    Cheers,

    -- Juancarlo
    , Mar 3, 2013

  2. On 02Mar2013 17:35, <> wrote:
    | I have a set of processes that bring any number of cores to 100%
    | use when unsynchronized (they take independent jobs from a queue).
    |
    | As soon as I add an RLock to handle shared access to a file-system
    | directory, the CPU utilization drops to 60%.
    |
    | I'm not talking about overall speed here, but about processes
    | that were CPU bound and suddenly become bound to something else
    | with RLock.

    Shrug. If your threads do some I/O and now block where they would
    have overlapped then suddenly your threads can't do compute all the
    time. Ergo, less CPU utilisation.

    Without more detail nobody can say where your particular bottleneck
    lies, but I would be very very surprised if the RLock was the
    bottleneck; what you're doing _inside_ the RLock is the bottleneck.
    --
    Cameron Simpson <>

    My computer always does exactly what I tell it to do but sometimes I have
    trouble finding out what it was that I told it to do.
    - Dick Wexelblat <>
    Cameron Simpson, Mar 3, 2013