ridiculous

Richard

Rui Maciel said:
Larry Gates wrote:

I don't believe that disliking some usenet user is a valid technical reason to chose
a programming language over another. But to each it's own.

Rui Maciel

You reckon? .....

Rui Maciel

Antoninus said:
Unfortunately, this behavior has been caused by the arrogance and
blindness of the clc "regulars", like Keith Thomson in this thread.
<snip/>

As soon as the trolls realize that spending all that time in front of the computer is
bad for your health, specially mental health, and gather the courage to just step
away from the keyboard, get some sunlight on themselves and fresh air into their
lungs then all those problems they feel are caused by some user in a certain
newsgroup will suddenly vanish.

Rui Maciel

Kenny McCormack

<snip/>

As soon as the trolls realize that spending all that time in front of
the computer is bad for your health, specially mental health, and
gather the courage to just step away from the keyboard, get some
sunlight on themselves and fresh air into their lungs then all those
problems they feel are caused by some user in a certain newsgroup will
suddenly vanish.

Yes. I've been saying this about trolls like KT for years now.

See other posts, re: demonstrating just how damaged some of these
"people" are.

fmassei

Just looked through the lastest 10 messages or so, and at least half
of them were about offtopic stuff and 3 others were spam!

I wish people would exercise some common sense and civility. Sick of
wading through posts about Ada, Java, C++, XML and everything else
except C.

Are people actually now so moronic they type in "comp.lang.c" and post
a Java question and this doesn't raise a red flag in their cognition?

There is a problem with the *real* topic of this NS. clc has always
been used mainly to speak about clc, isn't it?

John Bode

John Bode said:
Thanks for making me break my promise to myself of staying out of
these bullshit threads.  I hope you're happy.

[...]

Nobody *made* you respond to a troll.

Yes he did. He used his tricksy Jedi mind powers on me. I was
helpless to resist. The whole time I was typing that message I was
screaming "STOP!" at myself (gathering strange looks from my
officemate and other people in the hall), but it was no use.

Keith Thompson

John Bode said:
John Bode said:
Thanks for making me break my promise to myself of staying out of
these bullshit threads.  I hope you're happy.

[...]

Nobody *made* you respond to a troll.

Yes he did. He used his tricksy Jedi mind powers on me. I was
helpless to resist. The whole time I was typing that message I was
screaming "STOP!" at myself (gathering strange looks from my
officemate and other people in the hall), but it was no use.

Oh, well, that's ok then.

REH

Yes he did.  He used his tricksy Jedi mind powers on me.  I was
helpless to resist.  The whole time I was typing that message I was
screaming "STOP!" at myself (gathering strange looks from my
officemate and other people in the hall), but it was no use.

Thanks! Now I'M getting strange looks for laughing to myself like a
lunatic.

REH

Larry Gates

Larry Gates wrote:

I don't believe that disliking some usenet user is a valid technical reason to chose
a programming language over another. But to each it's own.

Rui Maciel

I can't program for shit without peer review. So if I'm persona non grata
in clc, then I won't be doing anything in C.

The last time I was coding in C, I was working up a black word/white word
encoding scheme that Jack Klein describes in Unleashed. I was about two
thirds done when Barry Black insulted me in a way I couldn't ignore.

We can only speculate what would have happened if I continued with C and
clc, but I chose to drop the project and reduce the gradient of assholes in
my usenet experience.

One of the benefits of being trolled out by the Topic Hyenas some while
back is that I recommitted to studying fortran, and it's sooo much better
than C for many of the things I'm interested in calculating.

Today I responded to a post there that had clc on the f'up to let others
know that this is a clc thing that has pushed its borders a little. It's
probably only a matter of time that the rest of us find that we have been
"forged."

For better or worse, my writing style shows through my pseudonym; nobody
says tja like me. As Moroni wrote a hundred thousand times in metal:

"And it came to pass,"
--
larry gates

P.S. Perl's master plan (or what passes for one) is to take over the
world like English did. Er, *as* English did...
-- Larry Wall in <[email protected]>

Larry Gates

Thanks! Now I'M getting strange looks for laughing to myself like a
lunatic.

REH

I never believe people when they sat they're ROTFLMAO. An unplanned
chuckle is the best I ever do.

Never trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
--
larry gates

...sometimes collections of stupid utterances can be rather clever. If
my writings are ever published posthumously, they should probably be
called "A Collection of Stupid Utterances", or some such... :)
-- Larry Wall in <[email protected]>

REH

I never believe people when they sat they're ROTFLMAO.  An unplanned
chuckle is the best I ever do.

I really have no idea what that means. I infer from the context that
you are saying I am exaggerating. Perhaps, but it was still extremely
funny.

REH

Larry Gates

I really have no idea what that means. I infer from the context that
you are saying I am exaggerating. Perhaps, but it was still extremely
funny.

REH

It's Rolling On the Floor Laughing Their [My] Asses Off. I find that
people who write that think it amounts to a refutation. I mention
something about social justice and they think that liberals are just stupid
and they're Laughing Out Loud.

Larry Gates

The only person you have to blame for that is yourself.

I think what speaks against this is when persons higher up in the food
chain here team up to make sure that a project they don't like--and about
which they tend not to know a steaming pile of duke--receives no attention.
You could have achieved /that/ by not posting inflammatory and offtopic
comments. Do you also attempt to make friends in a pub by asking the
other customers if their wives are goers or telling the landlord his
beer reminds you of a horse you once had?

I write the way I write and am the way I am.

Ich kann nicht anders.

James Kuyper

Larry said:
I think what speaks against this is when persons higher up in the food
chain here team up to make sure that a project they don't like--and about
which they tend not to know a steaming pile of duke--receives no attention.

No one is "higher up in the food chain" than anyone else here. This is a
virtual meeting place - it's not possible to eat or to be eaten, not
even metaphorically (at least, I see no way to apply the metaphor).

There's not a thing anyone can do to make sure that a project "receives
no attention". Everyone gets a chance to decide, for themselves, whether
or not they want to pay attention to it, and there's not a thing that
anyone else can do to stop them if they decide that they do want to pay
attention.

I write the way I write and am the way I am.

And you are getting the responses you can reasonably expect to get from
the way you write.

Larry Gates

You lie. And you pretend not to understand.

I think he speaks the truth. It's nice the predators become prey.

James has only been helpful to me.
--
larry gates

The whole history of computers is rampant with cheerleading at best and
bigotry at worst.

Kenny said:
You lie.  And you pretend not to understand.

Could you give an example demonstrating this so called food chain and point out
what makes you feel that other users are higher than you in this hierarchy?

Rui Maciel

Antoninus Twink

No one is "higher up in the food chain" than anyone else here.

Perfectly true.

If only you and your friends behaved like you believed it, then this
group would be a very different place.

Antoninus Twink

Yes he did. He used his tricksy Jedi mind powers on me. I was
helpless to resist. The whole time I was typing that message I was
screaming "STOP!" at myself (gathering strange looks from my
officemate and other people in the hall), but it was no use.

:)

But seriously, I think people who say things like "Twink, Han, Richard
and Kenny are trolls who only want to disrupt the group" are quite
simply being intellectually dishonest, and are reacting on an emotional
level instead of rationally.

It's clear that the "trolls" are serious people with an appetite for
technical discussions, and a positive vision for this group. Other
people may disagree with this vision, but why not discuss it like adults
instead of slinging mud?

Many people have had serious, civilized discussions on this group at one
time or another with one or more of the "trolls": it's only when the
stupid insults start flying that people decide to fight fire with fire.

Richard Tobin

Antoninus Twink said:
It's clear that the "trolls" are serious people with an appetite for
technical discussions, and a positive vision for this group.

Hint: it's not working.

-- Richard

Kenny McCormack

Perfectly true.

If only you and your friends behaved like you believed it, then this
group would be a very different place.

(Just to argue the other side...)

The general idea is that, in absolute reality, *no one* is "higher up in
the food chain" than anyone else, in any context - since, we all know
that everybody puts their pants on one leg at a time. We are all just
human animals.

But, back in the faith-based world, where if enough people believe
something and/or if enough people repeat it loud enough and often enough,
then it is true. In that world, clearly there is a hierarchy here.
Clearly, we have a Godfather. Clearly, we have an Android. (*)

(*) See the "Warriors" site if these references are not clear.

P.S. Yes, the original idea of Usenet was that it was supposed to be an
organization of peers. It was, originally, collegial. However, this
fell apart when they opened it up to the masses in the mid 90s. The
masses are naturally hierarchical; thus the current (re-) arrangement
was inevitable.