7 Guest

    > > Rolf Magnus <> offered, after first
    > > consulting his cheap imitation magic 8-ball...

    > >> No idea what you mean here.
    > >> No idea what that means.
    > >> What requirements?
    > >> Wrong.
    > >> No.
    > >> I think you are a troll.
    > >> You mostly wrote garbage that I didn't even understand
    > >> and things that aren't true.
    > >> You are laughing about my answers.

    *** He didn't even read the post... thats the problem !
    *** ...well, plus he called me a troll and a liar :)

    *** Rolf, I'm sorry, I wasn't laughing at you... I just find
    *** your little game of harrassing people who ask questions
    *** a little amusing.

    > >> If you want to start a software company, you're
    > >> quite unlikely to succeed if you can't afford $1500 for it.

    *** If I want to start a software company ?? Oh I see... he
    *** isn't really talking to me at all :)

    > >> Why not?
    > >> No idea what that means.
    > >> You didn't name your problems you had with Qt.

    *** I didn't... are we certain of this ?

    > >> Also, have you ever heared of google?

    *** no... what is google ? :)

    > >> It's quite useful

    *** I'm sorry... I can't believe anything you said. Fortunately,
    *** I have already solved all my QT problems, with the help of
    *** some people who did take the time to care.

    *** ;D (...let me explain... this is supposed to be a face,
    *** winking, and sticking out it's tounge... you can even
    *** even pretend it is making a disgusting sound, like
    *** "pppfffffttttt", or similar. Oh well.
    stu7, Jul 2, 2003