Response.redirect targetting

RSteph

Is that a way for me to tell a response.redirect command to open the page in
a new window.

I'm working with an existing ASP.NET site, using a "content management"
system to add links and such. I've got a menu link I'd like to have open in a
new window, I can specifiy the URL for the link, but the CMS doesn't allow me
to specify the target for it. So I was thinkin I would cheat and point it to
a page, then put a "Response.Redirect" command to automatically move it to
the other URL. But I would like to have it open in a new page.

I'm not sure if there's really a way to do this, or if I'll have to try to
work my way around re-programming the site and CMS. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob Barrows

RSteph said:
Is that a way for me to tell a response.redirect command to open the
page in a new window.
No. Server-side code has no concept of windows, etc. Those are all
client-side concepts.
I'm working with an existing ASP.NET site, using a "content

recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

management" system to add links and such. I've got a menu link I'd
like to have open in a new window, I can specifiy the URL for the
link, but the CMS doesn't allow me to specify the target for it. So I
was thinkin I would cheat and point it to a page, then put a
"Response.Redirect" command to automatically move it to the other
URL. But I would like to have it open in a new page.

Nope - won't work.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?UlN0ZXBo?=
Is that a way for me to tell a response.redirect command to open the
page in a new window.

I'm working with an existing ASP.NET site, using a "content
management" system to add links and such. I've got a menu link I'd
like to have open in a new window, I can specifiy the URL for the
link, but the CMS doesn't allow me to specify the target for it. So I
was thinkin I would cheat and point it to a page, then put a
"Response.Redirect" command to automatically move it to the other URL.
But I would like to have it open in a new page.

I'm not sure if there's really a way to do this, or if I'll have to
try to work my way around re-programming the site and CMS. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Although this is off-topic for this group, I would like to advise you
not to do this. Let your user decide to open a new window or tab.
Opening windows/tabs without warning the user before hand is annoying at
best, and alienating at worst because spawning windows/tabs breaks the
back button.