  1. i have a web based application that uses a lot of OCXs. i am planning on
    rebuilding my application. how do i replace my OCXs. is Smart client an
    answer to my question.

    Praveen Pandey, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Praveen Pandey

    smith Guest

    Personally, where corporate users are known to be running Windows I think
    Smart Clients (or at the very least AutoDeployed Winforms using Remoting)
    are an excellent way to give the user a real "Windows" experience. It can
    be a solid option and does not have to wait for .Net2.

    What Mr. Hollis mentioned long ago
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnadvnet/html/vbnet10142001.asp
    ) and we all saw at the beta presentations truly works. I've made a number
    of them that have been running now for years (literally) on a bicoastal
    network.

    As you already know, what won't work with AutoDeploy is COM/ActiveX controls
    (and DirectX or any other tech that goes low into the user machine and
    requires local drivers) so you will have to find replacements. For the
    usual replacements (robust Grids, etc) either use the ones that come with VS
    or go to managed versions such as the ones from ComponentOne.com (did you
    know that you can get all of the real ComponentOne Winform controls with a
    full deployment license as part of the free VB Resource Kit at:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/vbrkit/default.aspx ?) these work with any
    managed "language" and, because they are 100% managed components, they
    follow their parent assemblies down to the user machines automatically. I've
    never had a problem with my use of FlexGridPro.Net at all).

    If you have to talk to Mac people then you have to code down to them with
    the lowest common platform which is the browser ... then again you don't
    seem to have that restriction because you are already using OCXes.

    For more specialized OCXes you will have to look around for managed versions
    or, you may be surprised to find that you can now code the functionality
    yourself with .Net :)

    Just an opinion, from experience.

    Robert Smith
    Kirkland, WA