    completely removing the complete .cpan dir? If I keep part of it intact,
    will it make upgrading any easier?

    Thanks!!

    Bill M, Feb 18, 2012

  2. Bill M

    Bill M Guest

    Ben Morrow wrote, On 2/18/2012 2:52 PM:

    > Quoth Bill M<wpmccormick@just_about_everywhere.com>:
    >> My production machine has only a small (2G)

    > (Small? When Oi were a lad all us had were 400K 40-track floppies...)
    >
    >> flash drive and I want to
    >> free up as much space as is possible. What are the implications of
    >> completely removing the complete .cpan dir? If I keep part of it intact,
    >> will it make upgrading any easier?

    > You want to keep .cpan/CPAN and .cpan/prefs (unless it's empty), since
    > they both contain irreplaceable preferences; and if you've generated any
    > bundles in .cpan/Bundle you need to check if you still want them.
    > Everything else can go, though of course it will need to be downloaded
    > again if you need it.
    >
    > You may also want to look into App::cpanminus, which is much better
    > about not keeping things for too long. For one thing, it doesn't try to
    > keep a local copy of the metadata.
    >
    > Ben

    Thanks Ben. You date yourself. Moore's Law has indeed been kind to us,
    the early struggles notwithstanding.

    Speaking of Bundle, I will eventually want to make a Bundle to speed up
    the roll out of production machines (something I've not done before). I
    gather I should do this BEFORE I remove anything?

    I tried cpanm hoping that it would offer some mechanism to remove
    targeted (unwanted) modules. It did not (or didn't work), so I just went
    back to cpan.

    Thanks!!

    Bill M, Feb 18, 2012

  3. Bill M

    Reini Urban Guest

    On 02/18/2012 01:28 PM, Bill M wrote:
    > My production machine has only a small (2G) flash drive and I want to
    > free up as much space as is possible. What are the implications of
    > completely removing the complete .cpan dir? If I keep part of it intact,
    > will it make upgrading any easier?

    Keep .cpan but rm -rf .cpan/build and ./cpan/sources if you are low on
    disc space.
    Using cpanm is preferred as it is faster using online metadata and does
    not keep slack.
    --
    Reini

    Reini Urban, Mar 1, 2012