role based authentication

Guest

I already have a user database and would like to include role based security
on my asp.net pages. I see a lot of articals on how to do it withe sql tables
that ship with 2.0, but not much without. Can anyone give me an example of
how to set a user into a role, say as an Admin, but without using the sql
tables noted above?

Thanks
KES

Guest

If you want to use the Provider mechanism but instead with a custom User
table(s) of your own design, then you need to create your own custom
Membership Provider by overriding the appropriate ProviderBase class.

I have a short article here that illustrates how to do this with Profile,
Membership would be very similar:

Best of luck,
Peter

Guest

thanks for replying
i guess i was hoping for something simple like just assigning a few admin
users in the web.config file. something like :
<roles name="Admin" userid="usridxxx" />
--
thanks (as always)
some day i''m gona pay this forum back for all the help i''m getting