read a ms word doc

sajithkahawatta

i wrote a code to read a doc and display that data on web page. in
asp.net i woked properly in my iis ms word is installed in this pc.
but when i published in another sever in which there is no ms word
instslled it give error in it i used com reference.

i want to know is there is a way to read a doc when ms word is not
instslled on the server.

Aidy

To use Word automation you must have Word installed on the server. Using
automation of Office products from a web site is a very bad idea for many
reasons. Word is not designed to be automated from an interfaceless multi
threaded environment.

Mark Rae

i wrote a code to read a doc and display that data on web page. in
asp.net i woked properly in my iis ms word is installed in this pc.
but when i published in another sever in which there is no ms word
instslled it give error in it i used com reference.

i want to know is there is a way to read a doc when ms word is not
instslled on the server.

I've already answered this twice now in the C# forum, so here we go for the
third time...

Server-side automation of Office is not supported at all by Microsoft, and
is highly unlikely to work in a networked environment:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

If you need to read a Word document server-side, then you need to use this:
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words

Do not under any circumstances install Microsoft Office on a webserver.

sajithkahawatta

no i upload a doc file in to server and read it then display on the
web page

sajithkahawatta

if i use asposeword, should i install it in to the server. is it so i
think installing ms word is better far my application.
thanks

Mark Rae

if i use asposeword, should i install it in to the server.

Aspose is a fully managed .NET assembly - no installation required. Just
drop the .dll into your app's \bin folder and you're good to go.
is it so i think installing ms word is better far my application.

Read the following two Microsoft articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

Then read them both again.

If, after reading them, you *still* believe that server-side Word automation
is an intelligent thing to do, then I would respectfully suggest that you
consider an alternative career...

sajithkahawatta

one more quetion,
in the artical it show to modify the doc but i want to read a doc and
grt that data in to variable . can u give me a samle code to read a
doc
because i can not understand the artical well
thank you.

Mark Rae

one more quetion,
in the artical it show to modify the doc but i want to read a doc and
grt that data in to variable . can u give me a samle code to read a
doc
because i can not understand the artical well

What article are you talking about...?

Mark Rae

the link shown gy steve c. orr
the link "http://steveorr.net/reviews/AsposeWord.aspx"

Ah right...

In that article, Steve demonstrates how to use Aspose to allow .NET
solutions to interface with Microsoft Office apps - specifically, in this
case, Microsoft Word.

Aspose is a 3rd-party add-in for .NET - if you want to use it, you have to
buy it!
http://www.aspose.com/Purchase/Aspose.Words/Default.aspx
whatever can u give me a sample code.

Once you have purchased Aspose and copied the .dll into your \bin folder,
then the code samples in Steve's article will work...