    Thanks,

    Lynne

    , Jul 12, 2005

  2. web.dev Guest

    Hi Lynne,

    >>Is there a way to allow a user to record a sound file from javascript or html?

    Javascript nor html have a mechanism in which it can take sound as
    input.

    You can however, have a form on a page and have the user give a sound
    file to upload. But then you would have to know how to parse the
    contents of sound file on the server side.

    web.dev, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Matthew Lock Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there a way to allow a user to record a sound file from javascript
    > or html? We need to be able to record and convert to binary to send
    > via XML. If possible, we'd like this to be a server side process as
    > our customer does not want to have to install software on the client
    > workstations.

    Not in Javascript, but there seem to be some Java Applets that can
    record audio on the client and upload it to a server:
    http://www.javasonics.com/ If you want to roll your own see:
    http://www.jsresources.org/

    Interestingly it looks like xforms may support recording of audio from
    a web page: http://xformsinstitute.com/essentials/browse/ch06.php

    Matthew Lock, Jul 13, 2005