Question re frames / css from a newbie

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Al Jones, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Al Jones

    Al Jones Guest

    Situation and apologize in advance for the long description.

    I have several letters (in the neighbord hood of 200) that I have
    trasncribed and want to put up on the web.

    The lay out as I picture it is:

    Top / banner
    some navigation (links / about / history / ... )
    left column: letter date / title
    right column: letter text (which also includes the picture of the letter)

    footer: copyright / etc??

    both the table of contents and the letter may exceed the users screen
    length and I would like to scroll them independently. If the user selects
    a different letter, put it in the right had box, but leave the toc alone
    (no movement)

    I can:
    1) do it with frames
    2) do it with tables and imbedded iframes <??>

    Now come the ignorance questions:
    banner consists of two pictures one align: left, the other align: right
    with some text (Site title) inbetween. The left hand picture sets at the
    top, the text aligns center:center (no such but I think you understand
    what I mean), the right hand picture drops down about 3em and I can't seem
    to get it to the top. Suggestions??

    Now for the dumb question:
    If I do this with frames - what are the minimum specifications that need
    to be included in the html for each 'page' (toc and individual letters).

    I can't point to a web site as this is still 'pie in the sky' ('let's
    learn html/css by doing something realistic???)

    Thanks //al (fix the email to reply directly)

    Al Jones, Jan 1, 2005