Question on "slack"

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by debayan_p, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. debayan_p

    debayan_p

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    23
    I am using Synopsys Design Compiler to generate reports for my design. Now i have a question here.

    My system clock is 20 Mhz, or 50 ns!

    I want to know/calculate what is the max. frequency at which my digital circuit can operate ? How to do it ?
    Is it given by the slack ? If not then what is this "slack" ?

    Here is the last part when I run the command report_timing................

    data required time 48.95

    data arrival time -12.55

    slack (MET) 36.40

    debayan_p, Nov 12, 2009

  2. debayan_p

    debayan_p

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    23
    Ok, I found my answer !

    Max operating frequency of my circuit = clock_period - slack

    8)

    debayan_p, Nov 13, 2009