[RIP] Guy Decoux.

Vassilis Rizopoulos

This is a loss for Ruby Community.

In the name of french association RubyFrance, I present my condolences
to Guy Decoux's family, his friends and his collegues.
This is a shock and a big loss indeed.
Guy's posts in ruby-talk is one of the reasons I stuck with Ruby.
Trying to wrap my head around the code and figure out what the answer
was and going "I'll be damned, this guy just cranks out code faster than
I can understand it".
I still strive to write code like Guy and his style of answering with
lots of -self explanatory- code and few unecessary words is someting I
admire even as I constantly fail to copy.
He will be missed.
V.-

Eleanor McHugh

This is a shock and a big loss indeed.
Guy's posts in ruby-talk is one of the reasons I stuck with Ruby.
Trying to wrap my head around the code and figure out what the
answer was and going "I'll be damned, this guy just cranks out code
faster than I can understand it".
I still strive to write code like Guy and his style of answering
with lots of -self explanatory- code and few unecessary words is
someting I admire even as I constantly fail to copy.

I know that feeling all too well. Guy wrote beautifully terse poetry
that just happened to be Ruby, or so it often seemed, and many times
I've envied him that gift. Commemorating him some way within Ruby
itself would be an excellent tribute to not only his keen insight into
the deeper recesses of the language itself, but his willingness to
share that insight freely with others.

He was a true example of what makes the Ruby community so warm and
welcoming, and his passing will be felt by us all.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

Trans

Hello,

I'm sad to announce you Guy Decoux's death in the beginning of the month
of July 20008. He was 53 years old. He died accidentally, intoxicated by
the smokes of the fire that took place during the night in his flat in
Louveciennes (near Paris).

:(

RIP.

pat eyler

On Sep 24, 2008, at 5:50 PM, Jean-Fran=E7ois Tr=E2n wrote:

I'm sad to announce you Guy Decoux's death in the beginning of the month

Like everyone else, I'll miss his presence, and his wit.

A suggestion. Ruby Central was, I believe, thinking of a grant program at
some point in the future. Could his name somehow be associated with these
grants? ts gave a lot to the community. It would seem fit to use his name
when the community itself gives something to others.

I'll second this. I'd love to see a Guy Decoux memorial grant (lor a ts.
memorial grant). What a great way to honor someone who gave so much to the
community.

--=20
thanks,
-pate

Bernhard Leicher

Jean-François Trân said:
Hello,

I'm sad to announce you Guy Decoux's death in the beginning of the month
of July 20008. He was 53 years old. He died accidentally, intoxicated by
the smokes of the fire that took place during the night in his flat in
Louveciennes (near Paris).

How sad this is, and how tragic: My sincere condolences!

Bernhard

Robert Klemme

Roger Pack

I'm sad to announce you Guy Decoux's death in the beginning of the month
of July 20008. He was 53 years old. He died accidentally, intoxicated by
the smokes of the fire that took place during the night in his flat in
Louveciennes (near Paris).

Thanks for your contributions, Guy!
-=R