RMI broken in Java 6 Update 10

Discussion in 'Java' started by FutureScalper, Nov 2, 2008.

  1. My RMI code has worked perfectly prior to Update 10.

    The _Stub class, which is in my jar, could not be loaded by the
    classloader, and it was not a security problem.

    What has changed in RMI for update 10 ? I doubt I am the only one
    with this problem.

    OUT: 08.11.02 01:18:23.874: RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl object created.
    ERR: 08.11.02 01:18:23.907: java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException
    occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
    java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested
    exception is:
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
    com.twc.remote.RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl_Stub
    java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread;
    nested exception is:
    java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested
    exception is:
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
    com.twc.remote.RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl_Stub
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.oldDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(Unknown
    Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    at
    sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(Unknown
    Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.rebind(Unknown Source)
    at java.rmi.Naming.rebind(Unknown Source)
    at com.twc.trader.ZoneTrader.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.twc.trader.ZoneTrader.createAndShowGUI(Unknown Source)
    at com.twc.trader.ZoneTrader.access$3(Unknown Source)
    at com.twc.trader.ZoneTrader$95.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
    Source)
    Caused by: java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments;
    nested exception is:
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
    com.twc.remote.RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl_Stub
    at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Skel.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.oldDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(Unknown
    Source)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    *** The class not found is clearly in the jar ***
    com.twc.remote.RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl_Stub
    at sun.rmi.server.LoaderHandler.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.server.LoaderHandler.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader$2.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.rmi.server.MarshalInputStream.resolveClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(Unknown Source)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(Unknown Source)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(Unknown Source)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source)
    at java.io_ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
    ... 12 more

    OUT: 08.11.02 01:18:23.907: RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl Naming.rebind
    FAILURE.
    FutureScalper, Nov 2, 2008

  2. FutureScalper

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    FutureScalper wrote:
    > My RMI code has worked perfectly prior to Update 10.
    >
    > The _Stub class, which is in my jar, could not be loaded by the
    > classloader, and it was not a security problem.
    >
    > What has changed in RMI for update 10 ? I doubt I am the only one
    > with this problem.

    Could you post code and directory structure to recreate the problem ?

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 2, 2008

  3. No, code is way too complex. In a nutshell, this is a standalone
    Java application which permits a portion of the code to be accessed
    externally as an RMI server. Thus, two instances of my executable
    can "talk" to each other via RMI. Pretty straight forward, really;
    and has been working for years.

    I would have expected perhaps some Security problem preventing
    the classloading, but that is not the case. The classes are, and
    have always been in the jar on the classpath.

    Previously, I instantiated the Impl and, in the constructor
    simply called Naming.rebind("servicename", this). I've separated
    this out to make it much cleaner, and made SURE that all RMI handles
    are STATIC variables so they do not disappear prior/during the binding
    process, etc.

    I spent hours trying to get it to work on Update 10, trying everything
    in the book, so to speak, and I just have to get my users to roll back
    uninstall Java 6 Update 10 until / unless I can figure it out.

    FutureScalper, Nov 2, 2008
  4. FutureScalper

    Lew Guest

    FutureScalper wrote:
    > No, code is way too complex. In a nutshell, this is a standalone

    Please do not top-post. Without some clue of your code it is awfully hard to
    diagnose what you're seeing.

    > Java application which permits a portion of the code to be accessed
    > externally as an RMI server. Thus, two instances of my executable
    > can "talk" to each other via RMI. Pretty straight forward, really;
    > and has been working for years.

    Are you absolutely sure you cannot construct a short, self-contained
    compilable example (SSCCE) of an RMI call that demonstrates your problem?
    <http://sscce.org/>

    > Previously, I instantiated the Impl and, in the constructor
    > simply called Naming.rebind("servicename", this). I've separated
    > this out to make it much cleaner, and made SURE that all RMI handles
    > are STATIC variables so they do not disappear prior/during the binding
    > process, etc.

    Static variables are an antipattern.

    FutureScalper wrote:
    >>> My RMI code has worked perfectly prior to Update 10.
    >>> The _Stub class, which is in my jar, could not be loaded by the
    >>> classloader, and it was not a security problem.
    >>> What has changed in RMI for update 10 ? I doubt I am the only one
    >>> with this problem.

    Is this relevant?
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/relnotes.html>
    > Dynamic Generation of Stub Classes (since 5.0)
    > This release adds support for the dynamic generation of stub classes at
    > runtime, obviating the need to use the Java Remote Method Invocation (Java
    > RMI) stub compiler, rmic, to pregenerate stub classes for remote objects. Note
    > that rmic must still be used to pregenerate stub classes for remote objects
    > that need to support clients running on earlier versions.

    I reviewed
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/index.html>
    but didn't find anything that seems to help.

    It would help to have an SSCCE.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Nov 2, 2008
  5. I spawn rmiregistry.exe on Windows as a separate process, and each
    of my instances registers a unique name for its services. All
    access is localhost, for purposes of this discussion.

    Again, the primary exception is class not found exception, so
    if this is a bug, it affects class loading of the _Stub class
    I'd say.

    I guess I can construct some sort of test case. But doesn't
    the exception give enough information? Why would the _Stub
    class loading be the issue? It's in the jar.

    OK, it's a signed jar, and OK, it's run by Java Web Start; there
    are quite a few variables here, but it's a straightforward usage
    of RMI which has worked forever without any issues until Update
    10 came along.

    FutureScalper, Nov 2, 2008
  6. No, I am not trying to use an inprocess rmi registry. The
    rmiregistry.exe process is running in a separate process so
    that isn't the issue.

    FutureScalper, Nov 2, 2008
  7. I generate the jar using this rmic approach; and am not relying
    upon the new "stubless" approach

    rem compiling and adding skel and stub to ZoneTrader.jar
    rmic -v1.2 -keep -classpath ../bin -d ./bin
    com.twc.remote.RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl
    jar -uf FutureScalper.jar -C ./bin com/twc/remote/
    RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl_Stub.class
    rem Stub added to FutureScalper.jar

    FutureScalper, Nov 2, 2008
  8. FutureScalper

    Lew Guest

    Please do not top-post.

    FutureScalper wrote:
    > I generate the jar using this rmic approach; and am not relying
    > upon the new "stubless" approach

    What would happen if you did try the stub-free approach?

    We really need an SSCCE.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Nov 2, 2008
  9. FutureScalper

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    FutureScalper wrote:
    > On Nov 2, 1:49 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> FutureScalper wrote:
    >>> My RMI code has worked perfectly prior to Update 10.
    >>> The _Stub class, which is in my jar, could not be loaded by the
    >>> classloader, and it was not a security problem.
    >>> What has changed in RMI for update 10 ? I doubt I am the only one
    >>> with this problem.

    >> Could you post code and directory structure to recreate the problem ?

    > No, code is way too complex.

    In that case nobody can
    * confirm whether it is a bug
    * identify under what circumstances it materializes
    * check whether it already is known
    * make an official bug report with SUN

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 2, 2008
  10. On Nov 2, 3:17 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Please do not top-post.
    >
    > FutureScalper wrote:
    > > I generate the jar using this rmic approach; and am not relying
    > > upon the new "stubless" approach

    > What would happen if you did try the stub-free approach?
    >
    > We really need an SSCCE.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    OK, thanks. Over the next few weeks I'll get around
    to figuring it out and will post what I find.
    FutureScalper, Nov 2, 2008
  11. FutureScalper wrote:

    [provide source-code]
    > No, code is way too complex.

    Sorry, but if it really is a bug in the JVM it must be
    possible to create an example of a remote-interface with
    corresponding implementation and RMI-client-class that
    lead to the error.

    Independent from that, check the filesystem, if the Stub-
    class-file resides in the corresponding directory after
    calling rmic (or the ant-target if you like).

    If there is no Stub-class there is no problem in understanding
    why there is a ClassNotFoundError.

    Regards, Lothar
    --
    Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail:

    questions!
    Lothar Kimmeringer, Nov 3, 2008
  12. FutureScalper

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Lothar Kimmeringer wrote:
    > FutureScalper wrote:
    > [provide source-code]
    >> No, code is way too complex.

    > Sorry, but if it really is a bug in the JVM it must be
    > possible to create an example of a remote-interface with
    > corresponding implementation and RMI-client-class that
    > lead to the error.

    I am pretty sure that he think it is a bug in the Java library
    or the Java utilities - not in the JVM.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 3, 2008
  13. FutureScalper

    dremspider Guest

    On Nov 2, 3:12 pm, FutureScalper <> wrote:
    > I generate the jar using this rmic approach; and am not relying
    > upon the new "stubless" approach
    >
    > rem compiling and adding skel and stub to ZoneTrader.jar
    > rmic -v1.2 -keep -classpath ../bin -d ./bin
    > com.twc.remote.RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl
    > jar -uf FutureScalper.jar -C ./bin com/twc/remote/
    > RemoteIndicatorServiceImpl_Stub.class
    > rem Stub added to FutureScalper.jar
    >
    > On Nov 2, 2:55 pm, FutureScalper <> wrote:> No, I am not trying to use an inprocess rmi registry.  The
    > > rmiregistry.exe process is running in a separate process so
    > > that isn't the issue.

    > > > Please do not top-post.  Without some clue of your code it is awfully hard to
    > > > diagnose what you're seeing.

    > > > Are you absolutely sure you cannot construct a short, self-contained
    > > > compilable example (SSCCE) of an RMI call that demonstrates your problem?
    > > > <http://sscce.org/>

    > > > Static variables are an antipattern.

    > > > Is this relevant?
    > > > <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/relnotes.html>

    > > > I reviewed
    > > > <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/index.html>
    > > > but didn't find anything that seems to help.

    > > > It would help to have an SSCCE.

    > > > --
    > > > Lew

    Has anyone verified this? I have am new to RMI and need to use it for
    a project in my class. I have been banging my head for hours. At
    this point all I have tried are tutorials online as well as copying
    and pasting code from Sun as well as others and I still can't get it
    to work as it keeps failing with the same error. I saw this message
    and started to think that it may just be an issue with Java. I have
    tried it on Linux and Windows and each time when I generate the stubs
    with rmic I only get a stub file and not a skeleton file. I then try
    to run it and I get a message that the stub class is not found, even
    though it is in my class path and all of that. Can anyone verify this
    is the case?

    http://www.onezerozeroone.eu/html/rmi_howto.html
    dremspider, Nov 12, 2008
  14. On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:17:17 -0500, Lew wrote:

    > Please do not top-post.
    >
    > FutureScalper wrote:
    >> I generate the jar using this rmic approach; and am not relying upon
    >> the new "stubless" approach

    > What would happen if you did try the stub-free approach?
    >
    > We really need an SSCCE.

    With JDK 1.6.0_10 on Ubuntu Linux the stub-free approach works. Under the
    circumstances, if I were in the same boat _and_ could update the clients
    to at least 5.0, I'd go that route.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Nov 16, 2008