Restaurant+asp.net+palmtop

Paulo

Hi, I finished a asp.net restaurant/bar system, but when the waiter clicks
"send itens" on IE palmtop, it needs to send the itens to a printer wich
will be on the kitchen... What is the best approach doing that? The pc on
kitchen should have a exe running in background that listens the itens wich
arrives on the database and prints it?

What you suggest? Thanks!

VS 2005 asp.net 2.0 C#

George Ter-Saakov

I suggest a small compact printer with print server port (sometimes called
ZEBRANET).
Like this one Zebra TLP2844
http://www.systemid.com/barcode_printers/zebra_tlp2844.asp

Those printers support EPL or ZPL language. It's a simple language and you
do not need a driver for it.

Your ASP.NET application simply sends data via TCP/IP and printer prints....
No need to have computer on a kitchen. And you do not need separate exe
running in background..

You do not need a driver for those printers. They use EPL language which is
very easy language.
you basically send it commands like ^PO10,20^FSMy Name^XA
And it will print My Name position (10,20)

Below is the code to send bytes to TCP/IP printer.

George
public bool SendBytesToPrinter(byte[] p)

{

try

{

IPEndPoint ipEndPoint;

ipEndPoint = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse(_sName), 9100);

Socket socket;

using (socket = new Socket(

AddressFamily.InterNetwork,

SocketType.Stream,

ProtocolType.Tcp

))

{

socket.Connect(ipEndPoint);

socket.Send(p);

socket.Close();

}

return true;

}

catch (Exception e)

{

//TODO: do something with exception

return false;

Paulo

Do I need a printer that have a ip address? and the asp.net will send data
to this ip ?

Thanks!

Paulo said:
Hi, I finished a asp.net restaurant/bar system, but when the waiter
clicks "send itens" on IE palmtop, it needs to send the itens to a
printer wich will be on the kitchen... What is the best approach doing
that? The pc on kitchen should have a exe running in background that
listens the itens wich arrives on the database and prints it?

What you suggest? Thanks!

VS 2005 asp.net 2.0 C#

George Ter-Saakov

Yes, otherwise how you going to connect to it? But you do not need a
computer.

Several options

1. You can buy a print server (they cost $20-$50)separatelly from printer
but then you will additional box and AC adapter. Or you can by the one that
is very small and do not need power (it takes it from printer port).
http://www.system3x.com/barcode_printers/zebranet_printserver_ii_--102286.asp

2. You can buy printer with already built in network interface.

George.

Paulo said:
Hi, I finished a asp.net restaurant/bar system, but when the waiter
clicks "send itens" on IE palmtop, it needs to send the itens to a
printer wich will be on the kitchen... What is the best approach doing
that? The pc on kitchen should have a exe running in background that
listens the itens wich arrives on the database and prints it?

What you suggest? Thanks!

VS 2005 asp.net 2.0 C#

Jeff Dillon

Where is the web server located? The printer could be attached to that
machine.