Resizing problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    If you point your browser to http://www.all-the-johnsons.co.uk, you'll see
    a problem (other than the top logo). These are ALL IE problems

    At 800 x 600 on IE, there is a gap between the yellow box and the dashed
    line. If you resize the browser window to enlarge it, the yellow box
    expands faster than the text on the right and quickly covers the text on
    the right.

    If you reduce the size of the window, the yellow box decreases in size
    faster than the text on the right hand size.

    Obviously, there is a problem with the style sheet, but I can't see what.
    The left column is set at width 25%; (yes, it may be better to use ems -
    but would that sort the problem?) with no fixed size to the right column
    (though I have experimented with setting that at 75% with no joy).

    Any pointers to the problem would be appreciated. The stylesheet and
    index.html page both validate.

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul F. Johnson, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > If you point your browser to http://www.all-the-johnsons.co.uk,

    Please use the real URL when showing examples:
    http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk:84/

    > you'll see a problem (other than the top logo). These are ALL IE
    > problems
    >
    > At 800 x 600 on IE, there is a gap between the yellow box and the
    > dashed line. If you resize the browser window to enlarge it, the
    > yellow box expands faster than the text on the right and quickly
    > covers the text on the right.
    >
    > If you reduce the size of the window, the yellow box decreases in size
    > faster than the text on the right hand size.
    >
    > Obviously, there is a problem with the style sheet, but I can't see
    > what. The left column is set at width 25%; (yes, it may be better to
    > use ems - but would that sort the problem?) with no fixed size to the
    > right column (though I have experimented with setting that at 75%
    > with no joy).
    >
    > Any pointers to the problem would be appreciated. The stylesheet and
    > index.html page both validate.

    The problem is too much css. The layout you are trying to achieve has no
    need of position:fixed/relative. Make use of float and use em/ex for width
    values.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Nov 26, 2003