    Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
    want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser window.

    James.
    James Smith, Aug 10, 2004

  2. James Smith

    Karl Groves Guest

    "James Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:41189838$0$18669$...
    > Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
    > want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser

    window.

    Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
    they'll change it themselves

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 10, 2004

  3. James Smith

    James Smith Guest

    If I wanted to know that I would have asked.

    I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.

    Did I ask for an Opinion.?

    J.

    James Smith, Aug 10, 2004
  4. James Smith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    James Smith wrote:

    >>> Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
    >>> want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
    >>>

    >> Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
    >> they'll change it themselves
    >>
    >> -Karl

    > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
    >
    > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
    >
    > Did I ask for an Opinion.?
    >
    > J.

    Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
    arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
    gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.

    ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
    google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have JS
    turned on it wont work.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 10, 2004
  5. James Smith

    James Smith Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >>> Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
    >>> they'll change it themselves
    >>>
    >>> -Karl

    > > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
    > >
    > > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
    > >
    > > Did I ask for an Opinion.?
    > >
    > > J.

    > Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
    > arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
    > gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.
    >
    > ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
    > google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have
    > JS turned on it wont work.

    Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
    on. if they miss out on seeing it that way, that' fine. But at least I
    tried :)

    J.
    James Smith, Aug 10, 2004
  6. James Smith

    > Karl Groves wrote:
    >
    > >"James Smith" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
    > >>want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
    > >>

    > >window.
    > >
    > >Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
    > >they'll change it themselves
    > >
    > >-Karl
    > >

    > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
    >
    > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.

    If you want to make things "easier" then stop fucking with the user's
    preference.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 10, 2004
  7. James Smith

    > SpaceGirl wrote:

    > > ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
    > > google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have
    > > JS turned on it wont work.
    > >

    > Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
    > on.

    What difference would it make if they have java turned on or off? Spacegirl
    was talking about javascript.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 10, 2004
  8. James Smith

    Karl Groves Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > >> Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
    > >> they'll change it themselves
    > >>
    > >> -Karl

    > > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
    > >
    > > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
    > >
    > > Did I ask for an Opinion.?
    > >
    > > J.

    > Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
    > arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
    > gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.

    You're funny. My work next to people with PhDs in Human Factors Engineering
    on websites for 60 gov't agencies and Fortune 100 companies.
    You build "fan sites". You might be a good programmer and graphic designer,
    but you know fuckall about usability.

    If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
    ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
    is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
    browser window.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 10, 2004
  9. James Smith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Karl Groves wrote:
    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    >> > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
    >> >
    >> > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
    >> >
    >> > Did I ask for an Opinion.?
    >> >
    >> > J.

    >>Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
    >>arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
    >>gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.
    >>

    > You're funny.

    yay :D

    Since when has PHDs or Degrees meant **** all in the real world? :|

    > You build "fan sites". You might be a good programmer and graphic designer,
    > but you know fuckall about usability.

    Actually I know a lot about it... I design front ends for people like
    AXA, Coke and Kwik-Fit. The fan site stuff is the freelance I do on the
    side (I enjoy having a bit of creative freedom).

    > If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
    > ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
    > is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
    > browser window.

    That would be hist choice, not yours. If you were going to piss on him,
    you might have at least answered the question at the same time.

    Your ARE right... I'd never dream of resizing a window on on any of my
    clients sites (Coke or a fan site). But that wasn't what the OP asked
    now was it...

    > -Karl

    :p

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 10, 2004
  10. James Smith

    PeterMcC Guest

    James Smith wrote in
    <4118bdf5$0$25458$>

    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> James Smith wrote:
    >>

    >> ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
    >> google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have
    >> JS turned on it wont work.
    >>

    > Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
    > on. if they miss out on seeing it that way, that' fine. But at least I
    > tried :)

    Just a small point - please excuse my mentioning of it if it's outside the
    range of acceptable comment - it's JavaScript, not Java. You may well be
    aware of the difference and it was perhaps a typo above but it might cause
    confusion later on if you referred to one and meant the other.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Aug 10, 2004
  11. James Smith

    Karl Groves Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > Since when has PHDs or Degrees meant **** all in the real world? :|

    When the PhD is in Human Factors Engineering, it means a shitload,
    considering the work performed - namely, Usability.

    > Your ARE right... I'd never dream of resizing a window on on any of my
    > clients sites (Coke or a fan site). But that wasn't what the OP asked
    > now was it...

    If someone said "How can I best kill myself?", would you reply with "Get a
    large gun, put it to your temple and squeeze the trigger", or would you say
    "Is there anything I can do to help you overcome this desire to die?"

    Sometimes the answer someone *needs* is not the answer they want.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 10, 2004
  12. James Smith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Karl Groves wrote:

    >>Since when has PHDs or Degrees meant **** all in the real world? :|

    > When the PhD is in Human Factors Engineering, it means a shitload,
    > considering the work performed - namely, Usability.

    while I dont want to belittle the work of your collegues but... who
    cares? It's about real world application in the context of web pages.

    >>Your ARE right... I'd never dream of resizing a window on on any of my
    >>clients sites (Coke or a fan site). But that wasn't what the OP asked
    >>now was it...

    > If someone said "How can I best kill myself?", would you reply with "Get a
    > large gun, put it to your temple and squeeze the trigger", or would you say
    > "Is there anything I can do to help you overcome this desire to die?"

    How is that even the same? Come on, give me a real reason.

    This place is full of people who will say "you shouldn't be doing that"
    rather than answering the question, or at the very least asking "why?".

    > Sometimes the answer someone *needs* is not the answer they want.

    But it's very arrogant to think you know what everyone really wants, not
    what they are asking. Usenet is a terrible place for a newbie :/

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 10, 2004
  13. James Smith <> wrote in message news:<41189838$0$18669$>...
    > Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
    > want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser window.

    Fortunately, my preferred browser (Mozilla) lets me configure it to
    ignore attempts by site authors to resize my browser windows.

    --
    Dan
    Daniel R. Tobias, Aug 10, 2004
  14. James Smith

    Karl Groves Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > But it's very arrogant to think you know what everyone really wants, not
    > what they are asking. Usenet is a terrible place for a newbie :/

    I don't know what *everyone* wants. Just Brucie and the OP.

    The OP wants to **** his visitor. Brucie wants to get fucked.
    I recommend we give Brucie the OP's URL

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 10, 2004
  15. James Smith

    Sam Hughes Guest

    James Smith <> wrote in

    > Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
    > want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
    > window.
    >
    > James.

    Since users find it annoying and revolting when you resize their browser
    window, the best way is to give them the power:

    --
    In a room with thirty-seven people, never have everybody shake each other's
    hand.
    Sam Hughes, Aug 10, 2004
  16. James Smith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Karl Groves wrote:

    > I don't know what *everyone* wants. Just Brucie and the OP.
    >
    > The OP wants to **** his visitor. Brucie wants to get fucked.
    > I recommend we give Brucie the OP's URL
    >
    > -Karl

    LOL fair enough :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 10, 2004
  17. James Smith

    Dylan Parry Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >> When the PhD is in Human Factors Engineering, it means a shitload,
    >> considering the work performed - namely, Usability.

    > while I dont want to belittle the work of your collegues but... who
    > cares? It's about real world application in the context of web pages.

    It's very short-sighted of you to think that academics don't have any
    experience in industry. What do you think they do? Sit in their boxes all
    day reading?

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Listening to: Dream Theater - Metropolis, Part I: The Miracle And The Sleeper
    Dylan Parry, Aug 10, 2004
  18. James Smith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    >>while I dont want to belittle the work of your collegues but... who
    >>cares? It's about real world application in the context of web pages.

    > It's very short-sighted of you to think that academics don't have any
    > experience in industry. What do you think they do? Sit in their boxes all
    > day reading?

    That's not really what I meant! But academic life is very different from
    commercial life.

    My dad (who is an academic working in IT) is a good source of evidence :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 10, 2004
  19. James Smith

    Dave Patton Guest

    James Smith <> wrote in

    > Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
    > want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
    > window.

    Don't do that.

    What you could do is create a "preferences" page
    on your site, and on that page allow the visitor
    to your website to select how they want "help windows"
    to be handled. You can then store their preferences
    in a Cookie, and/or session variables, or, if they
    are visitors who already have logged into the site,
    along with their user information(e.g. in a database).
    You could offer options of "standard link"(which should
    be the default), "new browser window", or "small
    popup window"(i.e. via javascript).

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Aug 10, 2004
  20. James Smith

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <cfag2s$t2n$>,
    says...
    > If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
    > ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
    > is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
    > browser window.

    Hey since we have all heard these arguments about a million times,
    and it is always the regulars who argue, how about we just set up a
    code system. Then when you want to argue just include the code and
    we will all know what we are talking about.

    I propose the following code:

    Code 118: Javascript is bad
    Code 114: Javascript is good but only for non essential stuff
    Code 112: **** everyone I can use Javascript when ever I want.
    Code 105: What is Javascript?
    Code 90: Frames suck
    Code 85: Frames are great
    Code 66: Only iframes are bad
    Code 14: PopUp windows suck
    Code 11: Popups are ok is your use target=_blank

    and lastly
    Code 601: brucie likes to watch kangaroos having sex

    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Aug 11, 2004