RELEASED Python 3.0rc3

Barry Warsaw

Mensanator

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
am happy to announce the third and last planned release candidate for
Python 3.0.

This is a release candidate, so while it is not quite suitable for
production environments, we strongly encourage you to download and
test this release on your software.  We expect only critical bugs to
be fixed between now and the final release, currently planned for 03-
Dec-2008.

I'm getting confused. Final release will just say Python 3.0, right?

And 2.6 is in final release? So when ActiveState speaks of 2.6.0.0
they mean a final release?

So, if the IDLE from ActiveState comes up and says 2.6 (indicating
final release), shouldn't the copywrite message also say 2.6
instead of 2.6rc1 as shown here?

Python 2.6rc1 (r26rc1:66438, Sep 13 2008, 09:20:38) [MSC v.1500 32
bit
(Intel)] on win32

Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
interface. This connection is not visible on any external
interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.

IDLE 2.6

Steve Holden

Mensanator said:

[...]

Indeed it should. This is my Windows 2.6 installed from 2.6 final on
python.org:

C:\Users\sholden>\python26\python
Python 2.6 (r26:66721, Oct 2 2008, 11:35:03) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
You will note that the Subversion version number is considerably higher.
Don't worry, 2.6.1 will be out in a month or so ;-)

regards
Steve

Aahz

So, if the IDLE from ActiveState comes up and says 2.6 (indicating
final release), shouldn't the copywrite message also say 2.6
instead of 2.6rc1 as shown here?

That would be an "oops"; please file a bug report, we're going to be
releasing 2.6.1 about the same time as 3.0.

Trent Mick

And 2.6 is in final release? So when ActiveState speaks of 2.6.0.0
they mean a final release?

Yes. The first three parts of the ActivePython version are the same as
the core Python version on which it is based.

So, if the IDLE from ActiveState comes up and says 2.6 (indicating
final release), shouldn't the copywrite message also say 2.6
instead of 2.6rc1 as shown here?

Python 2.6rc1 (r26rc1:66438, Sep 13 2008, 09:20:38) [MSC v.1500 32
bit
(Intel)] on win32

This is what I get when I run IDLE with ActivePython 2.6.0.0 installed:

-----
Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Nov 11 2008, 10:21:19) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
-----

I ran it like this:

C:\Python26> pythonw.exe Lib\idelib\idle.pyw

I believe there is a problem with your install. My guess is that your
ActivePython install is using an older python26.dll sitting around
somewhere.

Is there a python26.dll somewhere in your "C:\Python26" directory, or
wherever you installed ActivePython 2.6?

Trent