Question on distributing ASP.NET

Terry Olsen

This questions has probably been asked & answered somewhere, but I've
not been able to find anything.

When distributing an ASP.NET application, is there any way to NOT
include the CodeBehind files (*.vb)? Or are they required for the app
to function?

JV

The best way to distribute your application is to create a deployment
(SETUP) project for it. If you follow the usual steps it will only deploy
the proper files.

However, you can also go into the PROJECT menu and select COPY PROJECT...
and there is an option to copy only the files needed to deploy.

Your third option is to manually copy only the required files, but you would
have to know which those are.

Juan T. Llibre

You do *not* need to upload the code-behind files.

If you're using VS.NET, just copy the project dll's to the /bin
directory and your aspx/ascx//asmx/xml files to their directories.

You application will run fine.

Mark Rae

If you're using VS.NET, just copy the project dll's to the /bin
directory and your aspx/ascx//asmx/xml files to their directories.

Not forgetting all the other files e.g. images, stylesheet(s), mayve PDFs
etc...

Juan T. Llibre

Absolutely.

That means copy "all non-source-code asp.net files" into
whatever directory they go into, and dll's into the bin directory.