Recording sound files from javascript

lrandolph

Is there a way to allow a user to record a sound file from javascript
or html? We need to be able to record and convert to binary to send
via XML. If possible, we'd like this to be a server side process as
our customer does not want to have to install software on the client
workstations.

Thanks,

Lynne

web.dev

Hi Lynne,

Javascript nor html have a mechanism in which it can take sound as
input.

You can however, have a form on a page and have the user give a sound
file to upload. But then you would have to know how to parse the
contents of sound file on the server side.

Matthew Lock

Is there a way to allow a user to record a sound file from javascript
or html? We need to be able to record and convert to binary to send
via XML. If possible, we'd like this to be a server side process as
our customer does not want to have to install software on the client
workstations.

Not in Javascript, but there seem to be some Java Applets that can
record audio on the client and upload it to a server:
http://www.javasonics.com/ If you want to roll your own see:
http://www.jsresources.org/

Interestingly it looks like xforms may support recording of audio from
a web page: http://xformsinstitute.com/essentials/browse/ch06.php