Reference a class without App_Code

dan_vee

Hello everyone,

I've been out of the .NET loop for a little while. This question might
seem trivial for many of you. But I 'm a bit stumped. I recently
started to work with VS 2005 ASP.NET 2.0. The notion of App_Code
didn't exist in the good old VS 2003. I have a web application, I
deployed on a server. For security reasons, I can't use the App_Code
folder and my classes must be referenced directly (VB. NET).

Basic question : how do I reference them ?
If they are not in the App_Code, my myPage.aspx.vb classes can't "see"
them.
I imagine this is pretty simple, but lurking the groups and the helps
files gave me no info.

Thanks VERY MUCH in advance,
Dan.

Thomas Hansen

Hello everyone,

I've been out of the .NET loop for a little while. This question might
seem trivial for many of you. But I 'm a bit stumped. I recently
started to work with VS 2005 ASP.NET 2.0. The notion of App_Code
didn't exist in the good old VS 2003. I have a web application, I
deployed on a server. For security reasons, I can't use the App_Code
folder and my classes must be referenced directly (VB. NET).

Download the WAP (Web Application Projects for Visual Studio
2005... ;)

..t

dan_vee

Download and install SP1 for VS.NET 2005

Thanks for taking the time to answer me guys.

But reading back my message, I realize my bad. I wasn't very precise
with my question.
I built my application with VS 2005 so I don't need to convert it. If
I'm not mistaking, that is what Web Application Projects for Visual
Studio 2005 does. Also, I went through the hotfixes in SP1 and didn't
see at first glance in what way this can help me.

Basically, I want to reference a Class in my code behind class without
App_code.
When deploying my application, all I can push to the server are ASPX
pages and VB files. Nothing PreCompiled. The server compiles at run
times.
What I'm looking for is a equivalent to "include myclass.cpp" (C++) in
VB.NET

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.

Dan.

wfairl

Thanks for taking the time to answer me guys.

But reading back my message, I realize my bad. I wasn't very precise
with my question.
I built my application with VS 2005 so I don't need to convert it. If
I'm not mistaking, that is what Web Application Projects for Visual
Studio 2005 does. Also, I went through the hotfixes in SP1 and didn't
see at first glance in what way this can help me.

Basically, I want to reference a Class in my code behind class without
App_code.
When deploying my application, all I can push to the server are ASPX
pages and VB files. Nothing PreCompiled. The server compiles at run
times.
What I'm looking for is a equivalent to "include myclass.cpp" (C++) in
VB.NET

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.

Dan.

You do need to convert it if you want to reference classes outside of
app_code as you mentioned. The service pack as well as the patch
mentioned allow for a web application project that follows a similar
model to the vs 2003 one.