Read, Edit and Save Word Document over http:// path

JohnSouth

Hi

I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
helpful.

I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
edit the content and then update the document on the server.

I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
get a "read only" message when I try to save.

I'm happy to code httpRequest objects or Word automation,if necessary,
but I need to resulting procedure to be intuitive for the user.

Has anyone got this working?

Cheers

John South
Pangbourne UK
www.WhereCanWeGo.com

Slim

JohnSouth said:
Hi

I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
helpful.

I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
edit the content and then update the document on the server.

I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
get a "read only" message when I try to save.

do you have front page extentions installed?
do you have write permissions to the files?

JohnSouth

No, I don't have frontpage extensions installed.
Yes, I do have write permissions to the files both in IIS and Windows.

John South

Slim

JohnSouth said:
No, I don't have frontpage extensions installed.
Yes, I do have write permissions to the files both in IIS and Windows.

You need front page extensions installed to be able to save word docs onto
the server.

JohnSouth

I've installed FrontPage extensions but it has not helped. The Word
document opened from the http:// url is still read-only when I try to
save it back. Is there anything else I should look at Slim?

John South

Slim

JohnSouth said:
I've installed FrontPage extensions but it has not helped. The Word
document opened from the http:// url is still read-only when I try to
save it back. Is there anything else I should look at Slim?

Yes frontpage persissions.

you need to giver your self author or administrator permissions for that
site