Resize Window

James Smith

Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser window.

James.

Karl Groves

James Smith said:
Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
window.

Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
they'll change it themselves

-Karl

James Smith

If I wanted to know that I would have asked.

I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.

Did I ask for an Opinion.?

J.

SpaceGirl

If I wanted to know that I would have asked.

I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.

Did I ask for an Opinion.?

J.

Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.

ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have JS
turned on it wont work.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

James Smith

SpaceGirl said:
Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.

ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have
JS turned on it wont work.
Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
on. if they miss out on seeing it that way, that' fine. But at least I
tried :)

J.

Karl Groves

If I wanted to know that I would have asked.

I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.

If you want to make things "easier" then stop fucking with the user's
preference.

-Karl

Karl Groves

James Smith said:
SpaceGirl wrote:
Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
on.

What difference would it make if they have java turned on or off? Spacegirl
was talking about javascript.

-Karl

Karl Groves

SpaceGirl said:
Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.

You're funny. My work next to people with PhDs in Human Factors Engineering
on websites for 60 gov't agencies and Fortune 100 companies.
You build "fan sites". You might be a good programmer and graphic designer,
but you know fuckall about usability.

If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
browser window.

-Karl

SpaceGirl

Karl said:
You're funny.

yay :D

Since when has PHDs or Degrees meant **** all in the real world? :|
You build "fan sites". You might be a good programmer and graphic designer,
but you know fuckall about usability.

Actually I know a lot about it... I design front ends for people like
AXA, Coke and Kwik-Fit. The fan site stuff is the freelance I do on the
side (I enjoy having a bit of creative freedom).
If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
browser window.

That would be hist choice, not yours. If you were going to piss on him,
you might have at least answered the question at the same time.

Your ARE right... I'd never dream of resizing a window on on any of my
clients sites (Coke or a fan site). But that wasn't what the OP asked
now was it...

:p

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

PeterMcC

James Smith wrote in
Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
on. if they miss out on seeing it that way, that' fine. But at least I
tried :)

Just a small point - please excuse my mentioning of it if it's outside the
range of acceptable comment - it's JavaScript, not Java. You may well be
aware of the difference and it was perhaps a typo above but it might cause
confusion later on if you referred to one and meant the other.

Karl Groves

Since when has PHDs or Degrees meant **** all in the real world? :|

When the PhD is in Human Factors Engineering, it means a shitload,
considering the work performed - namely, Usability.
Your ARE right... I'd never dream of resizing a window on on any of my
clients sites (Coke or a fan site). But that wasn't what the OP asked
now was it...

If someone said "How can I best kill myself?", would you reply with "Get a
large gun, put it to your temple and squeeze the trigger", or would you say
"Is there anything I can do to help you overcome this desire to die?"

Sometimes the answer someone *needs* is not the answer they want.

-Karl

SpaceGirl

Karl said:
When the PhD is in Human Factors Engineering, it means a shitload,
considering the work performed - namely, Usability.

while I dont want to belittle the work of your collegues but... who
cares? It's about real world application in the context of web pages.
If someone said "How can I best kill myself?", would you reply with "Get a
large gun, put it to your temple and squeeze the trigger", or would you say
"Is there anything I can do to help you overcome this desire to die?"

How is that even the same? Come on, give me a real reason.

This place is full of people who will say "you shouldn't be doing that"
rather than answering the question, or at the very least asking "why?".
Sometimes the answer someone *needs* is not the answer they want.

But it's very arrogant to think you know what everyone really wants, not
what they are asking. Usenet is a terrible place for a newbie :/

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Daniel R. Tobias

James Smith said:
Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser window.

Fortunately, my preferred browser (Mozilla) lets me configure it to
ignore attempts by site authors to resize my browser windows.

Karl Groves

But it's very arrogant to think you know what everyone really wants, not
what they are asking. Usenet is a terrible place for a newbie :/

I don't know what *everyone* wants. Just Brucie and the OP.

The OP wants to **** his visitor. Brucie wants to get fucked.
I recommend we give Brucie the OP's URL

-Karl

Sam Hughes

Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
window.

James.

Since users find it annoying and revolting when you resize their browser
window, the best way is to give them the power:

SpaceGirl

Karl said:
I don't know what *everyone* wants. Just Brucie and the OP.

The OP wants to **** his visitor. Brucie wants to get fucked.
I recommend we give Brucie the OP's URL

-Karl

LOL fair enough :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
while I dont want to belittle the work of your collegues but... who
cares? It's about real world application in the context of web pages.

It's very short-sighted of you to think that academics don't have any
experience in industry. What do you think they do? Sit in their boxes all
day reading?

SpaceGirl

Dylan said:
It's very short-sighted of you to think that academics don't have any
experience in industry. What do you think they do? Sit in their boxes all
day reading?

That's not really what I meant! But academic life is very different from
commercial life.

My dad (who is an academic working in IT) is a good source of evidence :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Dave Patton

Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
window.

Don't do that.

What you could do is create a "preferences" page
on your site, and on that page allow the visitor
to your website to select how they want "help windows"
to be handled. You can then store their preferences
in a Cookie, and/or session variables, or, if they
are visitors who already have logged into the site,
along with their user information(e.g. in a database).
You could offer options of "standard link"(which should
be the default), "new browser window", or "small
popup window"(i.e. via javascript).

Webcastmaker

If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
browser window.

Hey since we have all heard these arguments about a million times,
and it is always the regulars who argue, how about we just set up a
code system. Then when you want to argue just include the code and
we will all know what we are talking about.

I propose the following code:

Code 118: Javascript is bad
Code 114: Javascript is good but only for non essential stuff
Code 112: **** everyone I can use Javascript when ever I want.
Code 105: What is Javascript?
Code 90: Frames suck
Code 85: Frames are great
Code 66: Only iframes are bad
Code 14: PopUp windows suck
Code 11: Popups are ok is your use target=_blank

and lastly
Code 601: brucie likes to watch kangaroos having sex