Equivalent of applets or ActiveX controls in .NET?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBEYW4=?=, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    This may sound a trivial question but I didn't find (yet) the equivalent of
    ..NET to ActiveX controls (good old COM way :) ) or Java applets which I am
    not familiar with but I understand how they work.

    Just to explain more clearly. I am looking for:
    • An option to run a rich UI application on the client browser not based on
    HTML tags or formatting but pure .NET application that uses GDI+ and anything
    else required for an application (with or without security limitations)
    • The application will be embedded inside a web page and the user will use
    it/see it when using the web browser.

    (Web Form controls and\or User controls are not the answer since they only
    produce HTML tags)

    Did I miss it big time in the documentation?

    --
    Thanks
    Eric

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBEYW4=?=, Jan 20, 2005

  2. You still have to use java applets or activex if you want a thick client.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgU2ltb25z?=, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Thanks!

    This is more a question to Microsoft:
    Is there any future plan to support this scenario?

    Eric

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBEYW4=?=, Jan 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBEYW4=?=

    darrel Guest

    > This is more a question to Microsoft:
    > Is there any future plan to support this scenario?

    Wouldn't this have to be supported by the browser?

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 20, 2005
  5. Yes, but microsoft is powerful enough to extend the HTML specification for
    supporting this kind of objects.

    it is only an <OBJECT dotnetassembly=..> or something like that :)

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBEYW4=?=, Jan 20, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBEYW4=?=

    Jeff @ Dart Guest

    Hello Eric,

    You may want to check out our new product, LiveControls for ASP.NET.
    This is a suite of 20+ server controls which communicate with the
    webserver without refreshing the page. They do render HTML however, so
    it isn't exactly what you describe, but the end result is the same
    (Rich Windows-like UI in a browser). Also, there are no security
    limitations.

    Check out a live demo at http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/display.aspx
    or the product description at
    http://www.dart.com/powerweb/livecontrols.asp

    Jeff @ Dart, Jan 20, 2005
  7. My friends have you not heard for SmartClients ?

    Requires client to have .net Framwork installed on there side, pretty much
    the same as have the java runtime on client.

    It is much much easier then ActiveX way of things.
    Look into it and try it. Very cool.

    Deasun

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhc3Vu?=, Jan 20, 2005
  8. > Yes, but microsoft is powerful enough to extend the HTML specification for
    > supporting this kind of objects.

    You're kidding. I hate to tell you this, but Microsoft doesn't make Internet
    standards. Microsoft didn't create the Internet, doesn't own the Internet,
    and has no "power" over the Internet. In fact, nobody does.

    As a matter of fact, you can host .Net Windows forms on Internet Explorer
    only. Therefore, there is no need to "extend the HTML specification." See:

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 20, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBEYW4=?=

    darrel Guest

    > Yes, but microsoft is powerful enough to extend the HTML specification for
    > supporting this kind of objects.

    Huh?

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 20, 2005
  10. Yeah, that was my reaction too.

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 20, 2005
  11. ..Net didn't provide a way to create activeX control. But you can put ActiveX
    control in .aspx page as you put it in html page.

    =?Utf-8?B?UnVsaW4gSG9uZw==?=, Jan 20, 2005
  12. Here's an article that talks about his:

    Return of the Rich Client
    Code Access Security and Distribution Features in .NET Enhance Client-Side
    Apps

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/06/rich/default.aspx

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 20, 2005