Question about executing an ASPX locally

Jman

Let's say I have a session variable in my asp.net website.
Now I have an aspx file on my C drive.

Now I have a link pointing to it so I can click on it and execute this ASPX
file to my browser. Only me has this file on my C drive and can execute it.
Other users will obviously get a page not found.

In the load section on the aspx file, I modify a SESSION variable of my
website.

Will this work?

The intent here is to get the website informed that this session is executed
from my computer because I can execute that aspx file from my C drive.

Please answer me...

Nathan Sokalski

No, it will not because the pages are on different servers. Session
variables are stored on the server, so if you request a page on another
server (like you are when you request the file on your C drive) that page
will not have access to previous session variables. Hopefully this helps.

Guest

Jman,
What is the real goal here? You say "The intent here is to get the website
informed that this session is executed from my computer because I can execute
that aspx file from my C drive."
What "session" are we talking about? What exactly do you need to "get the
website informed" about?
Peter

Patrice

You'll need also a local web server to get this page executed. As the page
is not part of the other site, it won't have access to the other site
session variable.

IMO your best bet is to explain your overall goal so that someone can
suggest a way to achieve your goal likely using a totally different way...

Jman

I need a way to detect if a user is using a local machine that way I can
have a different menu on my main web page.

So i want to create an intranet inside our actual intranet for a subset of
users.
This site is not on the same domain and this is webhosting so i cannot query
to IIS or Active directory to get the windows group.

I thought about installing a cookie on the same machine but this would be
overhead for the administrator.