Rendering one page temporarily while another posts back

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by WhiskeyRomeo, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. WhiskeyRomeo

    WhiskeyRomeo Guest

    I have seen this done on many sites but cannot imagine how this is done in
    ..Net 1.1.

    We want to render another page displaying an animated gif while a credit
    card order is processed. So the scenario would be a Check Out page where a
    customer presses a submit order button. Next the page with the animated gif
    would display while the credit card is being processed and the order is being
    saved. If all goes well, the customer is redirected to a Receipt page. If
    not, the intermediate page displaying the animated gif goes away leaving the
    customer on the Check Out page with messages indicating the reason for
    failure (the number one reason is invalid credit card credentials).

    Presently, the customer is simply taken to a receipt page. But my customers
    want the above scenario.

    It seems to me the intermediate page must display before the Check Out page
    posts back; and, the Check Out page has to close the intermediate page when
    it has completed the post back and encountered no errors. Then the redirect
    to the Receipt page must happen.

    wr

    WhiskeyRomeo, Dec 17, 2007

  2. WhiskeyRomeo

    bruce barker Guest

    the browser will not run an animated gif during a postback. you have two
    options

    1). post back and start a thread to do the processing. then using a meta
    tag, poll until complete.

    2) do the postback with ajax.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 17, 2007

  3. WhiskeyRomeo

    WhiskeyRomeo Guest

    2 is not an option in 1.1 is it? And I have no idea how to do 1.

    WhiskeyRomeo, Dec 17, 2007
  4. Mark Rae [MVP], Dec 17, 2007