Rendering a image in a java applet

svenkatesan

Group,
I am trying to load a 300DPI image that exits on the server in a java
applet. The time it takes to stream the data, render the image(high
quality) is 8-9secs. If I try to render the image at a low quality
first and then change it to high quality it is 4 seconds but now you
have the issue of repainting the image after its initial load.

What would you suggest as a good algorithm for rendering a 300DPI TIF
image in a java applet with the minimal load/display time. If anyone
know of a good thirdparty (open or shareware) please redirect me to
their site.

I appreciate all your help

Thanks
Saravana

jan V

Group,
I am trying to load a 300DPI image that exits on the server in a java
applet.

Java applets run on the client, not the server. Can you rephrase to
disambiguate?
What would you suggest as a good algorithm for rendering a 300DPI TIF

DPI isn't a very helpful unit when talking applets. Pixels (width * height)
is a lot more natural.

Roedy Green

What would you suggest as a good algorithm for rendering a 300DPI TIF
image in a java applet with the minimal load/display time. If anyone
know of a good thirdparty (open or shareware) please redirect me to
their site.

I would try converting it to PNG and loading that. I believe it has a
built in interlacing that should get some sort of image up there fast.

Roedy Green

What would you suggest as a good algorithm for rendering a 300DPI TIF
image in a java applet with the minimal load/display time. If anyone
know of a good thirdparty (open or shareware) please redirect me to
their site.

If you go for TIF you have the problem of downloading the TIFF
rendering library with your Applet which would really slow things
down.

Roedy Green

I am trying to load a 300DPI image that exits on the server in a java
applet.

This literally makes no sense. What you might mean is you are sending
the image to a Java Applet to display than runs on the client, or that
you are sending an image to a browser to display embedded in HTML.
You also might mean that you are displaying the image on the server.

If you mean the second, then TIFF won't work. There is no browser
support for it. You would need to get your clients to install some
tiff-displaying plugin.

svenkatesan

Thanks for your help, using PNG format definately speeded things up.

I would try converting it to PNG and loading that. I believe it has a