Read, Edit and Save Word Document over http:// path

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by JohnSouth, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. JohnSouth

    JohnSouth Guest

    Hi

    I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
    helpful.

    I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
    directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
    edit the content and then update the document on the server.

    I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
    get a "read only" message when I try to save.

    I'm happy to code httpRequest objects or Word automation,if necessary,
    but I need to resulting procedure to be intuitive for the user.

    Has anyone got this working?

    Cheers

    John South
    Pangbourne UK
    www.WhereCanWeGo.com

    JohnSouth, Sep 21, 2006

  2. JohnSouth

    Slim Guest

    "JohnSouth" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
    > helpful.
    >
    > I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
    > directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
    > edit the content and then update the document on the server.
    >
    > I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
    > get a "read only" message when I try to save.

    do you have front page extentions installed?
    do you have write permissions to the files?

    Slim, Sep 21, 2006

  3. JohnSouth

    JohnSouth Guest

    No, I don't have frontpage extensions installed.
    Yes, I do have write permissions to the files both in IIS and Windows.

    John South

    JohnSouth, Sep 22, 2006
  4. JohnSouth

    Slim Guest

    "JohnSouth" <> wrote in message
    > No, I don't have frontpage extensions installed.
    > Yes, I do have write permissions to the files both in IIS and Windows.

    You need front page extensions installed to be able to save word docs onto
    the server.

    Slim, Sep 26, 2006
  5. JohnSouth

    JohnSouth Guest

    I've installed FrontPage extensions but it has not helped. The Word
    document opened from the http:// url is still read-only when I try to
    save it back. Is there anything else I should look at Slim?

    John South

    JohnSouth, Sep 28, 2006
  6. JohnSouth

    Slim Guest

    "JohnSouth" <> wrote in message
    > I've installed FrontPage extensions but it has not helped. The Word
    > document opened from the http:// url is still read-only when I try to
    > save it back. Is there anything else I should look at Slim?

    Yes frontpage persissions.

    you need to giver your self author or administrator permissions for that
    site

    Slim, Sep 28, 2006