Rails and Ruby in Germany -> Rails is Ruby killer application

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT

Hi!

For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
situation persisted for at least two years.

The change took place when Rails entered the scene and "Agile Web
Development with Rails" was published. Suddenly Ruby books that in
principle were already available for quite some time) popped up like
mushrooms.

By definition of the term "killer application" this means that Rails
is a Ruby killer application: An application that nicely demonstrates
some of the many advantages of Ruby and at the same time strongly
increases the number of people who know what it is good for.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

David Vallner

Hi!

For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
situation persisted for at least two years.

The change took place when Rails entered the scene and "Agile Web
Development with Rails" was published. Suddenly Ruby books that in
principle were already available for quite some time) popped up like
mushrooms.

By definition of the term "killer application" this means that Rails
is a Ruby killer application: An application that nicely demonstrates
some of the many advantages of Ruby and at the same time strongly
increases the number of people who know what it is good for.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Well yay, I hope the trend spreads on. Me wanna translated printed Pickax=
e =20
2 ;P

David Vallner

Martin Kaletsch

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:

For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
situation persisted for at least two years.

The change took place when Rails entered the scene and "Agile Web
Development with Rails" was published. Suddenly Ruby books that in
principle were already available for quite some time) popped up like
mushrooms.

Wasn't there a ruby book written originaly in German some time before rails?
I read it in a bookstore (in Marburg, small city but ahead of the times in
some points ;-) and that got me hooked on the language. Didn't buy it then,
cause I didn't realy have the time for learning another language even
though the book had cute manga-girls! (I'm hopeless, I know...)
By definition of the term "killer application" this means that Rails
is a Ruby killer application: An application that nicely demonstrates
some of the many advantages of Ruby and at the same time strongly
increases the number of people who know what it is good for.

Having done nothing more than playing around with rails I am a bit weary of
ruby being recognized as "a part of rails" by many people. We of course
know it's good for much more than just web development!

Paulus Esterhazy

For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
situation persisted for at least two years.
=20

By the way, are there any local ruby (or rails) communities/user groups
in Germany? M=FCnchen, K=F6ln, Berlin?

Cheers,
Paulus

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT

Hi!

Hi!

By the way, are there any local ruby (or rails) communities/user
groups in Germany? Muenchen, Koeln, Berlin?

*Deutsch siehe unten*

If you receive this message via Ruby-de-talk please note that the
thread's origin is Ruby-talk!

I repeatedly suggested a Cologne/Bonn area Ruby User Group but up to
now there simply weren't enough people interested in such a group.

Although fonding a "Verein" is *very* German, I do *not* intend to set
up a so called "Verein" because that involves an organizational
overhead that is incompatible to The Ruby Way (TM). Bonn's Linux User
Group shows that one does not need a Verein to organize regular
meetings. If a Verein infrastructure should ever happen to be required
(say in order to find sponsors who support a European Ruby Convention
taking place at Cologne) I am confident that Cologne's "Computer Club
Pascal" would provide it. They already provide one of Cologne's Linux
User Groups (the "Linux-Workshop") with such an infrastructure.

In short: Who is interested in building a Cologne/Bonn area Ruby User
Group?

*English see above*

Sofern Sie diese Nachricht via Ruby-de-talk erhalten, beachten Sie
bitte, dass der Ursprung dieses Threads Ruby-talk ist.

Ich habe wiederholt vorgeschlagen, eine Ruby-Benutzergruppe fuer den
Bereich Koeln/Bonn aufzubauen aber bislang gab es einfach nicht genug
Leute, die sich fuer eine solche Gruppe interessieren.

Obwohl das Gruenden von "Vereinen" sehr deutsch ist, habe ich *nicht*
die Absicht, einen so genannten "Verein" einzureichten, weil der damit
verbundene organisatorische Overhead zu "The Ruby Way (TM)"
inkompatibel ist. Die bonner Linux-Benutzergruppe zeigt, dass man
keinen Verein benoetigt, um regelmaessige Treffen zu organisieren.
Sollte tatsaechlich einmal eine Vereins-Infratruktur benoetigt werden
(sagen wir, um Sponsoren zu finden, die eine in Koeln stattfindende
European Ruby Convention unterstuetzen, bin ich mir ziemlich sicher,
dass der Koelner "Computer Club Pascal" diese Bereitstellen wuerde.
Sie stellen bereits einer der Koelner Linux-Benutzergruppen (dem
"Linux-Workshop") eine solche zur Verfuegung.

Kurz: Wer hat Interesse daran, eine Ruby User Group fuer den Bereich
Koeln/Bonn aufzubauen?

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Stephan Kämper

Paulus said:
By the way, are there any local ruby (or rails) communities/user groups
in Germany? München, Köln, Berlin?

There's Hamburg.rb, well in Hamburg, although that (sadly) went a bit
silent (after I moved to Munich).

But there is the idea of forming a Ruby/Rails group im Munich.

Happy rubying

StePhan