QT problems

stu7

+ I have some problems with QT. I know that it is supposed
to be useful for compiling cross-platform versions of a program,
and that it has something to do with C++ ...not a problem so far.

But - if QT compilies a program for Linux (my interest)... why
do I have to install QT (again) to use it ? It seems it hasn't
compiled -FOR- Linux at all, but is only using the Linux framework
to run itself on_ acting more like a virus than a useful program...
providing a whole new set of requirements, which Linux/linux users
aren't especially prepared to handle.

QT isn't open source... installing the QT "helper app" takes 10
times longer than the entire Linux installation did !
What is QT really good for, other than that several commercial
programming companies used it to develop their commercial products ?
With all of this, I am reading that using QT for new programs isn't
possible without paying a huge premium... why are Linux distributions
including QT programs at all ?

KDE was purportedly developed with QT, and I use KDE without any
problems... but this isn't how the QT problem apps are working.

...isn't there some simpler C++ open source alternative to something
like QT ?

Rolf Magnus

stu7 said:
+ I have some problems with QT. I know that it is supposed
to be useful for compiling cross-platform versions of a program,
and that it has something to do with C++ ...not a problem so far.

But - if QT compilies a program for Linux (my interest)... why
do I have to install QT (again) to use it ?

No idea what you mean here. Also, Qt doesn't compile programs. It is a
library that is linked to them.
It seems it hasn't
compiled -FOR- Linux at all, but is only using the Linux framework
to run itself on_ acting more like a virus than a useful program...

No idea what that means. What is "the Linux framework"? What do you mean
by "compiled -FOR- Linux"?
providing a whole new set of requirements, which Linux/linux users
aren't especially prepared to handle.

What requirements?
QT isn't open source...
Wrong.

installing the QT "helper app" takes 10
times longer than the entire Linux installation did !

What "helper app"? Installing how? Did you compile it yourself? Then it
may very well take longer than just installing (whithout compiling) a
linux distro.
What is QT really good for, other than that several commercial
programming companies used it to develop their commercial products ?
With all of this, I am reading that using QT for new programs isn't
possible without paying a huge premium...

No. You only have to pay them if you want to distribute your program,
but not its source code. And they aren't so huge at all. Look at the
typical prices for development tools, and you'll see.
why are Linux distributions including QT programs at all ?

Why not?
KDE was purportedly developed with QT, and I use KDE without any
problems... but this isn't how the QT problem apps are working.

No idea what that means. What's your definition of "QT problem apps"?
...isn't there some simpler C++ open source alternative to something
like QT ?

There are lots of alternatives.

You know, I think you're just a troll.

stu7

Russell Hanneken said:
I'm no expert on Qt, and I'm not sure I understand all the objections you're
raising <snip>
*** well... I know nothing about it... I only posted here after the worst
*** mess-up in my Linux career, trying to install and use QT :)
For example, Qt is offered under multiple licenses, some of which are open
source
*** the free X11 version is where all my problems started :) Look on
*** the web for endless horror stories about installing/using QT.
In any case, this isn't the place to discuss Qt.
*** right... not a QT group... I apologize, but QT is purportedly some
*** kind of C++ alternative, and I was looking for help from people who
*** understand C++...
The best place for questions about Qt is the "Qt Interest" mailing list:
*** yes... if I wanted to congratulate TrollTech for ruining my week,
*** that is where I would post... my intent again is to find something
*** OTHER than QT which could be used... besides, other people are posting
*** about QT here ;D (just kidding :)

*** As to how C++ might be able to help with QT problems, I got no
*** answers here, so perhaps it would be best to find a better group.

Dhruv

[To the superparent] Why? KDE is made with QT. QT and wxWindows are
the only cross-platform OO toolkits I know of that can be considered
reasonably complete. From what I've seen, QT is much more friendly to
the developer. wxWindows is similar to MFC.

What about the Mozilla *framework*? Though, they have a lot of work to be
done, it seems to be quite promising......

-Dhruv.

stu7

No idea what you mean here.
No idea what that means.
What requirements?

No.

*** nothing useful from this response so far... :)

*** oh wait, heres one...
Then it may very well take longer
*** thats what I said... I wondered why it made sense :)

(then I said)
You only have to pay them if you want to distribute your program
*** helloooooooooo ???
but not its source code. And they aren't so huge at all. Look at the
typical prices for development tools, and you'll see.
*** I saw $1500, and other prices... but we never answered why the
*** Linux community is snarled up with using a non-free program ?
*** So $1500 isn't huge ? OK, send me the paltry $1000, and I'll laugh
*** along with you :)
No idea what that means.
There are lots of alternatives.
*** but... he didn't name any :)
You know, I think you're just a troll.
*** Just for the record, I am NOT a troll... neither am I employed
*** by TrollTech Inc, or any of it's subsidiaries :)

Rolf Magnus

stu7 said:
*** nothing useful from this response so far... :)

Not less useful that your comments that they are written to. You mostly
wrote garbage that I didn't even understand and things that aren't
true. And in that posting, you didn't explain anything.
*** oh wait, heres one...
*** thats what I said... I wondered why it made sense :)

?? You are laughing about my answers... what you write doesn't make any
sense at all.
(then I said)
*** helloooooooooo ???

Please answer to the whole sentence.
*** I saw $1500, and other prices... but we never answered why the
*** Linux community is snarled up with using a non-free program ?

Qt is under the GPL. Have a look at http://www.fsf.org to find out what
free software is and why GPL'd software is considered free software.
*** So $1500 isn't huge ? OK, send me the paltry $1000, and I'll
laugh *** along with you :)

Well, if you want to make money, you first have to pay money. It's
called investment. If you want to start a software company, you're
quite unlikely to succeed if you can't afford $1500 for it.
*** but... he didn't name any :)

You didn't name your problems you had with Qt. Also, have you ever
heared of google? It's quite useful to find things on the www, just
like those you're looking for.

stu7

*** He didn't even read the post... thats the problem !
*** ...well, plus he called me a troll and a liar :)

*** Rolf, I'm sorry, I wasn't laughing at you... I just find
*** your little game of harrassing people who ask questions
*** a little amusing.

*** If I want to start a software company ?? Oh I see... he
*** isn't really talking to me at all :)
*** I didn't... are we certain of this ?
*** no... what is google ? :)
*** I'm sorry... I can't believe anything you said. Fortunately,
*** I have already solved all my QT problems, with the help of
*** some people who did take the time to care.

*** ;D (...let me explain... this is supposed to be a face,
*** winking, and sticking out it's tounge... you can even
*** even pretend it is making a disgusting sound, like
*** "pppfffffttttt", or similar. Oh well.