    Say my viewport is 800px high, a 16px high image is rendered by the
    browser 50 times but a 1px high image is rendered 800 times.

    Anybody have any thoughts?

    James, Aug 9, 2007

  2. James

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:59:49 GMT
    James scribed:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > My site design has a repeating background image that scrolls down the
    > left hand side of the page, it's a mere 256px by 16px. However, the
    > nature of the design means that the image would work if it was only
    > 1px in height.
    >
    > A long long time ago I read on a site about optimizing web pages that
    > said to _not_ use images 1px high for repeating backgrounds because
    > browsers struggle to show so many instances of an image on the screen.
    > In these days of 256mb ram minimum on even old machines does this
    > still apply (if it ever did) or can I use this image.
    >
    > Say my viewport is 800px high, a 16px high image is rendered by the
    > browser 50 times but a 1px high image is rendered 800 times.
    >
    > Anybody have any thoughts?

    I used a 2x2 gif one time wherein 2 of the 4 pixels were transparent, and
    ie6 struggled just rendering that. When you scrolled the page, the part
    with this background like kind of "stuck" for a sec or 2. On the other
    hand, Mozilla (-pre Firefox) had no trouble with it.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 9, 2007

  3. James

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 9 Aug, 11:59, James <> wrote:

    > A long long time ago I read on a site about optimizing web pages that
    > said to _not_ use images 1px high for repeating backgrounds

    Its current irrelevance is obvious, but just where and when did you
    find such a snippet that was _never_ correct?

    Andy Dingley, Aug 9, 2007