Read Client Environment Variable

B N

A quick question:

How do I read client side environment variables using ASP.NET ?

What I want to do is:
1. users open a webpage
2. the page should collect all the information eg login name, domain,
Windows version etc
3. store the information in database.

I will be glad if anyone can share their experience or point me to correct
direction.

thanks,
BN

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

B said:
A quick question:

How do I read client side environment variables using ASP.NET ?

What I want to do is:
1. users open a webpage
2. the page should collect all the information eg login name, domain,
Windows version etc
3. store the information in database.

I will be glad if anyone can share their experience or point me to correct
direction.

thanks,
BN

I sincerely hope that you realize that the only way to do that (at least
in normal security conditions) is to ask the user to fill the data
manually...

HTH,
Laurent

B N

Hello Laurent,

Laurent Bugnion said:
Hi,

I sincerely hope that you realize that the only way to do that (at least
in normal security conditions) is to ask the user to fill the data
manually...

HTH,
Laurent

Thanks for your reply.
I was thinking about that for a while.
But I was not sure so I could not say "that is impossible" using ASP unless
user do it manually.
Although it is not Javascipt list I would just like to know if my problem
can be solved using javascript.

Thanks again for your help.

BN

Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

Hi,

B said:
Hello Laurent,

Thanks for your reply.
I was thinking about that for a while.
But I was not sure so I could not say "that is impossible" using ASP unless
user do it manually.
Although it is not Javascipt list I would just like to know if my problem
can be solved using javascript.

No, it's not possible. JavaScript has a very strict sandbox.

The only way I can imagine it even remotely possible would be to use a
signed ActiveX, the user approving its use, and trying to get the data.
But even then I cannot guarantee that it will work. Besides, with all
the phishing sites nowadays, I would recommend against it anyway.

HTH,
Laurent

B N

Thanks Laurent.