Rails presentation

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jamis Buck, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Jamis Buck

    Jamis Buck Guest

    So I gave a presentation on Rails to the Utah Java Users Group last
    night. It went very well, I think. There were three presentations--I
    was sandwiched between JDO and Tapestry. :)

    I've posted my presentation to my website, but there are a few
    caveats:

    1) it is 14 megs in size (I made use of screen capture videos). So,
    be as kind to my host as possible. If anyone could mirror this,
    or set up a bittorrent for it, etc...

    2) it contains the presentation in both PDF and OOo formats. Either
    way, you'll have to run the videos manually, because I'm sure the
    links in the OOo version will be broken by packaging it up.

    3) it is NOT a Rails tutorial--it was targeted at a roomful of Java
    developers, most of whom had never seen a line of Ruby code in
    their life. Thus, it is intended to demonstrate Rails' ease of
    use, and how well it can perform "in the wild."

    That said, you can view the presentation online, here:

    http://ruby.jamisbuck.org/ujug-presentation/Ruby on Rails.html

    Or, feel free to download the whole thing and take a look:

    http://ruby.jamisbuck.org/ujug-presentation.tar.bz2

    Enjoy!

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://jamis.jamisbuck.org
    ------------------------------
    "I am Victor of Borge. You will be assimil-nine-ed."
    Jamis Buck, Feb 18, 2005

  2. Jamis Buck

    pat eyler Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:48:24 +0900, Jamis Buck <> wrote:
    > So I gave a presentation on Rails to the Utah Java Users Group last
    > night. It went very well, I think. There were three presentations--I
    > was sandwiched between JDO and Tapestry. :)

    The big questions then are:

    1) How did it go?

    2) For those of us that might be planning Rails presentations to
    non-Ruby audiences, what should we watch for/think about?

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Jamis Buck

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    pat eyler wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:48:24 +0900, Jamis Buck <> wrote:
    > > So I gave a presentation on Rails to the Utah Java Users Group last
    > > night. It went very well, I think. There were three presentations--I
    > > was sandwiched between JDO and Tapestry. :)

    > The big questions then are:
    >
    > 1) How did it go?
    >
    > 2) For those of us that might be planning Rails presentations to
    > non-Ruby audiences, what should we watch for/think about?

    and

    3) How many people were present in the audience?

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Jamis Buck

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On 04:17 Sat 19 Feb , pat eyler wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:48:24 +0900, Jamis Buck <> wrote:
    > > So I gave a presentation on Rails to the Utah Java Users Group last
    > > night. It went very well, I think. There were three presentations--I
    > > was sandwiched between JDO and Tapestry. :)

    > The big questions then are:
    >
    > 1) How did it go?

    Really well, I think. The audience was very considerate, the questions
    were very appropriate, and they laughed in all the right places. :)
    There were over 100 people there, too--the largest group I've ever
    given a Ruby-based presentation to.

    > 2) For those of us that might be planning Rails presentations to
    > non-Ruby audiences, what should we watch for/think about?

    For me, I was trying to show a group of Java users how easy it is to
    use Rails. So I avoided "teaching" Ruby syntax, and instead focused on
    things like the code generation (which I demonstrated). They _really_
    loved that Rails uses WordNet to suggest model and controller names
    when there is a conflict. :) If I had it to do over again, I'd
    probably use more little things like that in the presentation.

    I also tried to focus on Rails' performance, which I think is where
    most of their interest was. These people were all pretty focused on
    Java--using it in their workplace, etc., so it's not very likely that
    any single presentation would ever convert them to Ruby if all it does
    is focus on "cool". So I tried to give some performance metrics for
    Basecamp and 43 Things (thanks very much to DHH and Eric Hodel for
    their assistance!), and I think that really opened their eyes.

    One thing that tripped me up: I was demonstrating a simple AR model:

    class Book < ActiveRecord::Base
    belongs_to :author
    validates_presence_of :name
    validates_presence_of :isbn
    validates_uniqueness_of :isbn
    validates_format_of :isbn, :with => /^[- \d]+$/
    end

    I hadn't considered how foreign that might look to a non-Rubyist. :)
    I got the question "are those method calls?" And how do you explain
    that in two sentences? Method calls, in the middle of a class
    definition? I tried, but I think I just boggled them. So, beware. :)

    There were a few technical things I would do differently next time:

    1) Don't try to be clever and type out method comments in the screen
    capture videos. It might be nice for later, when you distribute
    the video, but during the presentation it just makes it lag.

    2) Keep the action in the videos as close to the top of the screen
    as possible, so that people sitting WAY in the back can see it
    better.

    3) Use a very high contrast color scheme for the syntax
    highlighting. Some of the colors were hard to read when
    projected.

    4) And last, something I just need to do better at in general when
    giving presentations to large groups: repeat every question that
    is asked of me, instead of just assuming everyone can hear it,
    and that *I* heard it correctly.

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://jamis.jamisbuck.org
    ------------------------------
    "I am Victor of Borge. You will be assimil-nine-ed."
    Jamis Buck, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Curt Hibbs ha scritto:

    >>The big questions then are:
    >>
    >>1) How did it go?
    >>
    >>2) For those of us that might be planning Rails presentations to
    >>non-Ruby audiences, what should we watch for/think about?

    > and
    >
    > 3) How many people were present in the audience?

    4) how was the interaction with Howard Lewis Ship? :)
    gabriele renzi, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Jamis Buck

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On 04:59 Sat 19 Feb , gabriele renzi wrote:
    > Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
    >
    > >>The big questions then are:
    > >>
    > >>1) How did it go?
    > >>
    > >>2) For those of us that might be planning Rails presentations to
    > >>non-Ruby audiences, what should we watch for/think about?

    > >and
    > >
    > >3) How many people were present in the audience?
    > >

    > 4) how was the interaction with Howard Lewis Ship? :)

    Howard was great. He's already been dabbling in the Ruby waters (he's
    been known to post to this list, actually) so he was actually quite
    curious about Rails. Don't expect him to change Tapestry to an ERb
    style templating system anytime soon, though. ;) I must say, I *am*
    curious as to what it would take to plug a component-style model (ala
    Tapestry) into Rails, though. I know others (on the Rails list) have
    been asking for that, too.

    I'm certainly satisfied with Rails' existing view system, though.

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://jamis.jamisbuck.org
    ------------------------------
    "I am Victor of Borge. You will be assimil-nine-ed."
    Jamis Buck, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Jamis Buck ha scritto:

    >>4) how was the interaction with Howard Lewis Ship? :)

    > Howard was great. He's already been dabbling in the Ruby waters (he's
    > been known to post to this list, actually) so he was actually quite
    > curious about Rails. Don't expect him to change Tapestry to an ERb
    > style templating system anytime soon, though. ;) I must say, I *am*
    > curious as to what it would take to plug a component-style model (ala
    > Tapestry) into Rails, though. I know others (on the Rails list) have
    > been asking for that, too.
    >
    > I'm certainly satisfied with Rails' existing view system, though.

    eheh.. but I was thinking of HiveMind vs Needle ;)
    gabriele renzi, Feb 18, 2005
  8. Jamis Buck

    Guest

    > I also tried to focus on Rails' performance, which I think is where
    > most of their interest was. These people were all pretty focused on
    > Java--using it in their workplace, etc., so it's not very likely that
    > any single presentation would ever convert them to Ruby if all it

    does
    > is focus on "cool". So I tried to give some performance metrics for
    > Basecamp and 43 Things (thanks very much to DHH and Eric Hodel for
    > their assistance!), and I think that really opened their eyes.

    Would you mind elaborating on the figures in the slides a bit, with the
    sort of comments you'd make in the talk?

    I'm considering advocating Rails as an alternative to PHP for some
    projects I'm likely to be involved it. We'd be using it backed by
    postgres (on linux). The audience is a couple of guys familiar with
    java, php and perl. I believe I can articulate the developer benefits
    clearly, but I'm not really a sysadmin and so can't go into the detail
    of what a statement like "43 things has load averages of 0.5 at
    6.6pages/sec on dual processor 2ghz xeons" really means. I mean I can
    look at the homepage size and do back of the envelope math to say "ok,
    that's roughly sustaining 8mbit" but I don't really have any framework
    to compare that to what PHP, Perl, or ASP would sustain in that
    situation.
    , Feb 18, 2005
  9. Jamis Buck

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On 05:54 Sat 19 Feb , gabriele renzi wrote:
    > Jamis Buck ha scritto:
    >

    > >>4) how was the interaction with Howard Lewis Ship? :)

    > >Howard was great. He's already been dabbling in the Ruby waters (he's
    > >been known to post to this list, actually) so he was actually quite
    > >curious about Rails. Don't expect him to change Tapestry to an ERb
    > >style templating system anytime soon, though. ;) I must say, I *am*
    > >curious as to what it would take to plug a component-style model (ala
    > >Tapestry) into Rails, though. I know others (on the Rails list) have
    > >been asking for that, too.
    > >
    > >I'm certainly satisfied with Rails' existing view system, though.
    > >

    > eheh.. but I was thinking of HiveMind vs Needle ;)

    :) The topic didn't come up, actually. I had to leave early, though,
    so I didn't get much chance to talk with him face-to-face.

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://jamis.jamisbuck.org
    ------------------------------
    "I am Victor of Borge. You will be assimil-nine-ed."
    Jamis Buck, Feb 18, 2005
  10. Jamis Buck

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Feb 18, 2005, at 11:17 AM, pat eyler wrote:
    > The big questions then are:
    > 1) How did it go?
    > 2) For those of us that might be planning Rails presentations to
    > non-Ruby audiences, what should we watch for/think about?

    We can and should answer these questions for ourselves for the
    south.seattle.rb meeting. We obviously have a lot to learn about giving
    smooth/impressive presentations.
    Ryan Davis, Feb 18, 2005
  11. Jamis Buck

    Eric Hodel Guest

    --Apple-Mail-11--536214559

    On 18 Feb 2005, at 13:34, wrote:

    >> I also tried to focus on Rails' performance, which I think is where
    >> most of their interest was. These people were all pretty focused on
    >> Java--using it in their workplace, etc., so it's not very likely that
    >> any single presentation would ever convert them to Ruby if all it

    > does
    >> is focus on "cool". So I tried to give some performance metrics for
    >> Basecamp and 43 Things (thanks very much to DHH and Eric Hodel for
    >> their assistance!), and I think that really opened their eyes.

    > Would you mind elaborating on the figures in the slides a bit, with the
    > sort of comments you'd make in the talk?
    >
    > I'm considering advocating Rails as an alternative to PHP for some
    > projects I'm likely to be involved it. We'd be using it backed by
    > postgres (on linux). The audience is a couple of guys familiar with
    > java, php and perl. I believe I can articulate the developer benefits
    > clearly, but I'm not really a sysadmin and so can't go into the detail
    > of what a statement like "43 things has load averages of 0.5 at
    > 6.6pages/sec on dual processor 2ghz xeons" really means.

    Actually, page 14 should read "~200k hits/day", and that's 6 pages/sec
    per FastCGI process (we're running 30 total).

    each box does ~100k hits/day of dynamic content without any noticeable
    load on the servers. (Load isn't noticeable until it hits at least 2,
    once you get to 4 you really start to feel things, because your
    commands get laggy and you have to nice things).

    Basically, we could probably run the whole site off of one box for a
    few more months of growth.

    > I mean I can
    > look at the homepage size and do back of the envelope math to say "ok,
    > that's roughly sustaining 8mbit" but I don't really have any framework
    > to compare that to what PHP, Perl, or ASP would sustain in that
    > situation.

    Our homepage is almost entirely pulled from memcache, we can serve
    *lots* of homepages.

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    --Apple-Mail-11--536214559
    name=PGP.sig
    content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

    --Apple-Mail-11--536214559--
    Eric Hodel, Feb 18, 2005
  12. Jamis Buck

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On 07:58 Sat 19 Feb , Eric Hodel wrote:
    > Actually, page 14 should read "~200k hits/day", and that's 6 pages/sec
    > per FastCGI process (we're running 30 total).
    >
    > each box does ~100k hits/day of dynamic content without any noticeable
    > load on the servers. (Load isn't noticeable until it hits at least 2,
    > once you get to 4 you really start to feel things, because your
    > commands get laggy and you have to nice things).
    >
    > Basically, we could probably run the whole site off of one box for a
    > few more months of growth.

    Thanks for the clarification, Eric. Sorry for the misrepresentation.
    I'll fix the presentation and upload it again.

    > >I mean I can
    > >look at the homepage size and do back of the envelope math to say "ok,
    > >that's roughly sustaining 8mbit" but I don't really have any framework
    > >to compare that to what PHP, Perl, or ASP would sustain in that
    > >situation.

    > Our homepage is almost entirely pulled from memcache, we can serve
    > *lots* of homepages.

    Very, very cool. :)

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://jamis.jamisbuck.org
    ------------------------------
    "I am Victor of Borge. You will be assimil-nine-ed."
    Jamis Buck, Feb 19, 2005
  13. Jamis Buck

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On 06:34 Sat 19 Feb , wrote:

    > > I also tried to focus on Rails' performance, which I think is where
    > > most of their interest was. These people were all pretty focused on
    > > Java--using it in their workplace, etc., so it's not very likely that
    > > any single presentation would ever convert them to Ruby if all it

    > does
    > > is focus on "cool". So I tried to give some performance metrics for
    > > Basecamp and 43 Things (thanks very much to DHH and Eric Hodel for
    > > their assistance!), and I think that really opened their eyes.

    > Would you mind elaborating on the figures in the slides a bit, with the
    > sort of comments you'd make in the talk?

    I'd be happy to answer specific questions. Trying to narrate each
    slide would take more time than I'm willing to spend on this right
    now, though.

    One thing I learned while I was giving the presentation: the load
    number is the average number of processes waiting for a resource.
    Didn't know that before. :)

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://jamis.jamisbuck.org
    "I am Victor of Borge. You will be assimil-nine-ed."
    Jamis Buck, Feb 19, 2005
  14. Jamis Buck

    Guest

    Thanks Eric. That's much more the sort of numbers I expected.
    , Feb 19, 2005