Re: Frameset scrolling

Discussion in 'HTML' started by qfr, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. qfr

    qfr Guest

    So, nobody's actually answered this question. I have a site which use
    frames as well. I'm very happy with the way they work in thi
    particular site, and none of the issues mentioned on those variou
    linked "frames are evil" pages applies to me; I'm listed exactly th
    way I want to be in search engines, I only have one frame whose sourc
    is actually changing, so there's no "back" button confusion, and I'v
    tested the site in multiple browsers and OSes, to fine results. Th
    "content" pages are designed to look just fine outside the frameset
    and look just fine they do. The site isn't designed to be printed from
    and that actually works to my advantage. I actually WANT my navigatio
    to be unavailable to users who access any single page from outside
    Anyway.

    Similarly to the original poster, I'd like to be able to scroll th
    whole page, non-scrolling frames and all, and I can't scare up a way t
    do it.

    To no avail, I've tried the following:

    -- index.html --
    <FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*">
    <FRAME SRC="frames.html" SCROLLING="yes">
    <FRAME SRC="doesntmatter.html">
    </FRAMESET>

    -- frames.html --
    <FRAMESET COLS="789,*">
    <FRAMESET ROWS="76,*">
    <FRAMESET COLS="374,*">
    <FRAME SRC="top_l.html"
    SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="ul">
    <FRAME SRC="top_r.html"
    SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="ur">
    </FRAMESET>
    <FRAMESET COLS="189,*">
    <FRAME SRC="nav.html"
    SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="nav">
    <FRAME SRC="changes.html"
    SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="content">
    </FRAMESET>
    </FRAMESET>
    <FRAME SRC="right.html"
    SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="r">
    </FRAMESET>

    So, look, rather than an unhelpful reply about why I shouldn't be usin
    frames, anyone have an idea how to actually make this work

    -
    qf

    qfr, Apr 20, 2004

  2. qfr

    Karl Groves Guest

    "qfr" <4designers.com> wrote in message

    > So, look, rather than an unhelpful reply about why I shouldn't be using
    > frames, anyone have an idea how to actually make this work?

    When you can successfully argue that replies which state "don't use frames"
    are unhelpful, I'll answer your question.

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, Apr 21, 2004

  3. qfr wrote:

    > Similarly to the original poster, I'd like to be able to scroll the
    > whole page, non-scrolling frames and all, and I can't scare up a way to
    > do it.

    Well, there's your killer reason for not using frames then.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 21, 2004
  4. qfr

    Steve Pugh Guest

    qfr <4designers.com> wrote:

    >So, nobody's actually answered this question.

    Because there is no answer other than the one that you've rejected.
    Tough luck.

    >Similarly to the original poster, I'd like to be able to scroll the
    >whole page, non-scrolling frames and all, and I can't scare up a way to
    >do it.

    It can't be done.

    >So, look, rather than an unhelpful reply about why I shouldn't be using
    >frames, anyone have an idea how to actually make this work?

    It can't be done.

    Closest you could get would be to use some JavaScript to link the
    scrolling of one frame to the scrolling of another. So using the
    scrollbar in either frame would move both of them. Unless the content
    of the frames are the same height the frames will scroll at different
    rates. And you would still have two scrollbars not one.

    Get rid of the frames and the problem vanishes. So ask yourself
    whether the advantages you think you gain from frames outweigh this
    scrolling problem.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Apr 21, 2004