Requires help from Super-MVP: Need JavaScript to produce behavior of radio button in 2 groups?

Amelyan

When we want radio button to belong to a group name we say,
radio1.GroupName="GroupA". In this case, radio1 will be unselected if
another radio button is selected in "GroupA".

Is there a way (trick, custom RadioButton, or javascript) to make radio
button (radio1) belong
to 2 independent radio button groups instead of one? This would be an
equivalent of sayting something like
radio1.GroupName1 = "GroupA";
radio1.GroupName2 = "GroupB";

Hence, whenever radio button is selected in one of the two groups, radio1 is
unselected. Also, I need a non-postBack solution. Client side
functionality, just like single Group radio button.

Thanks,
Amelyan

PS> Example of what I need to accomplish:

Imagine that you have a matrix/grid of radio buttons with, for examle,
3 rows and 3 columns.

O O O
O O O
O O O

When you check a radio button in this matrix, you don't want anything
else selected in the same row and column. One neat way to accomplish
this is if there was a way to have radio button belong to two groups,
e.g. "Row2" and "Column2".

Thanks,
-Amelyan

Random

You won't get this behavior from any existing controls that I'm aware of.
It certainly isn't standard radio button functionality.

The simplest solution would be to NOT use the ASP.NET controls, but just
work with the html for the buttons. In your client-side javascript then,
add the radio buttons to arrays that make up the grouping behavior you want
them to have. You can also make this a two-dimensional array so you
effectively have an array of arrays (makes it easier to loop through all
your groups/controls).

Then you'll have to write a javascript function to handle the even (onClick
or onBlur), and iterate through your arrays to get the behavior you want.

Overall, it's not as difficult as it seems. If you're going to be using
this a lot, you might want to write this functionality into a new ASP.NET
custom control. Post it on SourceForge and share it with the rest of us!

Random

Amelyan

And the Super-MVP award goes to <pause> John Timney!!!

Thanks John. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Amelyan