RESTful Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by SimonW, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. SimonW

    SimonW Guest

    I am building a application using XUL, and am looking at using the REST
    approach rather than XML-RPC for the back end.

    I've setup a mod-python handler which can handle PUT, DELETE, POST and
    GET requests, but after that I seem to get lost. I guess this is more a
    REST question than a python question, however I ultimately would like to
    implement the entire backend in Python.

    I want to be able to address sections of an XML document using an URI,
    but I am not sure how to implement this. I've seen this done in Python
    before, however I cannot find the site again, and cannot recall the
    correct google incantations to re-discover it.

    Can anyone point me to some REST style implementations in Python?

    Regards,

    Simon R. Wittber
    http://www.metaplay.com.au
    Perth, Western Australia.
    SimonW, Jan 30, 2004

  2. "SimonW" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Can anyone point me to some REST style implementations in Python?

    Dave Kuhlman has written on RESTful programming with the Quixote Web framework:

    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/quixote_index.html

    -- G
    Graham Fawcett, Jan 30, 2004

  3. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:39:02 +0800,
    SimonW <> wrote:
    > I want to be able to address sections of an XML document using an URI,
    > but I am not sure how to implement this. I've seen this done in Python
    > before, however I cannot find the site again, and cannot recall the
    > correct google incantations to re-discover it.

    The usual way would be to use a fragment identifier, so that the client can
    find the right element, e.g. http://example.com/foo.xml#id45 means
    downloading foo.xml and looking for the element with an id="id45" attribute.
    But the fragment identifier isn't sent to the HTTP server, so you couldn't
    do a DEL or PUT to replace just that fragment; I don't know if that's what
    you want.

    > Can anyone point me to some REST style implementations in Python?

    Someone's already pointed you to Dave Kuhlman's article on REST and Quixote,
    which is a good start.

    --amk
    A.M. Kuchling, Jan 31, 2004