question on FTP'ing to secure sites (HTTPS) ...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bailee, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Bailee

    Bailee Guest

    Hi ...

    I have been given a small web-design job that requires making some changes
    on a 'shopping cart' page and a home page. I uploaded both changes to the
    site, but the 'shopping' page was not updated. I noticed that in my browser
    window, the shopping cart page was re-directed toward a secure site
    (https://www.website-secure.net/|ompanyName/shopping.htm).

    I actually tried setting up an FTP acc't with Cute FTP to this same secure
    site and logged in successfully... (oddly enough the 'shopping' file seems
    to be named "/~CompanyName/shopping.htm" - ie, strange convention, because
    forward slashes and tildes (~) are not usually allowed as characters in
    filenames)...

    Anyway, I can download from this secure site, but I cannot upload. (error
    message pasted below).

    Can anyone give me some pointers on what I might be missing to upload this
    file? I am currently trying to get ahold of their previous web-designer but
    it may take a while.

    thanks for any pointers...

    Bailee

    Bailee, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Bailee

    spaghetti Guest

    "Bailee" <> wrote in message
    > Anyway, I can download from this secure site, but I cannot upload. (error
    > message pasted below).

    What error?

    > Can anyone give me some pointers on what I might be missing to upload this
    > file? I am currently trying to get ahold of their previous web-designer

    but
    > it may take a while.

    Who is your web hosting provider? You should contact them if you are having
    troubles uploading. You also might not have the appropriate security
    permissions.

    spaghetti, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Bailee

    Bailee Guest

    solved the problem .... it was just the syntax of the ftp name; had to use
    an "escape" character instead of a tilde ( ~ ) ...

    thanks!!

    Bailee, Jul 6, 2003