Renaming App_Code.dll

Martin Simard

Hi all,

Is there a way to rename the App_Code.dll generated from the code that
belongs to the App_Code folder?

We are developping several web applications that we are merging in a single
application on our production server. This works great with the new
compilation model of .NET 2.0, but we have to create a class library for
each web application to have a unique .dll for each app. Each class library
has a unique name since it produces a class_library_name.dll. It would be
nice to rename the App_Code.dll to avoid creating n-applications class
libraries.

Thanks,

Martin

Martin Simard

Yes, I looked at it. But it's getting back to the VS 2003 functionnalities I
think...

We are redesinging our framework, and we are getting advantage of the new
compilation model of VS 2005 to reuse web controls (see:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/28/423888.aspx). And with
WAP, the "Publish Web Site" option is not available for those kind of
projects. Ok we have a unique DLL for each project but, as far as I know, no
more options to build multiple DLLs for each pages/controls and reuse them
with the created stub files. (Even aspnet_compiler.exe is creating an empty
folder).

If there's a way to have best of both worlds, let me know!

M.

Phuff

I'm in a similar boat. We have several webservices written. Most are
in vb but on is in C#. There is way too much code to rewrite them all
in one language. I can't have different webservices written in
different langauges (although they're all .Net 2.0). Where is the
specialty of the CLR here? Seems to me like they took down the
"feature" of interactive languages.

Juan T. Llibre

You are suffering from a lack of research into how the .Net Framework actually works.

You may have missed the option to use different .net languages in the same web application,
by differentiating the source code languages in their own App_Code subdirectories.

By default, the App_Code directory can only contain files in the same language.

However, you may partition the App_Code directory into subdirectories
(each containing files of the same language) in order to contain multiple
languages under the App_Code directory.

To do this, you need to register each subdirectory in the Web.config file for the application.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation>
<codeSubDirectories>
<add directoryName="CSharpSubdirectory"/>
<add directoryName="VBSubdirectory"/>
</codeSubDirectories>
</compilation>
</system.web>
</configuration>

The

ApplicationName\App_Code\CSharpSubdirectory
and the
ApplicationName\App_Code\VBSubdirectory

must exist and have only files in each of those languages.