rm .cpan?

Bill M

My production machine has only a small (2G) flash drive and I want to
free up as much space as is possible. What are the implications of
completely removing the complete .cpan dir? If I keep part of it intact,
will it make upgrading any easier?

Thanks!!

Bill M

Ben Morrow wrote, On 2/18/2012 2:52 PM:
(Small? When Oi were a lad all us had were 400K 40-track floppies...)

You want to keep .cpan/CPAN and .cpan/prefs (unless it's empty), since
they both contain irreplaceable preferences; and if you've generated any
bundles in .cpan/Bundle you need to check if you still want them.
Everything else can go, though of course it will need to be downloaded
again if you need it.

You may also want to look into App::cpanminus, which is much better
about not keeping things for too long. For one thing, it doesn't try to
keep a local copy of the metadata.

Ben

Thanks Ben. You date yourself. Moore's Law has indeed been kind to us,
the early struggles notwithstanding.

Speaking of Bundle, I will eventually want to make a Bundle to speed up
the roll out of production machines (something I've not done before). I
gather I should do this BEFORE I remove anything?

I tried cpanm hoping that it would offer some mechanism to remove
targeted (unwanted) modules. It did not (or didn't work), so I just went
back to cpan.

Thanks!!

Reini Urban

My production machine has only a small (2G) flash drive and I want to
free up as much space as is possible. What are the implications of
completely removing the complete .cpan dir? If I keep part of it intact,
will it make upgrading any easier?

Keep .cpan but rm -rf .cpan/build and ./cpan/sources if you are low on
disc space.
Using cpanm is preferred as it is faster using online metadata and does
not keep slack.

Reini Urban