Question about 310-035 exam

lonelyplanet999

Hi,

I've studied for this exam and will take the exam soon. As I practiced
eSample questions at sun.com, I found that all multiple choice
questions provide check box for me to check on even if the question
actually has one correct answer.

This is somewhat different from some other exam I had attended like
MCSE which distinguish clearly for questions allowing one answer only
(in that case Microsoft use radio button interface) or multiple
answers (in that case Microsoft use check box interface).

I would like to make clear if Sun will allow exam students to choose
multiple answers for a question which has one correct answer only ?
Could anyone having passed the exam share their experience ?

xarax

lonelyplanet999 said:
Hi,

I've studied for this exam and will take the exam soon. As I practiced
eSample questions at sun.com, I found that all multiple choice
questions provide check box for me to check on even if the question
actually has one correct answer.

This is somewhat different from some other exam I had attended like
MCSE which distinguish clearly for questions allowing one answer only
(in that case Microsoft use radio button interface) or multiple
answers (in that case Microsoft use check box interface).

I would like to make clear if Sun will allow exam students to choose
multiple answers for a question which has one correct answer only ?
Could anyone having passed the exam share their experience ?

Using radio buttons would give the student a clue
as to how many correct answers are expected. Using
check boxes means that the student must *know* the
number of correct answers, which is itself a test
of knowledge.

lonelyplanet999

xarax said:
Using radio buttons would give the student a clue
as to how many correct answers are expected. Using
check boxes means that the student must *know* the
number of correct answers, which is itself a test
of knowledge.

I've also done ePractice of Sun for 310-025, the questions explicitly
use radio buttons for questions requiring one answer only and check
box for questions requiring more than one answers. Does it mean that
Sun has changed their requirements ?

Furthermore, sometimes the listed answers (I suppose English) are not
accurate enough (at least from my point of view) in meaning. This
could mislead candidates to choose more than needed correct answers if
all questions use check box as answer selection interface.

:)

Tony Morris

lonelyplanet999 said:
"xarax" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I've also done ePractice of Sun for 310-025, the questions explicitly
use radio buttons for questions requiring one answer only and check
box for questions requiring more than one answers. Does it mean that
Sun has changed their requirements ?

Furthermore, sometimes the listed answers (I suppose English) are not
accurate enough (at least from my point of view) in meaning. This
could mislead candidates to choose more than needed correct answers if
all questions use check box as answer selection interface.

:)

The choices use check boxes.
The question will be worded, "Choose X from the following ...".
If X == 1, a radio button will be used.

This is from memory (December 2002 I did the exam), so not 100% sure -
perhaps 90% sure.

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

Tony Morris

I've also done ePractice of Sun for 310-025, the questions explicitly

Be aware that 310-025 and 310-035 are NOT the same test.
310-025 tests knowledge of Java 1.2 and includes topics that aren't included
in 310-035 (e.g. AWT )
310-035 tests knowledge of Java 1.4

--
Tony Morris
Software Engineer

Albert Deinbeck

lonelyplanet999 said:
Hi,
I would like to make clear if Sun will allow exam students to choose
multiple answers for a question which has one correct answer only ?
Could anyone having passed the exam share their experience ?

Hi, I made the exam and you will always be told how many correct answers to
choose.
Example: Which of the following are reserved words in java? (Choose 4)

Albert

William Brogden

lonelyplanet999 said:
"xarax" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I've also done ePractice of Sun for 310-025, the questions explicitly
use radio buttons for questions requiring one answer only and check
box for questions requiring more than one answers. Does it mean that
Sun has changed their requirements ?

Yes, the style of the exam has changed - in earlier versions you
were not told how many were correct. You might see checkboxes
where 1, several, or all options were correct. Since Sun might
change back again I think it is safer to practice without the hint.
(practice exams at http://www.wbrogden.com/ )

lonelyplanet999

Tks!

One more question to ask, does 310-035 exam allows candidate to mark
questions then go back for review ? If I encounter a question which I
find it difficult and want to answer later, can I skip for later
answer and proceed with later questions ?

:)

Chris Mays

One more question to ask, does 310-035 exam allows candidate to mark
questions then go back for review ? If I encounter a question which I
find it difficult and want to answer later, can I skip for later
answer and proceed with later questions ?

Yes you can.

lonelyplanet999

xarax said:
Using radio buttons would give the student a clue
as to how many correct answers are expected. Using
check boxes means that the student must *know* the
number of correct answers, which is itself a test
of knowledge.

How about a question asking something like 'Which of the following is
true ?' and use check boxes instead of radio buttons as answer
interface ? If I find 2 or more answers are definitely correct, will I
be definitely wrong if I choose more than one answer ?

lonelyplanet999

xarax said:
Using radio buttons would give the student a clue
as to how many correct answers are expected. Using
check boxes means that the student must *know* the
number of correct answers, which is itself a test
of knowledge.

One counter example extracted from web site www.lanw.com

Consider the following code, and keep in mind that the static Thread
method holdsLock(obj) returns true if the current Thread holds a lock
on obj.

public class TestQ10 implements Runnable {
new Thread(new TestQ10()).start();
}

public void run() {
System.out.println("Run "+methodA());
}

int methodA() {
assert(Thread.holdsLock(this)):"no lock";
return 1;

Which of the following statements is ture ?

a. This code can't be compiled under versions of Java earlier than
1.4.
b. When executed with the following command, an AssertionError occurs.
java TestQ10
c. When executed with the following command, the output is "Run 1"
java TestQ10
d. In order to get the following command to execute without an
AssertionError being thrown, methodA would have to be declared
synchronized.
java TestQ10

(interface used check box instead of radio button)

For this question, I know that to compile & run with assertion, java
1.4 or greater is needed, so 'a' is ture.

Also, as I ran the program using command 'java TestQ10' (JVM 1.4
installed), the output is "Run 1", so 'c' is also true.

If according to question, it's asking which of the answer 'is'
correct, not 'are' correct. If I assume (I need to do I think) the
question's syntax is correct, I will be wrong if I choose more than
one answer.

Please advise if you have a different point of view.

:(

Tony Morris

lonelyplanet999 said:
Tks!

One more question to ask, does 310-035 exam allows candidate to mark
questions then go back for review ? If I encounter a question which I
find it difficult and want to answer later, can I skip for later
answer and proceed with later questions ?

:)

Yes, the exam isn't finished until you click the "Finish" button.
Until then, you can go to any question you like.

Good luck!

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

Tony Morris

How about a question asking something like 'Which of the following is
true ?' and use check boxes instead of radio buttons as answer
interface ? If I find 2 or more answers are definitely correct, will I
be definitely wrong if I choose more than one answer ?

You won't find a question like that in the SCJP exam.

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

William Brogden

lonelyplanet999 said:
[...]

I wrote that question. My interpretation - if you can read an option
and say to yourself X is true - then you should check that option.
In other words the use of "is" here does not imply that only one is true.
Bill

nos

[...]

My book says:
Compiling with Assertions
Prior to version 1.4, you might very well have written code like this:
int assert = getInitialValue();
if (assert == getActualResult()) {
// do something
}
Notice that in the preceding code, assert is used as an identifier. No
problem
prior to 1.4. But remember that you cannot use a keyword/reserved word as an
identifier, and beginning with version 1.4, assertis now a keyword! The
bottom
line is
You can use "assert" as a keyword or as an identifier, but not both.

lonelyplanet999

William Brogden said:
I wrote that question. My interpretation - if you can read an option
and say to yourself X is true - then you should check that option.
In other words the use of "is" here does not imply that only one is true.
Bill

Bill,

Do Sun share the same interpretation ? That is, I will encounter
similar question in real exam ? I don't want to answer a question
wrongly jut due to difference in English wordings interpretation.

:)

Tony Morris

lonelyplanet999 said:
"William Brogden" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Bill,

Do Sun share the same interpretation ? That is, I will encounter
similar question in real exam ? I don't want to answer a question
wrongly jut due to difference in English wordings interpretation.

:)
Encryption =---

The actual exam is far less ambiguous than any practice exam that I ever
did.
Although, I do remember in the real exam, one question clearly contained a
minor (easy to oversee) typo which caused an ambiguity.
Suffice to say, that there is no "intentional ambiguity" in the real exam,
as there arguably is, in mock exams.

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)