RACC - one click installer/cygwin package

Jon A. Lambert

I have both the one-click installer and also the cygwin package. What
little web doc there is leads me to believe that racc is integrated with
both. There is a racc directory in both lib directories that includes a
module named parser. There is nothing in either bin directory. The doc say
use $ racc foo.y Where be the racc bat exe or ruby module? Or has the
invocation changed?

Thanks

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Sun, 8 May 2005 21:31:40 +0900,
Jon A. Lambert wrote in [ruby-talk:141662]:
What
little web doc there is leads me to believe that racc is integrated with
both.

No, integrated is only racc runtime, which is used to run
scripts generated by racc.
There is a racc directory in both lib directories that includes a
module named parser. There is nothing in either bin directory. The doc say
use $ racc foo.y Where be the racc bat exe or ruby module? Or has the
invocation changed?

Therefore you need to install racc itself to compile compilers.

Jon A. Lambert

Hi,

At Sun, 8 May 2005 21:31:40 +0900,
Jon A. Lambert wrote in [ruby-talk:141662]:
What
little web doc there is leads me to believe that racc is integrated
with both.

No, integrated is only racc runtime, which is used to run
scripts generated by racc.
okay.
There is a racc directory in both lib directories that includes a
module named parser. There is nothing in either bin directory. The
doc say use $ racc foo.y Where be the racc bat exe or ruby module?
Or has the invocation changed?

Therefore you need to install racc itself to compile compilers.

I'm having some difficulty with this.
I have the latest one-click installer
I also have the free VC++ 7.1 compiler
C:\racc-1.4.4-all>cl
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for 80x86
and the 32-bit Platform SDK for XP

My build environment variables look correct to me:
Path=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\bin;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform
SDK\Bin\WinNT;c:\apps\ruby\bin;c:\apps\apache-ant-1.6.0\bin;C:\apps\fsc\PCOBOL32;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
Include=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit
2003\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Include;
INETSDK=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK
lib=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\lib;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib;C:\APPS\FSC\PCOBOL32
VCToolkitInstallDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\

The first problem was after
ruby setup.rb config
the config.save contains

make-prog=make

I changed this to nmake by hand.

Running
ruby setup.rb setup
I get..

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.00.8882
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-2000. All rights reserved.

cl -nologo -LD -Fecparse.so cparse.obj msvcrt-ruby18.lib
oldnames.lib user32.lib advapi32.lib
wsock32.lib -link -incremental:no -debug -opt:ref -opt:icf -dll -libpath:"c:/apps/ruby/lib"
-def:cparse-i386-mswin32.def
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'MSVCRT.lib'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
'system nmake ' failed
Try 'ruby setup.rb --help' for detailed usage.

Okay I searched through all the files in RACC and in
i386-mswin32\rbconfig,rb for MSVCRT.lib and I can't find what's causing
this dependency. This is a VC 6.0 import library.

Any ideas?

Thanks

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Wed, 11 May 2005 02:14:58 +0900,
Jon A. Lambert wrote in [ruby-talk:142026]:
I'm having some difficulty with this.
I have the latest one-click installer
I also have the free VC++ 7.1 compiler
C:\racc-1.4.4-all>cl

racc doesn't need a compiler, as ruby 1.8 already contains its
runtime.
The first problem was after
the config.save contains

make-prog=make

I changed this to nmake by hand.

So you don't have to mind it. Run config with --without-ext
option instead.
Okay I searched through all the files in RACC and in
i386-mswin32\rbconfig,rb for MSVCRT.lib and I can't find what's causing
this dependency. This is a VC 6.0 import library.

Visual C++ 2003 package is broken. You need to install .NET
Framework SDK for msvcrt.lib if really want to use it.

Jon A. Lambert

racc doesn't need a compiler, as ruby 1.8 already contains its
runtime.

Yes, but.. ;-)
So you don't have to mind it. Run config with --without-ext
option instead.
okay.

Visual C++ 2003 package is broken. You need to install .NET
Framework SDK for msvcrt.lib if really want to use it.

This is probably my root problem. I've been using Borland 5.5 and VC 6.0
for awhile with no problems. But I decided to delete my VC 6.0 installation
and upgrade to VC 7.1 so I could compile not just RACC but a whole load of
other extensions not included in the one-click installer but compatible with
the mswin32 one-click installer. Even though with RACC as you say, I
really only need to add the parts of RACC that don't need to be compiled.

I also need iconv, dbm, curses, and a few other things. Some of which I see
are included in another ruby mswin32 distro but not the one-click one.

I'll see what I can do with .NET Framework SDK installed.

Thank you again.